The Learner driver progression thread Watch

zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fabulous_darling)
Yesterday's lesson was horrible, two hours of craptacular driving. I tried to fit through too small a gap going at too high a speed and ended up hitting the pavement, I forgot to drive in the bus lane, I hit a kerb when parking up, I went in the wrong lane at some traffic lights and I also indicated too early when pulling in, giving the driver behind the impression that I was turning left into a side road. ARGH.

My lessons had been going so well until yesterday. I think the problem may have been the timing of the lesson. I did nothing all day, then had the lesson at 4:15, and I think I might just have been in a lazy mood. Still, that's no excuse. I was actually quite embarrassed by how badly I drove :sad:
Everyone has their off days, I had plenty and half that stuff you stated lets face it, if you did it AFTER you'd passed your test, you wouldn't really care about it.

But still don't worry, learning is the worst part of driving because everything has to be perfection, when you pass you'll learn to relax more and find your own way of driving, safely and to the rules like.

If I can get through it, believe me, anyone can!
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, i have my second test next Thursday. I've got one lesson on Wednesday for 2 hours, then have an hour before my test on Thursday. The nerves have already kicked in, which i guess is a bit daft considering i know what to expect from last time. :eek3: I think, this time it's more "Oooh, i don't wanna fail for a 2nd time - nerves"

Had a lesson today, and alls good on the manouevre front. I've aced them totally. Did one RRC, where i didn't see a car go past me so obv that woulda probs been a fail - but i managed the RRC.

I hate roundabouts with a passion tho! I think judging when to go is sooo hard! I either don't go, and i can. Or i go and i can't. Can't seem to win either way.

Gonna get my dad to take me out before Wednesday aswell, go to some big roundabouts and stuff.

Oh, and i tried to fit through two gaps which quite clearly weren't big enough! The cars on the other side had to slow down for me both times.

Also had to overtake a big tractor - the wheels on the thing were bloody massive, and on the side of the road i was overtaking him on. I managed the great task of ovetaking him on a bend, woops - instructor weren't best impressed!

Really - if i fail for a second time, i seriously will be gutted!
TheTallOne
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
23 hours of lessons so far. Test in 8 days :woo:

Seeing as my test centre is 13 miles away I've been spending the last 3 or 4 lessons going on dual carridgeways and I've got the hang of it. I assume it's exactly the same on motorways.

Today's lesson went well, I'm getting the hang of the new area and I know where the difficult areas are. The high street is a nightmare. There are 3 zebra crossings in close proximity, a fork in the road and parked cars on both sides of the road. I feel that the most likely way that I will fail my test is if I fail to stop at one of those crossings.

Hill starts There's a ~35 degree slope which I'm stalling on. Hate it.
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Passed my theory for the second time of asking after failing it by 1 mark, 47/50 for theory, 54/75 for hazard. Luckily, Ive checked test booking and there's one for next Wednesday and Ive temporarily booked it but awaiting my instructor if he can do it, would be great if he could, otherwise will have to wait till October.
upturnedpalms
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheTallOne)
23 hours of lessons so far. Test in 8 days :woo:

Seeing as my test centre is 13 miles away I've been spending the last 3 or 4 lessons going on dual carridgeways and I've got the hang of it. I assume it's exactly the same on motorways.

Today's lesson went well, I'm getting the hang of the new area and I know where the difficult areas are. The high street is a nightmare. There are 3 zebra crossings in close proximity, a fork in the road and parked cars on both sides of the road. I feel that the most likely way that I will fail my test is if I fail to stop at one of those crossings.

Hill starts There's a ~35 degree slope which I'm stalling on. Hate it.
Yeah, there's an absolutely insane hill that might come up in my test - at least that, if not more.

What I do is set the gas pretty high and steady, get my bite perfectly and hold it, take off the handbreak and then push the gas even more.
smflesh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Had 3rd lesson today, was baddd tbh, I kept forgetting to check mirrors.. I either signalled too early or too late, and turning at junctions / approaching junctions.. I think I keep messing it up?! What do you guys do (pedal wise) when you approach a junction?
Atrixa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by smflesh)
Had 3rd lesson today, was baddd tbh, I kept forgetting to check mirrors.. I either signalled too early or too late, and turning at junctions / approaching junctions.. I think I keep messing it up?! What do you guys do (pedal wise) when you approach a junction?
Depends how fast I'm going, really. Just learn the MSPSL routine- mirrors, signal, position, speed (and gears) and look. The main bits you have to remember is mirrors, signal, speed and gears on approach. I generally slow down using the brakes, and change into second gear if I need to.
smflesh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Atrixa)
Depends how fast I'm going, really. Just learn the MSPSL routine- mirrors, signal, position, speed (and gears) and look. The main bits you have to remember is mirrors, signal, speed and gears on approach. I generally slow down using the brakes, and change into second gear if I need to.
Is it correct that.. when you stop at a junction, you go into gear 1, otherwise drop to a lower gear e.g. 3 to 2, if you don't completely stop?
Atrixa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Is it correct that.. when you stop at a junction, you go into gear 1, otherwise drop to a lower gear e.g. 3 to 2, if you don't completely stop?
Yep. My instructor's trying to get me into the habit of slipping it into first as I'm stopping, rather than when getting ready to go.
Maxxie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Had an OK lesson today, did another dodgy parallel park & I can't put it into third gear from fourth gear! lol I kept putting it into first, I know your meant to just push it up...but I couldn't do it
Atrixa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Maxxie)
Had an OK lesson today, did another dodgy parallel park & I can't put it into third gear from fourth gear! lol I kept putting it into first, I know your meant to just push it up...but I couldn't do it
Best thing to do it do let it go into neutral first, then into third so you avoid missing it. I kept going from 2nd to 5th before I started using neutral as a marker.
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I reckon i'm destined to fail for a 2nd time aswell. I just cannot seem to ever go at the right moment on roundabouts. I'm either hesitating, or i'm trying to go too soon - instructor said it's a confidence issue! I need to have confidence in knowing that i'm going at the right time - easier said than done!

Got my second test on Thursday and am dreading it for the above reason!

Instructor took me around loads of big roundabouts today, and i was crap at them all. Cars next to me were going, and i was still sat waiting. I told him i hate them, lol, he said am gonna have to learn to love them - yeah, there's not a chance of that happening!
Sardine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by chiddy09)
She obviously not a good instructor! Reason being is that driving instructors know people learn in different phrases! She needs to be calm and expect you to muck up! If i was you try and find another instructor who is calm and relaxed.
My test is tomorow XD
Tabris
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Break, change down to second, if it's an open junction and I can look around, that's when I make my observations. If there's a slight chance I can't look around, change down to first and edge out/stop.
Atrixa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My instructor's car is in the shop yet again, so probably no driving lesson today.
9mm
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan)
I reckon i'm destined to fail for a 2nd time aswell. I just cannot seem to ever go at the right moment on roundabouts. I'm either hesitating, or i'm trying to go too soon - instructor said it's a confidence issue! I need to have confidence in knowing that i'm going at the right time - easier said than done!

Got my second test on Thursday and am dreading it for the above reason!

Instructor took me around loads of big roundabouts today, and i was crap at them all. Cars next to me were going, and i was still sat waiting. I told him i hate them, lol, he said am gonna have to learn to love them - yeah, there's not a chance of that happening!
I had exactly this problem up until recently. Just think to yourself, ALWAYS GIVE WAY TO THE RIGHT... that's all you have to think about, obviously you also need to keep an eye on the left, but focus most of your attention on the right... If a car is entering the roundabout from the right you wait, if the car entering into the roundabout from the right is signalling left and there's enough room before the next car behind enters, you can go in, if it's a massive roundabout and a car (which entered from the left exit) is coming around, but the right is clear, you can go in. You also need to know your speed with different roundabouts, the bigger ones you need to go in a bit quicker/faster.

Roundabouts is almost everyone's nightmare, so you're not alone. Unfortunately though, if it's not done correctly and warrants a serious/dangerous you'll fail for it. My test is on tuesday next week, and my problem is that I sometimes focus too much on the road, the cars, the traffic, my speed, crossings that I fail to observe a sign on a quick bend indicating a roundabout at the end or some silly mistakes like that, so I end up braking/slowing down to gear 2 too late... which I need to completely get out of my system before the test.
AntiLearner
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This may sound really stupid but I think my biggest problem is other drivers on the road. I've gotten better today, but seriously, I think most of my faults come down to me not wanting to piss everyone else off so I go too fast a lot of the time. I hate it when a car is right on my back and thus I end up speeding cos they're such *********. Do they not remember being a learner??? And all of the precautions and procedures you have to go through? Really wish I could learn to ignore them and focus on what I'm doing.

I have my third test coming up this week...... not looking too good. Got hesitant on a roundabout, forgot to indicate after being parked up, couldn't focus on a number of instructions, so he had to brake when I did the wrong thing...
chelski786
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Had my 12th lesson today and it went pretty well. Probably my best lesson so far. Done junctions, country roads, dual carriageway and TIR. One thing I can't seem to do is smooth gear changes. How do you do it? Changing from first to second, Im off the gas, clutch down, shift to second, and at the same time put the clutch up and on the gas. Everytime I do this the car becomes jerky.
9mm
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by chelski786)
Had my 12th lesson today and it went pretty well. Probably my best lesson so far. Done junctions, country roads, dual carriageway and TIR. One thing I can't seem to do is smooth gear changes. How do you do it? Changing from first to second, Im off the gas, clutch down, shift to second, and at the same time put the clutch up and on the gas. Everytime I do this the car becomes jerky.
That's something you just get better at with practice. I promise, keep practicing a lot and by the time you come to do your test, you'll notice how smooth and quick your gear change will have become. That's what happened to me, now gear change almost comes automatically, which is good because I can now focus most of my attention on the road ahead, speed and possible hazards that may appear. I've had 17 lessons so far, and lots of practice on my own. Taking my test this coming Tuesday. :p:
upturnedpalms
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 9mm)
That's something you just get better at with practice. I promise, keep practicing a lot and by the time you come to do your test, you'll notice how smooth and quick your gear change will have become. That's what happened to me, now gear change almost comes automatically, which is good because I can now focus most of my attention on the road ahead, speed and possible hazards that may appear. I've had 17 lessons so far, and lots of practice on my own. Taking my test this coming Tuesday. :p:
Me too!

Worryingly, I mounted the pavement on a parallel park today, which I have never done before. Now does not seem a good time to start. :no:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (74)
27.61%
No (194)
72.39%

Watched Threads