Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDDenniZZZ)
    Err, crawl on the bite of the clutch as you approach, also lean forward to check if other cars are coming to make it more obvious.
    Had my lesson. I did stall a few times while doing that. JUst takes practise, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atrixa)
    Had my lesson. I did stall a few times while doing that. JUst takes practise, I suppose.
    I hate stalling, I can't normally feel the bite, I just guess. You'll get the hang of it without thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    My driving's gone backwards in the last couple of lessons and my shoes are at fault.

Usually I wear pumps/flats whilst driving, as I find I can "feel" what the pedals are doing easily. It's hard to explain. On Sunday I decided to wear my trusty converse shoes for a change. They're a bit thicker, and I wear them quite often, so I decided to see what it would be like to drive in them. I found I preferred my flats but I thought I'd give them another chance tonight. It was even worse :| I've discovered that thicker soles make it less easy for me to control the gas. There were many, many times where I thought I was applying enough gas and then I wasn't, so I ended up making the car shake when going into 3rd (never done that before) and stalling just as I went onto a roundabout. Also felt like I had to press the gas pedal a lot more than usual, just to build up some speed. Affected braking too, I was braking a bit late until I got used to it. Basically, the pedals felt much further down than they actually were.

Sure, it was probably my own fault, as I can judge by hearing the revs, but I was driving in the rain tonight which I've never done before so the engine was quieter than usual. And when I told my instructor this he told me to blame the shoes. So I'm blaming the shoes :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Had a 2 hour lesson today 12 -2. It was ok i guess.

My instructor has picked up on two habits which i seem to have got into at the moment. Keeps telling me that i am bringing the handbrake up too early when stopping (i.e. the car is still in motion), he was coutning how many times i did it in the lesson - he counted way over 4 times! Oh, and also he told me i keep 'waving' my left hand around in mid-air, when it should either be on gearstick or the wheel. No idea, where i have picked them up from tho as i haven't been out anywhere to pick them up!

Keep bringing the handbrake up unecessarily too!

Did a terrible Parallel Park. I know what way to turn the wheel, just can never seem to judge when to turn it. I ended up nearly hitting the kerb loads of times in the manouevre. Instructor said he let me go wrong, so that i could see how to correct it.

Managed to stall twice in the lesson!

Oh, and also managed a gear change where i horribly crunched instructor's gearbox. Haha, don't think he was too pleased with that, tho it is a BSM car. Haha, he was like "That was a HORRIBLE gearchange. Do that on your own car, and the gearbox won't last very long at all." Started going on about the cost of gearboxes too, LOL! :p:

On my RRC manouevre, he said that it would probs be a pass. BUT the only question could be the amount of time that it took me. Not my fault if i had some lad doing wheelies on his bike, and i didn't know where he was going, LOL! :p:

Oh and i thought i broke his mirror too! On my PP manouevre, he asked me if i could see the kerb, and i was like "Erm, well i could, but now i can't" so he told me to move the mirror down. I started moving it down with the electrical controls, and it kinda went down quite a bit and then jumped up, haha, i just left it in the end for fear i'd broke it! :p:

I'm never gonna be able to consistently do RRC, PP or BP manouevres tho. Always **** them up!

Got another 2 hour lesson tomorrow afternoon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C274)
    My driving's gone backwards in the last couple of lessons and my shoes are at fault.

Usually I wear pumps/flats whilst driving, as I find I can "feel" what the pedals are doing easily. It's hard to explain. On Sunday I decided to wear my trusty converse shoes for a change. They're a bit thicker, and I wear them quite often, so I decided to see what it would be like to drive in them. I found I preferred my flats but I thought I'd give them another chance tonight. It was even worse :| I've discovered that thicker soles make it less easy for me to control the gas. There were many, many times where I thought I was applying enough gas and then I wasn't, so I ended up making the car shake when going into 3rd (never done that before) and stalling just as I went onto a roundabout. Also felt like I had to press the gas pedal a lot more than usual, just to build up some speed. Affected braking too, I was braking a bit late until I got used to it. Basically, the pedals felt much further down than they actually were.

Sure, it was probably my own fault, as I can judge by hearing the revs, but I was driving in the rain tonight which I've never done before so the engine was quieter than usual. And when I told my instructor this he told me to blame the shoes. So I'm blaming the shoes :ninja:
    LOL

I ALWAYS wear my flats when driving. I will not risk anything thicker than 2cm!! :p:

I will prob start driving in different kinds of footwear after i pass. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    When i drive, i wear a hat to keep all my hair back so i can see clearly, I wear it on most lessons, but once or twice i had not worn it, causing my 'long hair' to slightly block my vision. My driving instructor didn't pick up or say anything.
    I was just thinking after reading about people taking off coats/scarfs ect, would i have to remove my hat in the test? Even though it might reduce my vison a bit.

I know it's a random question but i just want to clear it up incase i end up going to my test and not being able to see :O:O:O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyth)
    When i drive, i wear a hat to keep all my hair back so i can see clearly, I wear it on most lessons, but once or twice i had not worn it, causing my 'long hair' to slightly block my vision. My driving instructor didn't pick up or say anything.
    I was just thinking after reading about people taking off coats/scarfs ect, would i have to remove my hat in the test? Even though it might reduce my vison a bit.

I know it's a random question but i just want to clear it up incase i end up going to my test and not being able to see :O:O:O
    Haha I ALWAYS put my hair up when driving. :p:

Once I didnt quite do it well, so i had some ( LOTS) of fly-aways and the windows in the car were like half open. It was ok for most part. Then we went on the dual carriageway. Whilst on the slip road she said to me : Close the window cos it will get windy. I was like :eek3: IM JOINING THE CARRIAGEWAY WOMAN!! So yeah, after about 5 min of complete obstruction and crazyness of The Hair i managed to close the window. lol

Never again. ALWAYS make sure my hair is properly secured.

ReputationRep:
    Just had the worst driving lesson ever.

My instructor was forcing me to do things I didn't feel safe doing stupid idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingshoes10)
    Just had the worst driving lesson ever.

My instructor was forcing me to do things I didn't feel safe doing stupid idiot.
    What kind of things?

ReputationRep:
    Just had my last lesson before my test next week! :woo:

Mostly I practice manouveres as it's a new car and I'm going to have to do my test in it, as my instructors old car is going to be at the garage. I'm not too worried though - the practice made me a bit more confident about where the turning points are, and I find using the clutch and changing gears much easier in this car!

Still a bit worried about roundabouts though. I still seem to approach roundabout/ junctions a bit too fast, or end up pulling out in front of cars

ReputationRep:
    Just passed my driving test, first time, 2 driver faults. Whooppppeeee! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    Just passed my driving test, first time, 2 driver faults. Whooppppeeee! :woo:
    Haha, congrats - a very successful summer for you eh?!

Had my fourth lesson - getting so much better now, it really makes a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Haha, congrats - a very successful summer for you eh?!

Had my fourth lesson - getting so much better now, it really makes a difference.
    Yeah Just heard I got an A* in the GCSE ICT short course I had to take this year too Today is a good day!

To everyone out there who has failed their test, don't give up hope - I was convinced that I was going to fail halfway through my test, but carried on as normal and it turned out I got a minor for what I thought would be a major! Plus it's a lot to do with luck and hoping there aren't any idiots on the road

ReputationRep:
    Trying to rebook another test asap.

I think the majors I got last time should be easily rectified, and they were a bit unlucky, so I'm sure it'll be alright second time round. It's just finding another date that is the problem.

I need to pass before uni starts back up on the 21st though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atrixa)
    What kind of things?
    LOL ahaha I realise that sounds dodgy now.

But no it was only driving stuff like turning into a road of a main road where cars are going like 100 mph.

ReputationRep:
    Had another two hour lesson today.

Instructor was still picking up on the fact that lots of times when stopping the car, i bring the handbrake up before the car has stopped. Darn it!

We did one of them emergency stop things. Last time i did one of them was wayyyyyy back in like October, or something. :eek: He took me down a straight piece of country road that never gets used really, so is dead quiet. Made me get up to 30mph, and then he said 'STOP' and i had to press the brake as fast and hard as possible. He said that i pressed it a little too slow after he'd said, but then said that i deffo pressed it hard enough, because i successfully managed to make everything on the back seats fall off. LOL! :p:

I stalled a few times! Instructor had to press the brake a few times too, to stop me pulling out infront of some cars.

Oh, then we was gonna do a PP, so he told me to pull up in a safe and convenient place. Get me unable to pull up close and parallel to the kerb. :p: I had to laugh, we were reversing back and i couldn't for the life of me get it close cos i didn't know which way to turn the wheel! :p: We were moving further and further away as i was reversing back trying to get close. Instructor was like :rolleyes:, kept pressing the brake so i kept stopping. Then he was like 'Nooo, don't stop the car, keep it moving and get us close to the kerb. I'm just pressing the brake, to slow you down!'

Also managed to get loads of hesitations in there too at roundabouts. One i stopped at, i was waiting for a bleedin' bus what wasn't even't coming anywhere near us, cos he was turning left! Instructor was like 'That's hesitation' :o:

Keeps making me take the handbrake off in some places too after i've put it on, cos i don't need it. Haha, i put it cos am scared of damaging other people's cars. :p: Would rather have handbrake on, than let the car roll back into the dude behind me!

Got another two lessons next week. Both two hours. One on Thursday at 12-2. And one on Friday at 9.30-11.30. Haha, the Friday one should be fun, never driven at the time of the morning before! :p: Always been around 12ish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alisa25)
    LOL

I ALWAYS wear my flats when driving. I will not risk anything thicker than 2cm!! :p:

I will prob start driving in different kinds of footwear after i pass. :yep:
    Me too. It was actually my instructor's idea to try different shoes after he noticed that I kept wearing the same ones, because he thinks you should be able to drive in just about any shoes. Sod him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C274)
    Me too. It was actually my instructor's idea to try different shoes after he noticed that I kept wearing the same ones, because he thinks you should be able to drive in just about any shoes. Sod him.
    Well its your choice!! You decide what to wear!! :woo:

What if you didnt have any other shoes?! Jerk. :rolleyes:
    *sorry about that..*

ReputationRep:
    Oh God, I was in my lesson today and we were at building traffic lights and my friend was waiting behind me and I don't think she noticed and when it turned green I stalled so bad. HATE uphill starts

ReputationRep:
    I have a question about give way lines. Is it dangerous/wrong to stop at a give way line when you're not sure whether its safe to go on, or if you need time to look around properly before going on?

I was basically about to merge onto a major road. There were give way lines between the minor and major road. My intructor said they were there to give way to traffic making a U-turn on the major road. I decided to stop at the give way lines because I wanted to properly look around, but apparently, there was no traffic making the U-turn.

My intructor said that it was quite disappointing that I didn't know when to stop/not to stop at a give way line, considering I've passed my theory test.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.