The Learner driver progression thread Watch

turgon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
Guys, I had to quit driving lessons Couldnt afford it, and tbh my instructor made my confidence feel about zero , dreaded every lesson aswell. Maybe after uni..
This pretty much sums up how I'm feeling at the mo.

I've had about 24 hours, and I don't think I've improved at all in the last 12. I was hoping to pass during the holidays, but now its gonna run into term time. Right now I'm just thinking of doing about 4 hours a week until term starts, taking a test in about 6 weeks (if I've even got the slightest hope).
Whatever happens after the test, I'm gonna ditch the instructor and ditch BSM, because I feel as though I'm paying 22 quid an hour to get depressed.

BTW, does anyone else feel as though the road markings in their area need a fresh lick of paint? I can barely see half of them :mad:
Tombola
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bleh... I hate making my instructor fed up since I hate disappointing people.

After 12 hours I still can't control the clutch, I wish there was a way to practice without being in the actual lesson...
DDDenniZZZ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tombola)
Bleh... I hate making my instructor fed up since I hate disappointing people.

After 12 hours I still can't control the clutch, I wish there was a way to practice without being in the actual lesson...
Just use a lil more gas, be gentle. Also depends how you place your foot on the clutch, some people pivot their foot on the floor, some hover their foot in mid air to control the clutch, personally I think hover is easier.
C274
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Captain Biggles)
Ah...yeah...about that....:o:

Only in Glasgow during term-time. Dumfries for the rest of the time (i.e. now and another 3 weeks almost ). I'm sitting my test in Dumfries (and hopefully will pass it) and if it went anything like as badly as my drive tonight I will certainly fail - not quite sure what went wrong.
Ah. Bet your lesson was just a blip and you'll be driving brilliantly again

(Original post by laura-rad)
Test in less than 24 hours, wish me luck
Good luck!

(Original post by turgon)
BTW, does anyone else feel as though the road markings in their area need a fresh lick of paint? I can barely see half of them :mad:
YES :| It's ******* ridiculous.
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by turgon)
This pretty much sums up how I'm feeling at the mo.

I've had about 24 hours, and I don't think I've improved at all in the last 12. I was hoping to pass during the holidays, but now its gonna run into term time. Right now I'm just thinking of doing about 4 hours a week until term starts, taking a test in about 6 weeks (if I've even got the slightest hope).
Whatever happens after the test, I'm gonna ditch the instructor and ditch BSM, because I feel as though I'm paying 22 quid an hour to get depressed.

Sorry to hear that you're not getting anywhere with BSM. I think it depends on the instructor you get with them. I was with a private instructor who was charging me £20 an hour, but she wasn't teaching me anything and was getting me to drive her to shops and places for her to get coffee. Moved to BSM, and am paying £23 an hour, and can honestly say the BSM instructor i'm with is fabulous!
Captain Biggles
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Aky786UK)
Booked my driving theory again, got it for Saturday, Im trying to access my booking online but I cant seem to access it. It says surname is incorrect? And also, what do you need to take to the theory?
You should get a letter soon through the post as a confirmation of your booking and that will tell you what you need to bring. As I recall you need both parts of your license (paper counterpart/photo license) along with your confirmation letter.

It will also include a DVD that is utterly, utterly pointless. Really, don't watch it. Absolute waste of time.
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can i ask, if you guys have your test at the end of the week. Do you try and get a lesson in that week too?

Just asking because my test is on a Thursday, and i was thinking about seeing if i can get a lesson booked in on the Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday that week.

Mind you then again, i'm with BSM so bet my instructor will be dead busy. Don't know how long in advance he'd take bookings for lessons either.
laura-rad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan)
Can i ask, if you guys have your test at the end of the week. Do you try and get a lesson in that week too?

Just asking because my test is on a Thursday, and i was thinking about seeing if i can get a lesson booked in on the Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday that week.

Mind you then again, i'm with BSM so bet my instructor will be dead busy. Don't know how long in advance he'd take bookings for lessons either.
I had a lesson on Monday and my test is tomorrow. He asked me if I would like one this week so I said yes. Found it helpful
laura-rad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Away for my test, I'll let you all know how it goes!
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Away for my test, I'll let you all know how it goes!
Hope your test goes well Laura!
laura-rad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan)
Hope your test goes well Laura!
Failed 2 majors on my parallel park and at a roundabout when i was between lanes, grrr! Oh well, next time!
upturnedpalms
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Failed 2 majors on my parallel park and at a roundabout when i was between lanes, grrr! Oh well, next time!
Sorry to hear that.

Out of interest, how did you get two majors on the PP?
C274
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Driving in the rain in the dark is D:

(Original post by upturnedpalms)
Sorry to hear that.

I thought she meant that one of her majors was for the PP and the other was for the lane straddling? If that's even a major?
laura-rad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sorry to hear that.

Nah, one for the parallel park as I was MILES from the kerb, grrrr. And the roundabout was 'lane discipline' as when i was going round i wasn't tight enough in my lane and he had to grab the wheel next time!
upturnedpalms
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nah, one for the parallel park as I was MILES from the kerb, grrrr. And the roundabout was 'lane discipline' as when i was going round i wasn't tight enough in my lane and he had to grab the wheel next time!
Oh I see, sorry, I misread.

Damn, if lane discipline is a major then I am absolutely screwed.
laura-rad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh I see, sorry, I misread.

Damn, if lane discipline is a major then I am absolutely screwed.
you'll be okay! as long as they don't have to grab the wheel, that's the only reason it was a major for me.
upturnedpalms
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you'll be okay! as long as they don't have to grab the wheel, that's the only reason it was a major for me.
:yep: Fair enough, thanks.

Had another 2 hours lesson today, and we did emergency stops - absolutely bloody terrifying! Even though he warned me he was going to do it, it was still scary as hell!

Test in three weeks...
TheTallOne
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Passed my theory :yep:

Now to book a practical - I'll probably have to search for a cancellation to get a go before uni.
i'm no superman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have my practical next Wednesday. It's my first time too. I had a mock test with my instructor today and failed.

Note to self: don't even attempt to overtake cyclists when driving through a national speed country lane.
Viridis
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
Note to self: don't even attempt to overtake cyclists when driving through a national speed country lane.
lol

Talking of cyclists, an asian teenage boy (around 14/15, y'know the ones with dodgy patterns in their hair and no real ambition in life) just cycled straight into the road infront of me without even looking.

He then proceeded to look back over his shoulder showing this glimpse of troublemaker-ness on his face. When i over took him he shouted, 'watch out..arrghh!' :rolleyes:

I was very tempted to swerve to the left and knock him off. Idiot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (57)
19.39%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (119)
40.48%
Nope, not that interesting (118)
40.14%

Watched Threads