The Learner driver progression thread Watch

S23a
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by beffnee)
Got my second test tomorrow and I'm really not looking forward to it.

I failed my first test with 3 minors and 1 major. He failed me because I stalled the car *grumble*. There was no one else on the road when I stalled or anything, so it's not like I affected anyone else, but he failed me all the same. It was annoying because it was the best drive I've had, but there's nothing I can do about it now!

So I've got my second one at 9.37 tomorrow.
My instructor didn't make me feel as though I have a hope in hell of passing though. I cried when I got home because he was just so critical of things which I had done that way since my very first lesson and he's never had a problem with!

If I don't get through tomorrow, I'm getting a new instructor, he's made me cry five times in four months, mocked me openly for crying when I failed my first test, told every one of his students who I know that I failed when he had said he wouldn't and is generally just not a very nice bloke. He's a creep as well. He told my friend he was glad I'd failed since now he could spend more time with me, so part of me thinks he doesn't want me to pass :/

Hopefully I'll get through tomorrow though, I don't have the money to have more lessons and tests! I've had an insane number of lessons as it is and can't afford more xD

Wish me luck! Or if I fail, wish me luck finding a new instructor XD

Good luck to the other people I've seen saying they have tests tomorrow too! Hopefully we'll have a whole medley of TSR Passes tomorrow!!
I'm pretty sure most people would've left ASAP. Why've you stuck with the same instructor? He sounds horrible.
beffnee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SSingh23)
I'm pretty sure most people would've left ASAP. Why've you stuck with the same instructor? He sounds horrible.
Figured it was just easier to get through the test as quickly as possible rather than trying to find another instructor, get used to their car and all of that. I regret doing it now, but I just wanted to get through it as quickly as possible. Even though I've wanted to change since about three weeks after I started xD

Passed today though, so don't ever need to see him again (:
beffnee
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
-
Six
Not bad, would have liked less but I'm not going to complain xD

Two for hesitation, one for each manouvere - I was slightly wide at the start of my reverse corner, and I think it was maybe because I was a bit too close to the kerb on my reverse park, one for handbrake (I forgot to put it on once when I was stopped, probably?) and one for steering, which I don't know when that was for.

But its still a secure pass, so yeah (:
Last edited by RK; 4 months ago
TheOneCurlyFry
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hey guys, i'm at the stage where i'm learning maouvres, so far i've done TIR, bay park and reverse round corner. Thing is, the way my instructor has been teaching me them have been methods than seem like they would just be specific to the car i'm learning in. For example with the bay park it'll be along the lines of 'turn the steering wheel x amount, reverse until you see the other cars brake lights in the little back window, at that point take off x amount of turn' etc (poor example since it doesnt make sense but i'm tired lol).

Is this how everyone else is taught? i'm not too bothered since i'll be doing the test in that car and he probably just wants to teach me how to do it in a way that will get me a pass, my only concern is that when i practice in my car with my dad it's different because the shape of the car is different so i have to just try and do it more intuitively.

Also, to the people who have passed, if you learnt like that do you still do it like that or do you just do it intuitively?
Rucklo
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheOneCurlyFry)
Also, to the people who have passed, if you learnt like that do you still do it like that or do you just do it intuitively?
I just do it now without thinking about it normally.

It comes with practice.
seablue
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheOneCurlyFry)
hey guys, i'm at the stage where i'm learning maouvres, so far i've done TIR, bay park and reverse round corner. Thing is, the way my instructor has been teaching me them have been methods than seem like they would just be specific to the car i'm learning in. For example with the bay park it'll be along the lines of 'turn the steering wheel x amount, reverse until you see the other cars brake lights in the little back window, at that point take off x amount of turn' etc (poor example since it doesnt make sense but i'm tired lol).

Is this how everyone else is taught? i'm not too bothered since i'll be doing the test in that car and he probably just wants to teach me how to do it in a way that will get me a pass, my only concern is that when i practice in my car with my dad it's different because the shape of the car is different so i have to just try and do it more intuitively.

TIR -> there can really be no other technique other than full stering lock everytime.

RRC -> There is no science for this one. It is kinda judging what is best for you and how you can take quick glances at mirrors and correct your poisiton by small amount of steering. Whatever science your istructor teaches you, it will be faulty and you will see it is your judgement which is the key.

For Bay Park and Parallel Park - I suggest you search you tube. There are plenty of videos and various methods. I did this and searched the ones I found the best. To me the best ones are those which are not subjective and will work for every car. The methods you said appear very suspicious.. never hard someone doing bay parking with parking light etc.
Jayda
Report 9 years ago
Got my test on thursday and my instructor wants me to do a 2 hour lesson before the test. Is this a good idea?
JakeM
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jayda)
Got my test on thursday and my instructor wants me to do a 2 hour lesson before the test. Is this a good idea?
From MY experience no.

I had 1hour 30 mins before my test and then I was just soo tired near the end of my test then drove over the kirb on the roundabout!
beffnee
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jayda)
My instructor originally put me down for that long before my test, particularly since I'm used to driving for two hour lessons. But once you factor in the test itself, you need to be concentrating for a good two and a half hours (Considering that you need to be at the test centre a little bit before etc, and then the test is forty minutes long).

I booked out his car for two hours - 8.40 til 10.40 with my test from 9.37 til 10.20ish, and he then drove me home. I didn't feel like I had long in the car before my test, but it was more of a warm-up for me than a lesson. I felt that if I had a proper lesson and something went wrong that it would scare me more, and also that I wouldn't be able to concentrate. I also have problems with my shoulder when I drive for two hours so wanted to avoid risking that affecting my test.

Obviously it depends on how long you feel you can concentrate for, and I have friends who have had that long before each test whilst I felt that would be too much, but only you can say whether that is an okay length of time or not!

Good luck for Thursday!
ellie-rose88
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm getting so frustrated with the process of learning to drive taking soo long and my instructor being impatient with me! I've been learning since late March/early April, instructor says I should be ready for my test around Feb. I want to pass sooner than that but I don't feel ready sometimes

My instructor is doing my head in a bit though. I start the lesson feeling confident, excited about driving etc. but hes just so snappy and critical that it affects my confidence and by the end of the lesson, I'm nervy and making stupid little mistakes because I'm stressed out with him shouting at me. Everything that goes wrong is my fault. Last week, someone pulled out of a junction when they shouldn't have and cut me up and my instructor had a go at me and said it was my fault because I was 'too close to the kerb'. Just feel like he puts me down a bit - I passed my theory with a really good score and because I was pleased/relieved about it he called me arrogant and over confident

Sometimes I think I should change instructors but I feel close to taking my test and I don't want to go through the whole process of getting used to a new car/instructor. Arghhh! Wish I could pass so I never have to see him again.
xsarahhh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've been driving since June 08 and a few weeks ago I booked my practical test for the beginning of January. I think it was the thought of failing that kept putting me off from booking it which is quite annoying as I've spent so much money on lessons (don't know anyone who's car I can borrow), but I did manage to pass my theory first time in August which I was nervous about!.
I do feel though since booking it I've concentrated much more (usually make silly mistakes), the only thing im really worrying about is forgetting to change lanes and being on roads I don't really know as I'll be like aaaah!
S23a
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just a friendly tip for when you're on you test guys:

The examinor kept ticking something off after the maneouvres/any stops and I jokingly asked if they'd ever pretended to tick the sheet as a tease. He replied by explaining that; 1] no he doesn't (:p:) and 2], they have to tick off the fact that you've completed a maneouvre/stop after each one, so don't just assume they're all minors/majors.
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Got my driving lesson tomorrow! :yes: I have got it booked 12.00 - 1.00, but dunno whether just for this once to do a 2 hour lesson. Normally i wouldn't cos my brother now does the hour after me, and he isn't here this week. :p: Only reason really is cos the place where i do my test takes agessss to get to, and i'm sure from what instructor has said that the only place we can practice bay parking is the place where i do my test (a big car park there, what no-one uses).

Dunno whether it really is the only place we can do bay park, i thought surely there would be loadsa places.

We ain't had a go at that manouevre since i failed my last test, so i need to have a go sometime to make sure i can still do it! :p:

What do you guys reckon?
laura-rad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Third test tomorrow... Hopefully third time lucky!
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by laura-rad)
Good luck Laura!
seablue
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ellie-rose88)
Just feel like he puts me down a bit - I passed my theory with a really good score and because I was pleased/relieved about it he called me arrogant and over confident
while saying arrogant etc. is not correct, you should try to forget your theory test and success as soon as you can. Getting a good score in theory proves you are a good student and have strong mmory etc. but it has no relevance with the way you drive and your practical test.
Coggy99
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by laura-rad)
What time is yours at? Its my second test today aswell 10.24
good luck
laura-rad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Coggy99)
What time is yours at? Its my second test today aswell 10.24
good luck
13.33. I'm so incredibly nervous!
You'll be doing yours now, I hope it's going well
Coggy99
Report 9 years ago
Lol i failed again, got a serious for misjudging the speed of a car when pulling out, part from that i did well and i even had 3 other people in the car lol!:p:
laura-rad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Aw, I'm sorry! Better luck next time!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (149)
27.85%
No (386)
72.15%

Watched Threads