The Learner driver progression thread Watch

Azza
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Passed my theory this morning, quite comfortable in the end it seemed too. Got 48/50 on the questions effort, then 63/75 on the Hazard Awareness test.

Bloody chuffed to be honest, it's one big thing out of the way. Now for the proper practical test!
sauce
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by dobbs)
Why are you learning in an automatic? Wouldn't it be more helpful to learn in a manual? Unless of course there are special reasons for having an automatic?
I think I remember her mentioning earlier she's got some sort of problem with her muscles(sorry if I'm saying it wrong btw) or nerves so it's very painful for her especially when she has to balance the clutch/gear changes etc. etc.
Is there no literally no auto ADI's you've found?!
try and find a v understanding male!!!
dobbs
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ♥♥♥)
I think I remember her mentioning earlier she's got some sort of problem with her muscles(sorry if I'm saying it wrong btw) or nerves so it's very painful for her especially when she has to balance the clutch/gear changes etc. etc.
Is there no literally no auto ADI's you've found?!
try and find a v understanding male!!!
Ah right, that would explain it then.

I'm not surprised that there's not so many automatic instructors around, it's not a massively popular choice is it?

Test in 5 days time :afraid: eek!
sauce
(Original post by dobbs)

I'm not surprised that there's not so many automatic instructors around, it's not a massively popular choice is it?

****ting your pants?
sauce
(Original post by dobbs)

also a FEW where I live(Chelmo)
Only one car I've seen adapted for disablities!:eek3:
PringlePops
Report 11 years ago
oooh good luck with the test dobbs. judging by the amount of advice you give on these boards i bet you pass!

just curious, if you pass your test in an automatic, what type of licence do you get, a full one?
dobbs
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ♥♥♥)
****ting your pants?
My last lesson was amazing, and I drove my Dad's car home from the supermarket today which went well (but I have noticed that in Vauxhall Astras the frame to the driver's right of the windscreen is MASSIVE so you can quite easily not see cars coming from your right on a roundabout!), no stalling still.

I'm nervous, as is expected, but excited too. I really think I can pass, in fact I know I can....but it's just come so soon. I've only been learning for a month and a half!!!
dobbs
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by PringlePops)
oooh good luck with the test dobbs. judging by the amount of advice you give on these boards i bet you pass!

just curious, if you pass your test in an automatic, what type of licence do you get, a full one?
No you only get an Automatic license - since driving Manual is a whole different kettle of fish!
sauce
(Original post by dobbs)
My last lesson was amazing, and I drove my Dad's car home from the supermarket today which went well (but I have noticed that in Vauxhall Astras the frame to the driver's right of the windscreen is MASSIVE so you can quite easily not see cars coming from your right on a roundabout!), no stalling still.

I'm nervous, as is expected, but excited too. I really think I can pass, in fact I know I can....but it's just come so soon. I've only been learning for a month and a half!!!
lucky git.
I mean ..
I'm happy for you :flute:
PringlePops
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dobbs)
No you only get an Automatic license - since driving Manual is a whole different kettle of fish!
aaah, thought as much. i suppose that's obvious really or everyone would take their test in an automatic.

i've just realised something hugely ironic; when i do some to taking my test, if i fail, i can drive my instructors car home, but if i pass, i can't because he's only insured to allow non-licensed drivers at the wheel. Oh the irony.
Report 11 years ago
Can anyone give me some help for some reason I cannot do the reverse round a corner.

My driving is alrite- just the above manaouevre. I'm too reliant on the mirror.
jenren22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by diamondgeezer)
Can anyone give me some help for some reason I cannot do the reverse round a corner.

My driving is alrite- just the above manaouevre. I'm too reliant on the mirror.
Hi, i had that problem when i first started. The thing is with the car i drive is there is a phone number stickered on the back windscreen so i use those numbers for my reference point. So i try to get the kurb while im turning to the number 8, and if i need to go further in i go to the number 4 and back again. I dont know if there is anything to help you like that? If not, just pinpoint a certain point on the windscreen and once your kurb reaches there then start to steer straigh. There's nothing wrong with glancing in your mirrors but you need to look behind you 70% of the time.

Ask your instructor . Good luck!
Dramatic Star
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
3rd lesson- went into 3rd gear, did roundabouts (left turn, right turn & straight ahead), & continued with clutch control from last lesson.

Next lesson- going onto busier roads & starting manovering. AAAAARGH!

Driving instructor gave me a real boost today- said I was doing a lot better than most & he's pushing me to try harder things because he thinks I'm capable of passing quickly. Really boosted my confidence!
Pony Jack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Had a lesson yesterday, felt very tired but he sent me on difficult roads and places we'd never been before and I did alright except for a lot of stalling. Got a confidence boost when he said that the test (on 14/12) wouldn't be nearly as hard as that
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by PringlePops)
aaah, thought as much. i suppose that's obvious really or everyone would take their test in an automatic.

i've just realised something hugely ironic; when i do some to taking my test, if i fail, i can drive my instructors car home, but if i pass, i can't because he's only insured to allow non-licensed drivers at the wheel. Oh the irony.
Theres also something about people who pass been so over the moon they are more likely to cause an accident! hehe!
Sashioni
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Dramatic Star)
3rd lesson- went into 3rd gear, did roundabouts (left turn, right turn & straight ahead), & continued with clutch control from last lesson.

Next lesson- going onto busier roads & starting manovering. AAAAARGH!

Driving instructor gave me a real boost today- said I was doing a lot better than most & he's pushing me to try harder things because he thinks I'm capable of passing quickly. Really boosted my confidence!
Really? You're doing manoeuvres in your fourth lesson? That's pretty early compared to my friend, who started manoeuvres around is 8th-10th lessons, and he's a pretty fast learner. That's a good thing though, well done.

I've got my second lesson this Monday!

By the way, in the test, do you get a minor automatically for stalling or does it depend on whether it's a danger to others?
Joel103
Report 11 years ago
Lo all, just wanting to chip in. Booked my theory test today, just wanting to get that done and my practical done, had my 9th lesson today, all was well, hoping to book my practical come the end of this month (provided I pass my theory on the 22nd). Getting pretty bored of lesssons now, done most things, really liking my instructors technique though, he tends to throw me in at the deep end, did 3 point turns first lesson and started off on a main road, 2nd lesson bay parking etc etc.
dobbs
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sashioni)
By the way, in the test, do you get a minor automatically for stalling or does it depend on whether it's a danger to others?
Generally you'd only get a minor if it was in a dangerous place. In fact, you could get a major if, say you pulled forwards onto an incredibly busy roundabout and stalled in the middle of it as cars were speeding towards you!

However, if in another case you stalled continuously throughout the lesson, no matter whether it was in a dangerous place or not, it would kinda suggest that you're not ready to drive and could put yourself and others in danger, and I'm sure you'd be marked down for that too!

(Original post by ~Kirsty~)
Theres also something about people who pass been so over the moon they are more likely to cause an accident! hehe!
In a driving book I have, it suggests that no matter whether you pass or fail, you shouldn't drive home because you're still full of nerves and adrenaline. If you pass and you drive out of the test centre and crash into a lorry, it doesn't look so good does it? And if you fail, well it would be better to just be driven home and then compose yourself instead of being forced to get into a car and drive home whilst thinking about what you had done wrong, etc.
dobbs
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ♥♥♥)
lucky git.
I mean ..
I'm happy for you :flute:
Oi!

Although I've only been learning for that long, I've had 33 hours in that time (approx 5 hours per week), and spent £600 within that short amount of time...not including the insurance I forked out to drive my Dad's car too :p:

I've planned this intensive driving session since back in June! Worked my ass off all summer to afford it!
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dobbs)
Oi!

Although I've only been learning for that long, I've had 33 hours in that time (approx 5 hours per week), and spent £600 within that short amount of time...not including the insurance I forked out to drive my Dad's car too :p:

I've planned this intensive driving session since back in June! Worked my ass off all summer to afford it!
hehe!

Bank of mum and dad pay for my 2 hours a week (well the 21st birthday fund does!). I have no access to a car so at least dad didn't have the insurance to fork out on the car I apparently share!

I have a lesson soon! yay!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (213)
27.92%
No (550)
72.08%

Watched Threads