Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spice_Weasel)
    Nope 2nd time Failed first time with 4 minors and 1 serious for thinking it was safe to pull out of a junction because someone was indicating to come into my road. Was gutted!

Now I'm trying to work out if I can afford to get my own car! Tis going to cost me around £500 to get a car that actually works and isn't going to explode after 50 miles and then it's going to cost me like £1200 for insurance. Bummerrrrrrrrrr
    My mate failed for the same thing the other week! 4 minors on your first test is good, I think I ended with 9 or something and 1 major in my first but I knew I'd failed within 5 minutes so kind of put me off

Yea all the cars I like are like £500+, I'd love to get one to save getting train every day, but insurance is coming out at like £1800+. When I put in I'm 21 it's £500, pfft. So might just wait til I'm 21, and I'm sure if I look carefully at 21 it would be even cheaper (I swear my mates over 21 pay less than that even ones that just passed)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooper)
    OK, I've done 3 lessons so far and thought I'd give a breakdown of each so you can see how I'm progressing (or not as some of you might think).

Lesson 1:

• Explanation of the controls and functions of the car
    • Had a little drive on some residential streets
    • End of lesson

Lesson 2:

• Talked for 15 minutes or so
    • Took a drive through residential roads (10-15 MPH)
    • Did 30 MPH on main roads
    • Went up a hill and learnt about that
    • Fourth gear was used
    • Did 2 roundabouts
    • Drove home
    • Instuctor went to my door and told my Dad that I was "very good and doing well"

Lesson 3:

(This one was a little crappy for me).

• Did a little driving
    • Explanation of the reverse around corner
    • After 3 times it looked like I had it under control (first 2 were mainly being shown how it was done and then some light theory)
    • Did turn in the road and stalled coming out of it
    • Drove to college (he was picking up another person that day I think)
    • Explained my concern over certain aspects of my driving and he said not to worry just need refining but you are doing very well
    • End of lesson

Some of the points are not in order, but you get the picture.
    Wow, much faster than what I did! I'd feel very proud if I were you, you obviously have a natural aptitude for it

[B]On the plus side though, I passed today! 2 minors and I ended up having the head regional examiner for the entire South West as my examiner!.
    Congrats! Were you nervous?
    Mine is on Wednesday, but I can't do reverse round the corner at all, so I'm not too confident Saying that, it might be cancelled anyway-all the tests were today and theres no ice or anything on the road at all :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You're doing things waaaaay faster than I did, I'll say that much. But if you're comfortable, making progress and feel confident about what you're doing then I guess there's no problem?

On the plus side though, I passed today! 2 minors and I ended up having the head regional examiner for the entire South West as my examiner! :eek3:
    Thanks. I love to drive - I find it relaxing rather than stresfull when learning! Well done on passing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenmgbowden)
    Wow, much faster than what I did! I'd feel very proud if I were you, you obviously have a natural aptitude for it
    Thanks, I'm proud LOL I'm not sure I'm a natural though :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I have my test this friday eeek! I have been driving for over a year now and this is the first time I've had the courage to go in for it.. so nervous! but I actually think it may get canceled because of the snow
    Do you fail if you go in the right direction but in another lane which leads to the same place? A few people have said yes and a few people have said not if you correct it after you've done it?:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xsarahhh)
    I have my test this friday eeek! I have been driving for over a year now and this is the first time I've had the courage to go in for it.. so nervous! but I actually think it may get canceled because of the snow
    Do you fail if you go in the right direction but in another lane which leads to the same place? A few people have said yes and a few people have said not if you correct it after you've done it?:eek3:

Your supposed to travel in the left lane unless you cant due to bus lane or theres roadworks etc, unless roadsigns tell different (IE, left lane is for left turn only etc). You use the right lane for turning right etc but generally drive in left lane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeM)
    Your supposed to travel in the left lane unless you cant due to bus lane or theres roadworks etc, unless roadsigns tell different (IE, left lane is for left turn only etc). You use the right lane for turning right etc but generally drive in left lane.

ahh yeah I usually do that anyway, thought id just ask encase I do something stupid and end up in the right hand lane haha as my worst habit is forgetting to read road signs as im so used to driving on the test routes the way my instructor takes me :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenmgbowden)
    Mine is on Wednesday, but I can't do reverse round the corner at all, so I'm not too confident Saying that, it might be cancelled anyway-all the tests were today and theres no ice or anything on the road at all :rolleyes:
    Good luck on Wednesday, I remember you were doing your theory when I passed I think? I recognise your username anyway :p: Don't worry I couldn't do reverse round corner and thought stuff this I'm going for the test rather than paying for lessons when I'm not improving...went for the test and although he was trying to find a place (kept looking down side streets but they were all in use!) he couldn't so I didn't do it . Downside was I had bay park....which I did perfectly for the first time ever, so if you get something you don't want just give it a go and try your best at it. I just thought well I've hopefully passed up to now, I've had bad luck on bay parking before, but this is when it matters, let's try and change that now.... it worked :woo: (it didn't help I had to wait a few minutes for the person before me to do it though!)

Good luck . It really depends on the examiner and (I know it doesn't help much!) the circumstances. For example the one I passed I came round a corner and was told to go left back towards the test centre, maybe the fact I'd driven so well for the rest of it (no minors at that point) influenced it, and had it been half hour earlier I'd have failed I don't know... but it was a hidden corner in a way and I slowed but but felt I went round it waaaaaaaaay too fast. As a result I ended up in the right hand lane and thought damn I've failed this then, but moved back over to the left and carried on like normal. At the end he said because I dealt with it quickly and properly (using my mirrors and signalling) then it's only a minor. If I was to do that on the middle of a busy roundabout the result would probably be different. There was no traffic around, so it really does depend. Certainly try not to assume you've failed if something goes wrong, because the chances are you are making it worse than it is because of the pressure you're putting yourself under to pass, and that could lead you to make more mistakes when the examiner might not have even noted the first one! Easy to say now I've passed I know, but I got 3 minors in the last little bit when I'd had none before that, so I think it does affect you and you really have to put it out of your mind, I'd have been gutted if I'd then failed for thinking I'd failed when I hadn't! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)

Good luck . It really depends on the examiner and (I know it doesn't help much!) the circumstances. For example the one I passed I came round a corner and was told to go left back towards the test centre, maybe the fact I'd driven so well for the rest of it (no minors at that point) influenced it, and had it been half hour earlier I'd have failed I don't know... but it was a hidden corner in a way and I slowed but but felt I went round it waaaaaaaaay too fast. As a result I ended up in the right hand lane and thought damn I've failed this then, but moved back over to the left and carried on like normal. At the end he said because I dealt with it quickly and properly (using my mirrors and signalling) then it's only a minor. If I was to do that on the middle of a busy roundabout the result would probably be different. There was no traffic around, so it really does depend. Certainly try not to assume you've failed if something goes wrong, because the chances are you are making it worse than it is because of the pressure you're putting yourself under to pass, and that could lead you to make more mistakes when the examiner might not have even noted the first one! Easy to say now I've passed I know, but I got 3 minors in the last little bit when I'd had none before that, so I think it does affect you and you really have to put it out of your mind, I'd have been gutted if I'd then failed for thinking I'd failed when I hadn't! :p:
    oh that was good then! yeah I think the best thing I can do like you said is just try deal with the mistakes as quickly as possible and not presume it made me fail, thanks

ReputationRep:
    oh that was good then! yeah I think the best thing I can do like you said is just try deal with the mistakes as quickly as possible and not presume it made me fail, thanks
    Yep, use your mirrors a lot too! I used them so much on my 2nd test and didn't get any minors for it (and it saved me failing at one point). In my first test I got a few minors for not using them enough

ReputationRep:
    Argh, test tomorrow - cannot reverse round any corners and I actually think roundabouts are evil. Can't think quick enough to know when I can go - by the time I realise the gap has gone!
    Just know I'm gonna mess something up and that'll be that....ah well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozz2601)
    Argh, test tomorrow - cannot reverse round any corners and I actually think roundabouts are evil. Can't think quick enough to know when I can go - by the time I realise the gap has gone!
    Just know I'm gonna mess something up and that'll be that....ah well.
    Roundabouts ARE evil :p: Good luck! . And don't worry, examiners are human, you might mess something up that they don't see

ReputationRep:
    I've had about 10 lessons in the snow (plus 25 in normal conditions) which have all been un-eventful and I was feeling a bit more confident in driving in the snow/ Ice (although still cautious). I just had another one tonight at 19.30 for an hour and wow my instructor should be given a bravery medal... She was happy to take me out in the poor conditions and Im very grateful as I wouldn't have had the confidence otherwise.
    Skidded once on one roundabout (Yes I let out a small scream); but the instructor managed to stop the car & then skidded again on another roundabout but this time I managed to stop it before it got out of control....rest of lesson was carried out in what felt like slow motion...and Breathe!
    If you have a chance to even do a small bit of driving with your instructor in the snow (obviously not in conditions that mean the journey is a risk) I would recommend it.
    Oh and I have a test scheduled for Thursday 10.14 - HA! that looks very unlikely now

ReputationRep:
    Got my first horn today! Had about 20 hours so far. Just starting doing reverse round a corner didn't find it too hard! But god hill starts when you have a load of angry drivers behind you are hard :P

Does anyone else have a test this week and is worrying about the snow? I am

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad my test is in Feb, hopefully the snow will have been and gone by then.
    But argh, snow = less hours on the road. My instructor point blank refuses lessons in the tiniest bit of snow or ice because once someone 'ruined a wheel' in his car by hitting the kerb when it was icy. Oh joys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)
    Roundabouts ARE evil :p: Good luck! . And don't worry, examiners are human, you might mess something up that they don't see
    As it happened I have a few more weeks to worry :p:

Cancelled due to the STUPID cold/ice!

How much snow or ice was there for it be cancelled? I've got my test on Thursday and if my test gets cancelled the next time I'm available to do it is at Easter which means I've wasted all of this month's lessons

ReputationRep:

Ah that sucks!! I doubt many will be going on anywhere though, hope you get another test date that's not too far away!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20, passed in feb 07, had 20 lessons, which was probably overdoing it imo...plus some prac with my parents. During my lesson, the day before the test I nearly went the wrong way round a bollard lol (it was dark and a new place ok!) which required my instructor to step in. I'd been so confident up and pretty adept until that point but that mistake changed my approach to driving. On the test I concentrated like never before and came through with no minors. I know a few people who got a minor for forgetting to check the blindspot before moving off...simple stuff. Plus if you're worried about not looking in the mirrors at the right times the assessor usually looks over slightly, looking out for that. Remember to look quite far ahead when possible to anticipate hazards etc...makes driving so much easier. I did my test at a nice 1.33pm weekday, not loads of cars around which made life easier. Gutted if you have to do it in the next few days with the weather! nah just take it slower, and don't worry about hitting the speed limits all the time... a lot of the time the conditions aren't suitable to do so (well when you're learning!). Good luck!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.