The Learner driver progression thread Watch

heartofglass
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sickojones)
Definetly feel sometimes i've got worse aswell lol, it probs just feels like that because we're aware of more things that we're doing wrong now than when we first started or thats what i tell myself at least.

Only been driving 6/7 weeks passed my theory last week and have booked practical for 11th December!
Ah wow you're a fast learner!

I passed my theory the other week and i have to wait until 15th january for my practical, can't believe the waiting list is 11 weeks, i really hope there's some cancellations in December.
DDS
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
driving test tomorrow
heartofglass
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bex285)
Yeah, I had my last lesson on the 6th of this month, then the week after that he was on holiday, which was fair enough and he told me a week in advance. Then last Tuesday he phoned me at 9 in the morning (we had planned a lesson for 3.30 on that day) and told me the car was in the garage getting fixed and he'd phone me that night to organise the next lesson. I'm still waiting.
As well as this, about three or four times in the past I've been standing waiting for him, and had to phone him to find out where he was to find out he'd "forgotten" or "thought I was on holiday". Once he gave me a free lesson to make up for it, but that's all.
Thing is, I like him. I don't want a new instructor but I'm fed up with being messed about!

As for your issue, I think it's really hypocritical of your instructor, but I assume it's one of these things that they can do, it's not against the rules or anything. It's probably written somewhere in the most miniscule print possible.
Aw poor you! That is unacceptable behaviour tbh, to be a driving instructor reliability should be one of their main assets surely. I take it you've spoken to him about it? If no one confronts him then maybe he thinks that it's acceptable behaviour? I know you like him but perhaps you could scare him a tad by saying if this carries on then you'll complain to the company (unless he's an independent instructor?) Once or twice i guess is just human mistake, but to forget like that is out of order! You're paying him good money and put your trust in him to turn up, does he not keep a diary? Perhaps you could buy him a really cheap one or something haha, as a hint.

Yeah and i agree about what you said about my instructor, she can get away with it because it's in the rules somewhere where i haven't even read, but i wish she'd just be a bit more, generous? Haha.
heartofglass
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DDS)
driving test tomorrow
Oooooh good luck! What time is it?
Atrixa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Alisa25)

However i LOVE the diesel Peugeot that is the instructors car. I just can rely on it completely, can control it easily. DONT have to worry about stalling cos i know what triggers it etc.

God help me. Seriously.
I know how you feel. My first instructor had a gorgeous deisel peugeot which was so easy to drive, and now I'm having to get used to my new instructor's petrol renault megane.
*Sparkle*
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Haha I'm such an idiot!! I booked my test for the 3rd of Nov because I was planning an intensive course but my instructor was ill so we had to change it. I could have sworn I changed it (must have been in my dreams) and now I can't get an appointment for the place I want my test in until February.

So I have it somewhere else and I think my instructor may kill me haha
Cyth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey, I've got my Driving Test booked for Saturday, Just wondering if anyone can clarify me on a few things:
When doing any of the maneuvers, expecially reverse park, what would i do if traffic approached me from the front or back, and couldn't get round.

For example, i was reverse parking, and a car approached from behind or infront. Or I was doing a left hand turn, and a car approached either from behind or infront, and i was half way round the corner. What would i do in any of these situations.

Thanks guys I'm soo scaredd
shining_star
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i have my test on thursday instant fail
my instructors car recently broke down and is now in the garage being repaired.....so last week i found out that i have to do my test in a car i can't drive booooo
CJN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cyth)
Hey, I've got my Driving Test booked for Saturday, Just wondering if anyone can clarify me on a few things:
When doing any of the maneuvers, expecially reverse park, what would i do if traffic approached me from the front or back, and couldn't get round.

For example, i was reverse parking, and a car approached from behind or infront. Or I was doing a left hand turn, and a car approached either from behind or infront, and i was half way round the corner. What would i do in any of these situations.

Thanks guys I'm soo scaredd
If you are doing RRC then you must always pull forward and go back round the junction (indicate left when you do) if the car has stopped behind you.

If a car stops in TIR then keep going they need to wait. During reverse park there isn't anywhere you can go usually so they will need to go past or wait.

Only RRC is the one you need to always move. But in any manouvers when you see cars, pedestrians whatever that come near you then always stop dont just keep reversing or whatever - stop and see whats happening.
megadeath999
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Passed theory this morning, had first lesson this afternoon. Was fun , but its pretty tough to remember to check mirrors, keep your eye on the road, change gear etc all at the same time. Ah I guess it will start to feel more natural as time goes on.
Cyth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CJN)
If you are doing RRC then you must always pull forward and go back round the junction (indicate left when you do) if the car has stopped behind you.

If a car stops in TIR then keep going they need to wait. During reverse park there isn't anywhere you can go usually so they will need to go past or wait.

Only RRC is the one you need to always move. But in any manouvers when you see cars, pedestrians whatever that come near you then always stop dont just keep reversing or whatever - stop and see whats happening.
Thanks a lot. I feel a lot better, that was basically what i thought, just wasn't sure exaclty + thanks for the signaling advice
seablue
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cyth)
Thanks a lot. I feel a lot better, that was basically what i thought, just wasn't sure exaclty + thanks for the signaling advice
indicate twice:

1. to go left

2. to say you are stopping again (for your next attempt to RRC) since the car will be right behind you.
smflesh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had a mock test today.. 11 minors and a serious.. for hitting the kerb during parallel parking.. what the ?!
chriz01
Report 9 years ago
Had my third lesson. Can finally start, drive around a corner or two, get to second gear and stop well Booked an intensive for Nov 16-20.
Alisa25
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks Atrixa and laura-rad for your replies!! Im glad Im not the only one feeling grim about 'the petrol fiends'... :rolleyes:

DRIVING TEST TOMORROW!!!!!!! :woo: 11.11am!!!

Im not really nervous yet but oh i will be... :o:
Alisa25
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by smflesh)
I had a mock test today.. 11 minors and a serious.. for hitting the kerb during parallel parking.. what the ?!
I had a mock test yesterday and had 3 serious (hesitation, lane discipline and inappropriate speed) and only 1 minor for cutting the corner.. I was like WHAT??? FUDGE!!! :woo:

You get a serious for hitting kerbs unfortunately...
shining_star
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i passed this morning with 8 minors!!!!!
so pleased to finally be a fully fledged driver
anyone with test coming up - just stay calm and it will be fine
happy learning guys!
Alisa25
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by shining_star)
i passed this morning with 8 minors!!!!!
so pleased to finally be a fully fledged driver
anyone with test coming up - just stay calm and it will be fine
happy learning guys!
Well done!!!

Oh and staying calm is not really an option. PANIC MAYHEM AND NERVES FTW!!! :woo: :rolleyes:
shining_star
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Alisa25)
Well done!!!

Oh and staying calm is not really an option. PANIC MAYHEM AND NERVES FTW!!! :woo: :rolleyes:
hahahahaaa yeah i had all of that before test....but surprisingly during the test i was really relaxed - probably because i had a really chilled examiner!
Alisa25
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by shining_star)
hahahahaaa yeah i had all of that before test....but surprisingly during the test i was really relaxed - probably because i had a really chilled examiner!
Oh I hope I get an Iceman (someone cool..ICE COOL!)

Btw (me being such a shameless lurker) I see that you are waiting for your references to be written too! I was not amused when my tutor said that he will write it over halfterm... They need to get a move on!! :banghead:

*sorry about the offtopic, i tend to ramble A LOT when im nervous/faced with a social dilemma/before epic and expensive tests or exams*
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.43%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)
41.14%
Nope, not that interesting (138)
39.43%

Watched Threads