Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ahhh im sure you'll be fine, good luck! im in a pretty similar situation, have had 3 mocks noww, i have to admit i've failed all 3 but on stupid stuff like hitting the curb on a reverse park! but am only getting 3 minors or less which is good! so yeah, just gotta look out for the obvious mistakes during manouveres!

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering. For that whole mirror-signal-manoeuvre procedure we have to do...

What if you're driving on a 40mph road and the examiner tells you to take the next left/right. Because you're going so fast you obviously have to slow down and change gears earlier than if you were driving at 30 or below. But because of the mirror-signal-manoeuvre procedure, do you still have to signal really early and then slow the car and turn.

Because I did this a few times, and my instructor kept asking why I was signalling so early, but I had to if I wanted to slow down in time, and if I had to follow that whole signal-before-maneouvre procedure..

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue.China)
    Just wondering. For that whole mirror-signal-manoeuvre procedure we have to do...

What if you're driving on a 40mph road and the examiner tells you to take the next left/right. Because you're going so fast you obviously have to slow down and change gears earlier than if you were driving at 30 or below. But because of the mirror-signal-manoeuvre procedure, do you still have to signal really early and then slow the car and turn.

Because I did this a few times, and my instructor kept asking why I was signalling so early, but I had to if I wanted to slow down in time, and if I had to follow that whole signal-before-maneouvre procedure..

Any ideas?
    I'd slow & mirrors, signal, gear, manouver.

I think as you get more confident it will take less time to do this - especially gear change - so you won't have to signal as far ahead because you know you can get the gears changed and the speed down in time.

Also remember you should check your mirrors before changing gear.

ReputationRep:
    Bah. My instructor's car is in the shop, so no lesson for me today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue.China)

Any ideas?
    If it was me:

Mirrors - brake - mirrors - signal - gear - manouver

My instructor always told me to consider brake lights as a 'signal' so if your planning to brake then check mirrors first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alisa25)
    :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

I have no idea how many lessons i can fit in before the test tbh! If she will do late noons then i can cope.

I need to prepare myself for failure too. I Just know that Im ok at driving but im not great and really crap in some situations. :o: Oh and my short attention span doesnt really help either.

Manouevers are very good but general roundaboutage is just plain wrong. *most of the time*.
    i think im gonna get a bout 7 more in b4 the exam...then 1 one on the day i think.....

ew roundabouts are the actual bain of my life!!
    andddd im too hesitant at junctions and that.... bad times!
    im good at general driving though...most of the time!

Last lesson for 3 months for me today, the lesson went better than the last 3 awful lessons which was a good ending point :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Couldxbe)
    So my first lesson is booked for 30th Sept with the AA! They charge £27 per hour in the area I'm in (Kenton, Middlesex) but I don't know anyone who's learnt to drive there so I kind of wanted to go with a company. Luckily I shouldn't need too many lessons before I get booked into my test.

Anyone have any advice for me?
    :lolwut:
    I'm paying £21/hr with the AA in Tunbridge Wells. But my test is in someplace else so that I will be able to get a test done before uni.

Drove there today and at first it was crap because I didn't know any of the roads. Also went on my first dual carriageway :woo:

After the first half an hour you will get comfortable with the area you are driving in, however the test routes are everywhere, so there are probably 5 or 6 more areas I need to know the roads for.

(Original post by neomilan)
    roundabouts problem, in my failed test i was too hesitant, in my lessons i get told off for going out when im not meant to
    Ugh I hate roundabouts where you want to go straight on and there is also an exit on the right. I keep waiting when the car on the opposite side goes, thinking that they will to a U turn instead of going straight on. Twice I've hesitated :no:

EDIT: 17 days till my test :woo:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    :lolwut:
    I'm paying £21/hr with the AA in Tunbridge Wells. But my test is in someplace else so that I will be able to get a test done before uni.

Drove there today and at first it was crap because I didn't know any of the roads. Also went on my first dual carriageway :woo:

After the first half an hour you will get comfortable with the area you are driving in, however the test routes are everywhere, so there are probably 5 or 6 more areas I need to know the roads for.
    I suppose my lessons are in London (zone 4). Hopefully shouldn't have to take too many!

ReputationRep:
    Today's lesson went reasonably well.

I hope I'll be able to pull of any manoeuvre I get asked to do tomorrow - though I don't particularly like reversing around a corner. :shh:

ReputationRep:
    Oh haven't seen this thread before! I've been learning since June, only progress has been slow as my brother broke the car that I'm insured on so I'm having NO practise apart from lessons Nearly there though. My instructor says I can take my test as soon as he knows that i am anticipating more what could happen infront of me and so become entirely independent.

ReputationRep:
    today's lesson was BAD :laugh: I stalled at least 4 times and we went down country roads for the first time it was just weird....

And my turning the road isn't better either :no:

damn clutch control :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Couldxbe)
    I suppose my lessons are in London (zone 4). Hopefully shouldn't have to take too many!
    £27/hour! Bloody hell. I'm paying £18 and complain, I'll shut up then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Biggles)
    Yeah I was rubbish at roundabouts for a while but it just takes practise. In terms of your speed I would much rather take a potential minor for hesitation (which might not even be noted!) than take the risk of being more than likely of getting a serious for pulling out in front of someone - it's always the learner's fault so I always make sure I'm leaving plenty of time/space in case someone does pull out, even if it means I'm "hesitating".

Had another lesson that went really well except I failed turning right out of a one-way street - I forgot it was a one-way street! Bugger.
    I'm gonna have to be extra hesitant cos she had to stop me again. This is ridiculous. I just dunno what to do anymore.

&& I've done that like nearly everytime I've been down a one way street. I read my sign that it's one way and it kinda doesn't sink in. There's also this dodgy one way road in grays (quite major with lights n stuff) but no signs to tell you it's one way!

ReputationRep:
    How the hell do some people pass their tests? On my last lesson I was practicing reverse around a corner. For once, I was doing it perfectly, got the point of turn just right, when what happens? A stupid driver starts queuing behind me, despite the fact that he saw me reversing, I had my reverse lights on, and I was obviously a learner with L plates everywhere. Eventually I had to abandon the manoeuvre because the stupid prat was so obtuse that he didn't realise what I was doing. It was quite a big road so there was plenty of room for him to pass me, and my driving instructor was signalling him to move, but instead he chose to sit there and look massively confused.

ARGH.

On the plus side I drove quite competently for the first hour of my lesson, did roundabouts well and reached 70mph :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)

EDIT: 17 days till my test :woo:
    Jesus christ, you've just made me realise it's exactly two weeks until my test. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    its 2 weeks till mine too, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Got my test on Thursday. Looking forward to passing it (hopefully!!!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabulous_darling)
    How the hell do some people pass their tests?
    Luck of the draw on test day.

That, or they're driving illegaly.

I saw someone driving on the right side of the road after leaving a major dual carriageway onto a slip road a week ago. It frustrated me to no end.

ReputationRep:
    is anyone learning to drive in lancaster? i'm looking for an instructor for when i move to uni there, and would like one as good as the one i have now! can you pm me if you do have a recomendation.

Thanks! eden

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.