Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    How did it go?
    Passed on the 25th Jan

ReputationRep:
    I've been having lessons since August (two hour lessons). I have lost count how many lessons I've had. I have my test next month.

Only problem is I seem to have gone backwards with roundabouts. I was fine with them but now i'm either hesitating or being dangerous, pulling out infront of traffic:eek3:

Another thing is bay parking. I'm fine with it if theres loads of bays free but I'm never sure which bay I'll end up it. How do you line it up? I line it up for the reference point in his car, which is a white light against the door handle. BUT how do I figure out which bay I will end up in? I had a mock test last week and almost reversed into an occupied bay!!

(Original post by something_vague)
    I've been having lessons since August (two hour lessons). I have lost count how many lessons I've had. I have my test next month.

Only problem is I seem to have gone backwards with roundabouts. I was fine with them but now i'm either hesitating or being dangerous, pulling out infront of traffic:eek3:

Another thing is bay parking. I'm fine with it if theres loads of bays free but I'm never sure which bay I'll end up it. How do you line it up? I line it up for the reference point in his car, which is a white light against the door handle. BUT how do I figure out which bay I will end up in? I had a mock test last week and almost reversed into an occupied bay!!
    We don't need to do bay parking around here for the test but I learnt it as you need it anyway lol.

If your going into a bay front first, I go as far away from the bay as possible, then when the front goes past the first line of the bay you want to go into, full lock and then ease off as necessary.

Same with reverse but opposite, when back gets to the first white line I full lock and then adjust as I go in too straighten out.

I'm sure their is a proper way instructors teach but that works for me.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that's kind of helpful but I am still confused haha.

The numbers are the white lines. Driving instructor says to go three lines from the bay you aim to park in (this is reverse bay park). and line up line 3 with the door handle (which is just the reference point for his car) then full lock.. and that works fine. but I'm confused where line three is. If I was to do it as I described would I end up in the correct bay from this pic? He has tried to explain it to me but I still don't get it. I'm just worried I will get it in my test and I will end up in the wrong bay.

(Original post by something_vague)
    Thanks that's kind of helpful but I am still confused haha.

The numbers are the white lines. Driving instructor says to go three lines from the bay you aim to park in (this is reverse bay park). and line up line 3 with the door handle (which is just the reference point for his car) then full lock.. and that works fine. but I'm confused where line three is. If I was to do it as I described would I end up in the correct bay from this pic? He has tried to explain it to me but I still don't get it. I'm just worried I will get it in my test and I will end up in the wrong bay.

I think you would end up in the bay next to it, well half of it.

Ask your instructor since my way I invented myself, I think thats turning too early though tbh.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Usually at test centres there will be some free bays, just pick a bay with empty ones either side, and turn the moment you think you ought to, because it's much easier to correct that way than if you go to far. On my test I very nearly failed the park when I went too far, had to really swing it back in and ended up just my side of the line. Oh and do it really slowly = more time to correct.

ReputationRep:
    Annoyingly I've had my test cancelled due to snow, (quite bad in Northampton). Also on the way back had a snow driving lesson, involving serious wheel spin up a snowy hill.

Of people who have had their test cancelled due to the snow (probably in Jan) how long was it before you re-test (is it right to the end of the current list?) and are you able to claim money for the hire of the instructors car during the test? It was cancelled just before I was due to start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chriz M)
    Annoyingly I've had my test cancelled due to snow, (quite bad in Northampton). Also on the way back had a snow driving lesson, involving serious wheel spin up a snowy hill.

Of people who have had their test cancelled due to the snow (probably in Jan) how long was it before you re-test (is it right to the end of the current list?) and are you able to claim money for the hire of the instructors car during the test? It was cancelled just before I was due to start.
    Think im ready for the test but such a long way away 29th april lookin for cancellations DX

ReputationRep:
    :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg:
    test on sundayyyy

i found a cancellation :eek2:

ReputationRep:
    I have my test.. tomorrow! :indiff: I've been learning for sooo long, I'll be quite gutted if I don't pass. I'm pretty confident on everything, reversing round corners can be a bit iffy though. Oh, and I really don't like the prospect of having to reverse into the bays at the test centre - they're teeny weeny and I only did my first reverse bay park today. What the hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icapturethecastle)
    :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg:
    test on sundayyyy

i found a cancellation :eek2:
    I never knew they did tests on Sunday? Well found!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chriz M)
    I never knew they did tests on Sunday? Well found!
    me either... was pretty pleased myself :cute:

ReputationRep:
    Had just over 40 hours of lessons, got my theory on the 5th of march, and then have about a month maximum to pass my practical before my instructer goes off for maturnity leave :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie-rose88)
    You sound exactly like me! I'm good at everything else, I just find roundabouts really intimidating and panic a bit. I find it so hard to judge what the other cars are doing :woo:
    JUST LIKE ME!!!! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    my first practical test is tomorrow:eek3: I need to really look over the show me tell me questions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xsarahhh)
    my first practical test is tomorrow:eek3: I need to really look over the show me tell me questions...
    Me too! I'm a bit iffy on the show me tell me too, surely most of it is common sense though.. right? :p: Good luck though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyyy)
    Me too! I'm a bit iffy on the show me tell me too, surely most of it is common sense though.. right? :p: Good luck though!
    yeah just hope my mind doesn't go blank tomorrow haha, good luck too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icapturethecastle)
    me either... was pretty pleased myself :cute:
    You're so lucky! My test centre is SO popular and they only do tests Monday to Friday! I have another test in a month, but I'd like it sooner!

ReputationRep:
    I passed my theory test on Wednesday, 49/50 multiple choice and 66/75 on Harzard Perception

I am going to book my practical next tuesday for early April, although I have only had 8 hours of lessons eeeek!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    You're so lucky! My test centre is SO popular and they only do tests Monday to Friday! I have another test in a month, but I'd like it sooner!
    lol lucky?! this is my 6th go :teehee: but yeah it's the first time in all my tests i've seen a sunday some up :moon:

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.