Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

(Original post by Sephrenia)
    :proud: Best lesson yet I think =D Although squirrels were bombarding us with acorns....I just aimed for where i wanted to go :p: so around the corner without hitting anything- and it happened

good luck for your test whenever it is :hugs:
    yeeah looking where you wnat to go sounds obvious but it actually really works :proud:.

thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥♥♥)
    yeeah looking where you wnat to go sounds obvious but it actually really works :proud:.

thank you!
    I think my mums wording was 'Imagine theres someone you really hate in the middle of the road and you need to run them over - aim for them!'

You're welcome =D

ReputationRep:
    I had such a bad lesson today, just couldn't bay park it was horrible
    I've also realised how nervous i get before a lesson with my instructor but when i drive with my dad i'm fine. any tips on how to stop nerves taking over your driving and building confidence?

p.s. good luck to anyone with tests coming up
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I think over time the nerves just naturally die down. I'm nowhere near as nervous as i used to be.

ReputationRep:
    I had such a bad lesson today, just couldn't bay park it was horrible
    I've also realised how nervous i get before a lesson with my instructor but when i drive with my dad i'm fine. any tips on how to stop nerves taking over your driving and building confidence?
    I had a bad lesson today too
    Missed a set of tempory traffic lights and should have stopped, also missed them on the way back-oops
    Stalled twice because of nerves as well.
    My instructor is a real nice person but he makes me so nervous, and i'm in the exact same position as you i drive ten times better with my dad because i'm less nervous and panicky. I don't know if this helps but i'm going to finish my six lessons with my instructor and my dads offered to teach me- i think its the only way i can build up my confidence and learn to my style not to my instructors rigid programme. Seriously just do what you feel you want to do, because the worse thing is feeling miserable over them, i know how much driving lessons can bring you down.

Anyway got another one tommorow so i'll report back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    I think over time the nerves just naturally die down. I'm nowhere near as nervous as i used to be.
    ^^^That is definitely true. In my first few lessons, I actually used to be nervous before my next lesson! Now I look forward it so much knowing what I'll learn and that bit closer to the test.

I've had 14 (I think) lessons now and it was the best lesson so far. My instructor said zilch apart from obviously where to turn etc. He's said a few more lessons and I should go for the test...

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit nervous before my lessons, I haven't had very many. But I think it's because I'm still getting used to driving and knowing what to do. But the instructor is really nice and keeps saying that if I stall then it really doesn't matter and if I make mistakes then he doesn't care because I'm a learner!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_J87)
    I had a bad lesson today too
    Missed a set of tempory traffic lights and should have stopped, also missed them on the way back-oops
    Stalled twice because of nerves as well.
    My instructor is a real nice person but he makes me so nervous, and i'm in the exact same position as you i drive ten times better with my dad because i'm less nervous and panicky. I don't know if this helps but i'm going to finish my six lessons with my instructor and my dads offered to teach me- i think its the only way i can build up my confidence and learn to my style not to my instructors rigid programme. Seriously just do what you feel you want to do, because the worse thing is feeling miserable over them, i know how much driving lessons can bring you down.

Anyway got another one tommorow so i'll report back
    Thanks for that, glad to know it's not just me! I just feel that if I leave my instructor think of all the money I've wasted, and I've come so far too. Im kind of ready to book my test I just really need to brush up and be smooth at driving and manouveres.

ReputationRep:
    ;w00t; got another lesson tomorrow :p:

also about the nerves, i dont have any private practice (coz my dad and sister wont let me drive their cars :s: im slightly offended lol :p:) but i think id be more nervous driving with my dad than my instructor mainly coz i wouldnt want to look like an idiot in front of him or end up making loads of mistakes

ReputationRep:
    I'm more nervous and make more mistakes with my Dad in the car than I ever have been with my instructor, even though my Dad and I have only been to a quiet carpark to practice controls at the beginning! I just feel more embarassed at makign mistakes in front of him, than with my instructor who is paid and has much worse drivers in the car with him all day!

ReputationRep:
    I drive with my mum. I often drive a bit wishy washy in her car but im more confident. When im in my lessons i tend to me more nervous and tense. Not sure why. Think its cos i do more challenging things.

ReputationRep:
    Had (what I think was my 11th) lesson yesterday, wasn't that great. Practiced reversing round a corner hundreds of times, but went up the curb almost every time, think I managed one good one. But I think I know the cause of that, something that i'd been bottling up since the night before and I kinda exploded on the way home, but she was so nice to me when I was in floods of tears. Parallel park was ok, not as great as last week when I did it first time, but managed second time this week. Also drove through the town, because she wanted me to have a bit of practise during rush hour, even though every lesson I have with her is during rush hour, but hey it's all practice. I love my driving lessons and my intructor is so nice, i'm actually going to miss her so much when/if I pass, in 3 weeks.

Good luck to anyone taking practical/theory soon.

ReputationRep:
    I would probably be more nervous with my mum. I can see her squeaking at every little thing!

ReputationRep:
    Had my lesson in the dark and it went very well. I drove well, my pedal controls were good for the second lesson in a row, just need to drum some consistency in that area.

We went on some other roads, mainly traffic lights and some roundabouts. First roundabout we went to, I was so focused on getting the bite etc that didnt see the green light had gone! Just need to speed up aswell when exiting from junctions into busy roads.

-Also, lets say Im in 3rd gear and Im wanting to turn left into a road. Would it be that slow down, clutch down into second, and THEN do I release the clutch fully or leave it to biting point?

-And I have problems sometimes at roundabouts, we'll have stopped and handbrake's on. We set off, and its in first then ASAP we put it into second and I tend to have issues doing more than two things at once (Putting it into second and turning the wheel at the same time).

Tips on both points would be appreciated.

:-)

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand your reasoning here. To build up confidence, you're going to learn with someone you're already comfortable with? :confused:

Unless your Dad is a qualified instructor (and if he is then great!) then I wouldn't recommend just learning with him - learning to pass your test is not just "learning to drive" but literally "learning to pass your test" - many people who have been driving for years and years would fail their test if they took it again tomorrow. Why? Because they form little bad habits which aren't "bad" as such but would be looked down on by the examiner. Your Dad will most likely not know how to teach you properly how to drive, and so you may pick up these bad habits and when you go back to drive with your instructor (if you do so) then it'll be even worse because he's just going to have to try to get you OUT of these habits!

I know how bad it is, trust me, I would come back from every single lesson covered in sweat (literally!), it was so disgusting! I was just so nervous every lesson and sometimes I felt like I'd "failed" my instructor by stalling or by doing something wrong. Like he'd taught me it and I just hadn't listened to him. It's not true!

You say you want to learn "to your style". Mostly, that's not the way to go about it. If everyone who wanted to learn things "their style" did, then people wouldn't get anywhere....you're just going to drive around and get lazy - believe me, when I drove around with my Dad, because he didn't notice certain things (like mirror checks, etc.) then in the back of my mind I was thinking "I can get away with not checking that mirror, ha!" and so wouldn't. With your instructor you need to know that if you do anything wrong, he'll pick up on it.

Anyway, as I say, unless your Dad is a qualified instructor I wouldn't recommend just driving with him, supplement it with some lessons at least!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I would say a lesson every 2 weeks or something at least with a qualified instructor, that way you can find out if your going wrong anywhere. Theres no point coming to the test and failing it for something silly like not checking mirrors often enough.

I think all people are nervous when learning to drive, i was, but there comes a time when you don't get nervous anymore.

I don't get nervous anymore it's just anticipation before the lesson and all that. Like come on hurry up I wanna show my skillz.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE]I don't understand your reasoning here. To build up confidence, you're going to learn with someone you're already comfortable with?

Unless your Dad is a qualified instructor (and if he is then great!) then I wouldn't recommend just learning with him [/QUOTEA

A family friend used to be a driving instructor but because he lives elsewhere he can't teach me. So he's told my dad exactly what i need to learn, where i need to be driving and when i need to learn everything. But that wasn't what gave me the idea for my dad to teach me, my best friend passed last year after giving up on 3 instructors from three different schools and having fourteen lessons and her dad got her through it and she passed first time, so i think in some cases it can work, and i hope it does for me, because i am fed up of what its costing (just paid £558 and am now completely broke) and getting do upset over them.

ReputationRep:
    A family friend used to be a driving instructor but because he lives elsewhere he can't teach me. So he's told my dad exactly what i need to learn, where i need to be driving and when i need to learn everything. But that wasn't what gave me the idea for my dad to teach me, my best friend passed last year after giving up on 3 instructors from three different schools and having fourteen lessons and her dad got her through it and she passed first time, so i think in some cases it can work, and i hope it does for me, because i am fed up of what its costing (just paid £558 and am now completely broke) and getting do upset over them.
    Fair enough

I paid over £600 for my lessons with my instructor and paid £70 for insurance on my Dad's car just for a little bit of extra practice. I, too, passed first time. I hope it goes well for you then

Seriously was today everyone is ****ing stupid on the road day? Did I miss the memo?

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.