The Learner driver progression thread Watch

Scott_Maslen_Fan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I still feel like an absolute idiot for not nearly driving straight across infront of oncoming traffic when i was turning right, blooming filter light weren't on, haha, i'm blind! :o:

Oh, i also was meant to go right at a roundabout. I got the correct exit, but drove straight across the bloody roundabout in the wrong lane! Don't know what came over me!

I'm gonna try my BSM 'Mind Alertness Programme' disc, see if i can't make my mind more alert. :p: Think instructor thinks i'm half asleep at times, haha, i'm not - i just get confused easily!
aeiou81
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hello everyone, hope the driving's going well!

Got my test in two weeks, absolutely BRICKING IT. Most of my friends have passed first time (so no pressure then) but my boyfriend has failed twice now - the first time he admitted he did something wrong, but the second he said he gave way to a car which was already on the roundabout when the examiner said it wasn't. I don't want a nasty examiner!
In general I think I'm an acceptable driver... my dad says he feels perfectly safe with me, and my instructor is confident I'll be ok. But I still make silly mistakes sometimes. AAH.
Couldxbe
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
AHh, I can't get used to my new instructors car. The handbrake is harder, and it's petrol and I've been in a diesel for 4 months! It was stall, stall, stall, more stalling

Got my test booked for January though, quite nervous!
Atrixa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just had my last driving lesson with my instructor before I move to uni. I'll have to find another instructor once I get down there.
I hate reverse bay parking. It always feels like it's going tits up when it's fine, and when I think it's ok, I'm at an odd angle or too close on one side...
Ben25
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had a lesson today, it all went fine but driving in extremely thick fog is horrible, couldn't see a thing on the way back.

I have my test in a couple of weeks :erm:
abdeshaw
Report 9 years ago
I've got 15 hours under my belt now, just onto the second manevoure.

If i were to stop with my instructor now and just went with dad, would i be able to pass within the month do you guys think?? - It would work out cheaper with dad which is why im considering it.

I will be swapping from a diesel to a petrvol however.

Advice would be appericated
Mr Incredible
Report 9 years ago
Keep going guys... seems to take a while when you're learning but you'll love the feeling when you've passed feels strange driving on your own knowing you're the one in charge, but it's worth the stress of learning
rennythetoad16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Had my third lesson today and it went really well. My instructor said it was a really good lesson, only stalled once and my steering was a million times better! :woo: Went up to third gear and getting ready to do some driving on main roads next week!!!

PS does anyone else use the drivers record thing that they send with your provisional license? (Its really encouraging to see that it already has a lot of ticks!)
laura-rad
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Had my first lesson since I failed my test, went really well and we tackled what went wrong in the test, instructor feels confident that in my next test I'll get it
Dr. Jan Itor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Learning to drive is so boring! Can't wait until I can drive on my own without my instructor slowing me down. Even turning the steering wheel is annoying in the lessons lol. I like to keep one hand on the gear stick and the other on the wheel

November 16th... I better pass...
CJN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dr. Jan Itor)
I like to keep one hand on the gear stick and the other on the wheel
Well that's wrong, and doesn't make sense. Why would you have your hand on the gearstick when you don't need to change gear? Like going on duals you will always be in fifth so why keep your hand there?
Dr. Jan Itor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CJN)
Well that's wrong, and doesn't make sense. Why would you have your hand on the gearstick when you don't need to change gear? Like going on duals you will always be in fifth so why keep your hand there?
Obviously not on duals/motorways but for everything else I find it more comfortable and easier as I slip it into neutral a lot, which my instructor also doesn't like!
CJN
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dr. Jan Itor)
Obviously not on duals/motorways but for everything else I find it more comfortable and easier as I slip it into neutral a lot, which my instructor also doesn't like!
You should never be in neutral unless you are waiting at traffic lights or a junction where you will have to be for a while (not just a few seconds).

Otherwise going along in neutral etc. is wrong, and you can fail for it, as you can if you keep holding your hand on the gearstick loads of times.
Dr. Jan Itor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CJN)
You should never be in neutral unless you are waiting at traffic lights or a junction where you will have to be for a while (not just a few seconds).

Otherwise going along in neutral etc. is wrong, and you can fail for it, as you can if you keep holding your hand on the gearstick loads of times.
ummm I do know.

Hence why I said I find lessons boring and can't wait to pass! I think you may have misunderstood my post a little.
C274
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rennythetoad16)
PS does anyone else use the drivers record thing that they send with your provisional license? (Its really encouraging to see that it already has a lot of ticks!)
I did. It's really encouraging at the start but as I progressed the number of ticks I got gradually decreased and I ended up with just one box to sign off for about 3 weeks :|

Mega satisfying when you get there though
Haz23
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was having a lesson from my Dad today, and when he told me to brake I pressed the gas pedel instead and revved up a mound. The car then had to be towed back down again.

My friends are telling me to get back behind the wheel again & get my confidence back, but I'm pretty freaked out now hmm...
gamer91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Haz23)
I was having a lesson from my Dad today, and when he told me to brake I pressed the gas pedel instead and revved up a mound. The car then had to be towed back down again.

My friends are telling me to get back behind the wheel again & get my confidence back, but I'm pretty freaked out now hmm...
I did that once, whilst wearing rather inappropriate shoes (see really wide airwalks).

luckily the clutch was in, so all it did was make a wee bit of noise.
CJN
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Haz23)

Sorry but I can't help but laugh at the result

On my first few lessons I used to wear huge skate shoes and always used to press both pedals down at once, but not I wear converses to drive it.
Haz23
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CJN)
Sorry but I can't help but laugh at the result

On my first few lessons I used to wear huge skate shoes and always used to press both pedals down at once, but not I wear converses to drive it.
:p: It's okay - after thinking about it more it was quite funny. Even my parents (who actually have no sense of humor) were laughing (but they still have to get the dang car fixed!!)
Atrixa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by C274)
I did. It's really encouraging at the start but as I progressed the number of ticks I got gradually decreased and I ended up with just one box to sign off for about 3 weeks :|

Mega satisfying when you get there though
My instructor just used his own sheet, which was a lot more detailed than the drivers record.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.48%
No (615)
72.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed