The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8920
Had me 2 hour lesson today, got my turn in the road around 90% perfected just need to keep my observation up, was crusing along on a 30mph road, cyclist was riding on the pavement, idiot guy just pulls out onto the road without even looking or signalling, swerves out in front of me, had to brake harshly, and me instructor shouts to him "Don't you know how to cycle?" then he goes back on the pavement without paying any notice.

Then I was crawling along in traffic and this women behind me kept horning away, don't know why when there was traffic ahead of me! Things like that piss you off! We was on a straight road not like I was blocking any junctions!

Other road users at times can piss you off, another guy in a 1.0l Polo kept slowing down in front of me, then signalling left, would slow down, would brake near the kerb, and then move off again with signal on, kept doing this for a few times with no space to overtake due to narrow roads and flowing traffic in other direction! Argh!

Other wise had a pretty good lesson, getting use to foot and hand controls and flowing it all in together and awareness ahead etc.
Cyth
Ahh, well i was hoping to take it in my car. I'd already had 22 hours with an instructor in his car.. But i couldn't drive it well as my feet we're to bit and kept getting stuck on this board just infront of the pedels :eek3:
In my car it seems a lot easier to drive, was ust hoping if i could get an instructer to sit in for 2 or 3 lessons to make sure i'd not picked up any bad habits ect. Buy hey, i might just go book it after i've had more practise and hope for the best, thanks :smile:

After around 15 hours (and me telling my instructor several times I could drive my own car better and him not believing me) we had a lesson in my car. We had literally got just one street away and he said straight away I was driving better :p:.

Some instructors will but some won't. I guess it depends how good they think your driving is, as in your own car there are no dual pedals and so it could potentially be dangerous. But I carried on taking lessons in my car, and also took my test in my car, as it was going to be the car I would be driving after I passed, and it seemed pointless learning to drive a car I never would drive again. It's worth asking your instructor anyway!
lilangel890
Yup, definitely. Cos after all if lights went green, you moved slightly, car behind moved... Yeah I've been the car before. Lol good job I hold back a bit. Can be very dangerous. I've had people so far up my backside my instructor's said 'whatever you do, don't stall' Hehe

If you cause another road user to slow down, swerve or stop (or not get going in the first place lol!)

Around my area the examiners just put a stall down as a minor fault. :s-smilie:
Captain Biggles

You sure? :confused: It's a minor, apparently, if you stall when say pulling up. But not any time where traffic is behind. After all if someone stalled infront of you and you went to go *emergency stop* If it's only a minor for that then I am moving!
I haven't had a lesson in weeks, starting 8 hours a week in afew weeks and just booked my test!!!
lilangel890
You sure? It's a minor, apparently, if you stall when say pulling up. But not any time where traffic is behind. After all if someone stalled infront of you and you went to go *emergency stop* If it's only a minor for that then I am moving!

I think it's only a fail-worthy fault if you actually obstruct the traffic and make them slow down/change course. If you were at the lights and were unfortunate enough to stall then it would be the fault of the car behind in assuming it was safe to begin to move off when the car in front (you) wasn't moving. As long as the correct procedures were made following the stall (handbrake on, into neutral, start up the engine, select gear, all round observations, move off) then it should only really be a minor (so I'm told).
Captain Biggles
I think it's only a fail-worthy fault if you actually obstruct the traffic and make them slow down/change course. If you were at the lights and were unfortunate enough to stall then it would be the fault of the car behind in assuming it was safe to begin to move off when the car in front (you) wasn't moving. As long as the correct procedures were made following the stall (handbrake on, into neutral, start up the engine, select gear, all round observations, move off) then it should only really be a minor (so I'm told).

o.O But as you say yourself 'change course' And it's always the learner's fault when it comes to tests <_<
Reply 8927
Captain Biggles

"Location: Glasgow"

Thank god...
Have you taken a test and found this out? If so, which test centre?
C274
"Location: Glasgow"

Thank god...
Have you taken a test and found this out? If so, which test centre?

Ah...yeah...about that....:o:

Only in Glasgow during term-time. Dumfries for the rest of the time (i.e. now and another 3 weeks almost :frown:). I'm sitting my test in Dumfries (and hopefully will pass it) and if it went anything like as badly as my drive tonight I will certainly fail - not quite sure what went wrong. :s-smilie:
lilangel890
o.O But as you say yourself 'change course' And it's always the learner's fault when it comes to tests <_<

Yeah my dad said exactly the same thing earlier today. I hope above all else that I pass next Thursday - I will be so gutted telling everyone my test is on the 10th only to fail it. :frown:
Cyth
Ahh, well i was hoping to take it in my car. I'd already had 22 hours with an instructor in his car.. But i couldn't drive it well as my feet we're to bit and kept getting stuck on this board just infront of the pedels :eek3:
In my car it seems a lot easier to drive, was ust hoping if i could get an instructer to sit in for 2 or 3 lessons to make sure i'd not picked up any bad habits ect. Buy hey, i might just go book it after i've had more practise and hope for the best, thanks :smile:

Cool dude, I used to change my driving style because when I was learning I had rented a car out with someone so I could drive like a normal person :rolleyes: then when I had a lesson I just changed so I could drive more clinically. Therefore just adapt your style of driving to yano, one that would help pass your test, then become all lazy and drive with one hand and that :biggrin: .
*Sparkle*
I haven't had a lesson in weeks, starting 8 hours a week in afew weeks and just booked my test!!!

Good luck! I learnt like this over the summer, with the majority of my lessons in four weeks. It's stressful at times (and feels like you're ALWAYS going to the bank!) but if you keep at it it's worth it - I passed first time :smile:

Good luck to anyone else taking their test soon :smile: Just keep calm, and spend the whole morning before telling yourself calmly and firmly "Today, I will pass my driving test". Positive thinking worked for me :biggrin:
just passed the test, first time!!!!11 minors!such a relief!:smile: good luck to anyone who has it soon
TW LEGEND
just passed the test, first time!!!!11 minors!such a relief!:smile: good luck to anyone who has it soon

Congratulations!
failfailfailfailfail :frown:

Pulled out in front of a car at a roundabout within the first 2 minutes of the test and had 2 wheels slightly in the left lane when turning right hence 2 serious faults :frown:

Also had an embarrassing number of minor faults so I would have failed anyway :frown:

And now I'm moving away from home so I'll have to take my next test in a completely different area.

On the plus side my parrallel park and turn in the road were amazing.

:frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 8935
Just had another lesson. Did my first turn in the road. Had a few goes, some were good, some were crap, but at least I didn't stall. I saw a lad learning to do it a few weeks ago, and he was sort of making the car bounce...
Test in less than 24 hours, wish me luck :biggrin:
laura-rad
Test in less than 24 hours, wish me luck :biggrin:

Good luck! You WILL pass your driving test tomorrow.
scaryhair
Good luck! You WILL pass your driving test tomorrow.

Thankyou :biggrin:
Booked my driving theory again, got it for Saturday, Im trying to access my booking online but I cant seem to access it. It says surname is incorrect? And also, what do you need to take to the theory?

Quick Reply

Latest