Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Got my test tomorrow!! For some reason I'm not all that nervous though (which is strange as I usually crap myself for my uni exams!)

My driving instructor says I'm a really good driver but need to "pay attention" lol :/

I tend to lose concentration after a bit and forget to read road markings and road signs, so I'll end up doing 25 in a 50 zone and stupid stuff like that.

Roundabouts also annoy me majorly at the moment. I find myself waiting at the entrance a lot constantly looking at the person on my right and waiting for them to go. I'll wait... and wait... and wait some more... But for some reason they're not bloody moving. So I move onto the roundabout, and as soon as I do, it seems like they floor the accellerator and shoot straight for me!?!?! It's happened a lot recently and every time I get told the usual "If this was you test, you would have failed". Really annoying.

On the plus side, I don't have to do a reverse bay park as my test centre has no parking bays!

(Original post by laurenmgbowden)
    Hope yours is ok! It turns out that actually I haven't forgotten how to drive and it went really well Took 10 minutes to get comfortable but back to not having to really think about what I'd doing again, so I'd imagine it won't feel like you're starting from scratch either

Driving in the dark was new though-bit disorientating! My instructor was like, 'I'm suprised you didn't see that car earlier' when one came towards me at about 50 in a 30 zone with only one headlight working-t looked like a bike to me
    Have another lesson at 4 today so hopefully will be a bit more confident in the dark this time
    My first one started off well then I messed up with changing gears driving down to junctions and was just driving too fast everywhere. I had another one yesterday and today and everything seems to be getting better

Do you have a test booked in? I've got mine in just under 3 weeks, just before I go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    i just booked a 3 hour lesson on monday and the weather is like this - hope its better by then because i don't wanna wait until january

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spice_Weasel)
    Got my test tomorrow!! For some reason I'm not all that nervous though (which is strange as I usually crap myself for my uni exams!)

My driving instructor says I'm a really good driver but need to "pay attention" lol :/

I tend to lose concentration after a bit and forget to read road markings and road signs, so I'll end up doing 25 in a 50 zone and stupid stuff like that.

Roundabouts also annoy me majorly at the moment. I find myself waiting at the entrance a lot constantly looking at the person on my right and waiting for them to go. I'll wait... and wait... and wait some more... But for some reason they're not bloody moving. So I move onto the roundabout, and as soon as I do, it seems like they floor the accellerator and shoot straight for me!?!?! It's happened a lot recently and every time I get told the usual "If this was you test, you would have failed". Really annoying.

On the plus side, I don't have to do a reverse bay park as my test centre has no parking bays!
    Ohhh good luck. Not the best weather for a test, hope it went ok!
    And i completely agree with the road markings and losing concentration, it happens to me too. My instructor will say something like "did you not just see that parked car you just missed". me: "no.." I can drive fine, it's just the concentration thing. Must improve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartofglass)
    Ohhh good luck. Not the best weather for a test, hope it went ok!
    And i completely agree with the road markings and losing concentration, it happens to me too. My instructor will say something like "did you not just see that parked car you just missed". me: "no.." I can drive fine, it's just the concentration thing. Must improve.
    Cheers, but I failed in the end though Got 4 minors and a serious driving fault for pulling out of a junction without observing properly:

I'm the red car btw :yep:

Reaaaaaally gutted as I had such a good drive and failed on such a stupid thing!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, but I failed in the end though Got 4 minors and a serious driving fault for pulling out of a junction without observing properly:

I'm the red car btw :yep:

Reaaaaaally gutted as I had such a good drive and failed on such a stupid thing!
    You know its really stupid to asume the green car was going to turn into the road just because the driver was indicating. They could be wanting to turn into a road or drive after the one you were in, or they could have it on my accident and you can fail for that alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    You know its really stupid to asume the green car was going to turn into the road just because the driver was indicating. They could be wanting to turn into a road or drive after the one you were in, or they could have it on my accident and you can fail for that alone.
    This. I've done that in a lesson before and will never do it again! Was scary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    I could kick myself now for doing what I did. For some reason I have the annoying habit of panicing a bit and feeling the urge to rush when it comes to giving way at junctions / roundabouts / etc. I've had around 30 hours of practice with my instructor and I still find it hard to tell when it's safe to go sometimes :/

I've got my retest booked for the 4th Jan so I need to get it sorted asap!

On the plus side I feel a little bit more confident about the next test as I know exactly what to expect!

ReputationRep:
    Passed theory last week & now have my practical booked for just over 6 weeks away! Bit frustrated - wish I could have had the practical a bit sooner, but hopefully it'll all work out Just need to keep practicing at home in the car here (can only get out about once a week) and then have a few lessons when I get back to uni I guess!

ReputationRep:
    I could kick myself now for doing what I did. For some reason I have the annoying habit of panicing a bit and feeling the urge to rush when it comes to giving way at junctions / roundabouts / etc. I've had around 30 hours of practice with my instructor and I still find it hard to tell when it's safe to go sometimes :/

I've got my retest booked for the 4th Jan so I need to get it sorted asap!

On the plus side I feel a little bit more confident about the next test as I know exactly what to expect!
    Just wait for as long as needed. Never take indicators as a sign that someone is going to do something, of course you know what to expect but they aren't to be trusted. So on roundabouts, junctions or anything never pull out as you assume someone is turning because of their indicators.

Thats why it annoys me when learners say "ooo I can't do roundabouts or I dont know when to go on a roundabout because no body bothers to indicate right". Firstly they can't even rely on the indicators so if someone is indicating to come off they shouldn't go anyway, it is all to do with what way the cars are pointing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    Firstly they can't even rely on the indicators so if someone is indicating to come off they shouldn't go anyway, it is all to do with what way the cars are pointing.
    This. Body language of the car and driver is key. Don't rely on signals, you can get some idiots. I drove down the main road for about half a mile behind a car that had its right indicator on but I don't think the driver knew :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C274)
    This. Body language of the car and driver is key. Don't rely on signals, you can get some idiots. I drove down the main road for about half a mile behind a car that had its right indicator on but I don't think the driver knew :|
    Yeah you can tell if a car is going to come off by the way its wheels are pointing and its direction as well.

When the indicator on my 206 broke, it would indicate left at completely random times and be almost impossible to turn off - if people relied on these I could have been in a crash, but obviously I took my own measures by slowing down a lot and indicating right then left to make it look less like I was going to turn.

ReputationRep:
    *comes out of a rock.*

Hi. I just booked my test. I am now very scared

*wanders off*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetopnotch)
    My first one started off well then I messed up with changing gears driving down to junctions and was just driving too fast everywhere. I had another one yesterday and today and everything seems to be getting better

Do you have a test booked in? I've got mine in just under 3 weeks, just before I go to uni.
    My test is 6th Jan :eek3:
    Yeah my first lesson was good, 2nd not bad...saturday had to be the worst ever I clipped the kerb TWICE and I've never ever done that before, screwed up every roundabout we came to, kept changing into 4th instead of 2nd and my instructor actually used his controls a couple of times.
    I was going too fast aswell, didn't slow down enough for junctions and so on. Ahhh well.
    I told him I might cancel my test cos I can't reverse to save my life and obviously can't drive very well! But I was so so so tired that morning, had no sleep, so I'll see how I do tomorrow before I cancel :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I have my first lesson in the snow/ ice today, (its not snowing but the roads are covered in about 2cm which is now ice) my lesson was at 9.30 but my instructor postponed it to 12.00 to hopefully let some of the roads clear, but im still nervous.
    My test is in early January so my general driving is good, but Im really nervous about driving when its icy/ snowy ... I know how my dad struggles on the smaller roads and he has been driving for years.
    Plus im now worried about the lesson time I will be missing before the test because of the snow (driving in normal conditions & manoeuvres etc)
    Anyone else had a lesson in these sort of conditions and can give me any advice or reassurance? Or perhaps just some good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purrrrrfect44)
    I have my first lesson in the snow/ ice today, (its not snowing but the roads are covered in about 2cm which is now ice) my lesson was at 9.30 but my instructor postponed it to 12.00 to hopefully let some of the roads clear, but im still nervous.
    My test is in early January so my general driving is good, but Im really nervous about driving when its icy/ snowy ... I know how my dad struggles on the smaller roads and he has been driving for years.
    Plus im now worried about the lesson time I will be missing before the test because of the snow (driving in normal conditions & manoeuvres etc)
    Anyone else had a lesson in these sort of conditions and can give me any advice or reassurance? Or perhaps just some good luck.
    Me too- I've got a lesson at half one. Imagine if someone had their test in these conditions- my law teacher at college apparently did.

ReputationRep:
    Lesson was at 10:30 which was cancelled.. I have no lesson until next Wednesday.. just great =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atrixa)
    Me too- I've got a lesson at half one. Imagine if someone had their test in these conditions- my law teacher at college apparently did.
    Just got back and it was fine... I made a mountain out of a molehill with all my worrying. Just take it slowley esp round junctions. Good luck with yours.

And they cancel any tests with conditions like this, so people will be sitting at home a bit disappointed I imagine. Any conditions like really heavy rain, fog, snow/ Ice on the road and they cancel all the tests. Im hoping for a bright clear day on the 7th of Jan

ReputationRep:
    I have a 3 hour lesson tomorrow at 8.30am...but the snow is really heavy and it's settling-can't see it clearing by tomorrow morning
    I need all the hours I can get now! Test is getting ever closer! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Ugh. I hate driving in snow. It makes everything unpredictable, especially when you're a novice. Blegh.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.