The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Had my third lesson today. Was okay but I seem to have gone backwards in a couple of areas since last time. There were a couple times where my instructor took control of the pedals completely to get me back on track. Hopefully my next lesson won't be as bad.
my next test is on monday, and i haven't had a lesson in aaaages cos i've been in hospital, and now he is in cornwall until the actual day of the test, eek...
Passed my theory today, booking my test tomorrow morning asap (:
Had a perfect lesson today, nothing went drastically wrong, aha :smile:

My instructor has an inspection or something in my lesson next week - meaning I get a free lesson just for having some guy sat in the back :smile: Good times.
I had my 6th lesson today so I have done 12 hours. My 5th lesson was appalling because I hadn't driven for 2 weeks and had to get back into it, but this one was quite good. I need to slow down when approaching roundabouts more, but and make sure my observations are up to scratch, but i think I have finally got the hang of junctions, roundabout approaches etc.

I haven't started any manovers yet, is this bad because I have done 12hours? My test is in less than 5 weeks.........
Reply 9965
*Tears and Butterflies*
I had my 6th lesson today so I have done 12 hours. My 5th lesson was appalling because I hadn't driven for 2 weeks and had to get back into it, but this one was quite good. I need to slow down when approaching roundabouts more, but and make sure my observations are up to scratch, but i think I have finally got the hang of junctions, roundabout approaches etc.

I haven't started any manovers yet, is this bad because I have done 12hours? My test is in less than 5 weeks.........

Why not? You don't reall need to be able to drive that well to do them, they are pretty/very easy.

So yeah you will be fine, in an hour lesson he could teach you most of them then you can refine them in your next lesson - and just practice them with your parents.

If you have a drive, then depending on what size it is etc. you can practice the TIR, maybe the RRC, I moved my parents cars to do a bay park in between them and a parallel park as well.
Had a much better lesson today. Stalled a couple of times but they were the only major things that went wrong. But my instructors helped me with my clutch control loads today. The only reason I stalled was because I didn't realise that I was moving my legs when I was going to pull out of a junction.

I'm starting to feel like I'm more in control of the car now and my instructor's not taking control of the car as much now. Did a turn in the road in 3 points, and managed a steep hill start. I also worked on positioning and right of way in different situations. It was quite a good lesson IMO.

Only my 5th hour of driving as well!
Reply 9967
That is a nice thread. Had my lesson today. Stalled at first due to having new shoes (skating shoes) (ps the gas feels so nice in them as they are wide and long and base if slat).

Anyways problem was gear stick some how i managed to switch to 4th rather than 1s and stalled ofcourse. (a little pissed off as I can`t always be shure whether i got the right gear. (it is when i switch down gears) when I swich Up 1st- 2nd -3rd I am fine. that is like my 7th-8th lesson (I don`t count them)

Did any one had similar problem?

PS (what is a mock test ? haven`t heard of it )
Reply 9968
onebro
That is a nice thread. Had my lesson today. Stalled at first due to having new shoes (skating shoes) (ps the gas feels so nice in them as they are wide and long and base if slat).

Anyways problem was gear stick some how i managed to switch to 4th rather than 1s and stalled ofcourse. (a little pissed off as I can`t always be shure whether i got the right gear. (it is when i switch down gears) when I swich Up 1st- 2nd -3rd I am fine. that is like my 7th-8th lesson (I don`t count them)

Did any one had similar problem?

PS (what is a mock test ? haven`t heard of it )

How can you go from 4th to 1st, 1st is up and 4th is down? Though i did it with different gears.

A mock test is when you do exactly what you do on your test with your instructor and they mark you as if they were an examiner.
Reply 9969
A few questions, one for me since I have forgot and just one out of general interest :gah:.

If you come to a stop sign, do you have to totally stop and then go forward or can you roll up and then go if its clear?

The maneuvers, if a car comes while you do say hmm.. turn in the road... you stop until they stop or go past and then continue yes? Friend has his test on monday and I just want to check I gave him the right answer.
Rucklo
A few questions, one for me since I have forgot and just one out of general interest :gah:.

If you come to a stop sign, do you have to totally stop and then go forward or can you roll up and then go if its clear?

The maneuvers, if a car comes while you do say hmm.. turn in the road... you stop until they stop or go past and then continue yes? Friend has his test on monday and I just want to check I gave him the right answer.

If it says stop, you have to stop. If you don't on your test, that's classed as a major and you'll fail.

With the turn in the road, what my instructors told me is that people should wait for you to finish your turn but they don't always. I had that in my last lesson, bloody impatient 4x4 drivers.
Reply 9971
Wednesday Bass
If it says stop, you have to stop. If you don't on your test, that's classed as a major and you'll fail.

With the turn in the road, what my instructors told me is that people should wait for you to finish your turn but they don't always. I had that in my last lesson, bloody impatient 4x4 drivers.

I have done my test, I am on about real life :gah:.

And ahh okay right.
Rucklo
I have done my test, I am on about real life :gah:.

And ahh okay right.

In real life, if it's an open junction and you can see there's nothing coming, I'd say just go through. But if it's a closed one I'd say it's better to stop, just to be on the safe side.
I have my (second) theory test tomorrow and i'm sure that i'll pass this time but i'm really worried! D;
passed the theory! now alls i need to worry about is the test!
patriceee
passed the theory! now alls i need to worry about is the test!

Well done! :smile:
Reply 9976
there are traffic lights up ahead, i havent brake enough, or they suddenly change red, can i still carry on, as braking too harshly would be a problem and may cause an accident. ( by the wai, in this scenario there are no people at the lights)

can i do this on my test- i.e go through the light as stopping would cause a hazard
Would I fail if I do this as I do often in my lessons...

In eavy traffic I often just rooll forward by taking my foot off the brake and liftting my clutch a little
Any general advice would be helpful as I just got all angsty about how long this is taking and want drive by june when im eighteen. Then my instructor said ok just drive and ill say nothing (and he has said almost nothing in some lessons... but I was like this is it remember thisthis, this this thi this And this and dont forget that. And I messed up literally evrything..super easy stuff to he was doin so much for me in the end and I stalled three tiomes which i havent done for like 12 lessons.... my shoes were also the most uncomfortable thing ever!
Reply 9979
khan1212
there are traffic lights up ahead, i havent brake enough, or they suddenly change red, can i still carry on, as braking too harshly would be a problem and may cause an accident. ( by the wai, in this scenario there are no people at the lights)

can i do this on my test- i.e go through the light as stopping would cause a hazard

Yes if you are too close to the lights and they go amber you continue.

girlodnyu
Would I fail if I do this as I do often in my lessons...

In eavy traffic I often just rooll forward by taking my foot off the brake and liftting my clutch a little

Thats fine.

Quick Reply

Latest