Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥♥♥)
    I've started to really like driving, yesterday I went for a 3 hour drive with my aunty and twice another person wa sin the passenger seat chatting and i was FINE! I stalled ONCE made no dangerous mistakes at all, kept it smooth as possible(nice touch for passegers they dont want a rickety ride!).
    #excited#.
    stoopid L plate fell off on the front though! thank god I got spares :p:!
    Yay! You'll defo pass :proud:

(Original post by dobbs)
    Yay! You'll defo pass :proud:
    Ta :^_^: I managed to bagsy three hours of lessons with my ADI this week but the next few weeks and so on are a completely differnet matter. He can get so busy!!!!

my roundabouts are almsot perfect as welll now. I can even survive the beast that is the army and navy. Though sometimes I do slightly pass the white line cus st00pid people indicate wrongly/dont indicate but hopefully I can brush that up and hopefully that wouldn't gimme a serious depending on situation? like I was the only person wishing to enter the roundabout so hindering no ones vision! NOte: this is like a thing that happens maybe once every 2 months or so in my lessons? I reckon it'll be fine. I feel like a proper driver now cus I'm confident in my ability :^_^:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    To me, this is more important than most things really! Did anyone watch that "Drivers" thing tonight, think it was on BBC1, new drama series about people learning to drive (quite funny)? Anywho she drove better when she was relaxed and was enjoying the experience, and although a TV programme, it's so true!!

Honestly my best piece of advice for when you take your test (listen up Lil ) is to remember the person sitting next to you is a human and, incredibly enough, has a life outside of that car. When you have your lessons, practice having some conversations with your instructor (obviously not about the meaning of life or the evolution of mankind!!) and then make sure you are comfortable with driving and chatting, if possible. Then you can chat to your examiner a bit, and in turn you should be more relaxed and your driving will be better

Enjoy the experience = makes you better! It's like everything in life, if you enjoy school then you generally come out with better grades, enjoy working in a particular environment will make you good at that job, etc etc.

Good advice
    yea i saw that programme and my instructor today told me the same thing; that the more relaxed you are the more you are likely to enjoy driving. I never realised before that i was really tensed up whilst driving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    To me, this is more important than most things really! Did anyone watch that "Drivers" thing tonight, think it was on BBC1, new drama series about people learning to drive (quite funny)? Anywho she drove better when she was relaxed and was enjoying the experience, and although a TV programme, it's so true!!

Honestly my best piece of advice for when you take your test (listen up Lil ) is to remember the person sitting next to you is a human and, incredibly enough, has a life outside of that car. When you have your lessons, practice having some conversations with your instructor (obviously not about the meaning of life or the evolution of mankind!!) and then make sure you are comfortable with driving and chatting, if possible. Then you can chat to your examiner a bit, and in turn you should be more relaxed and your driving will be better

Enjoy the experience = makes you better! It's like everything in life, if you enjoy school then you generally come out with better grades, enjoy working in a particular environment will make you good at that job, etc etc.

Good advice
    Yea i watched that. I absoloutely p*ssed myself laughing at the start when that black woman laughed over every bump . Was good, i enjoyed it, and yea i agree once she was relaxed and not stressing over everything she passed easily. But 10 times though! Bloomin eck!

As for talking to your instructor, we spend all lessons gabbing about the X factor (yes, my ADI watches it) and his hectic life.
    hehe :p:.

Oh, and just to add i had a pretty good lesson today. Passed my mock test (finally), although i got confused at the start with directions which he had to help me with, but he let me off. I also went over the speed limit by 2mph but luckily not long enough to get failed. So a couple of close calls, but still passed with 4 minors. So am feeling more confident about my test!

ReputationRep:
    Mines on 28th Nov, but why did I pick 8.20am? Driving instrutor last week said:
    "Good job you're sitting down coz i've got to tell you that i'll be picking you up at 7am" *Que histerical laughing* "You're kidding right?"

She wasn't, and if I change it now, which i'm not going to do, I can't get another till at least the end of January.

I so badly want to pass first time, I know i'm probably jinxing it now, but I seriously can't remember feeling so strongly about something before. But if I do, that's going to be one hell of a week. Sixteen days, eep!!

ReputationRep:
    Had my 13th lesson today, just a general drive, we did some driving on busier roads with traffic lights. Some things Im not sure of though...

-Just wanted some tips when it comes to traffic lights, we were in a large queue at traffic lights in terms of my pedals. From memory, I had my clutch down and I was finding my bite then gas to move up, clutch down then brake. Im confusing myself here now, lol. Basically, when you're a in a long queue, what do you do in terms of your pedals?

-Past 2/3 lessons my pedal controls have been much better which has been pleasing for me, prior to my last 2-3 lessons we did the odd 3 point turn which we havent done for the past 2-3 lessons, I found that weird, we havent done it once. Why's he not made me do the 3 point turn? Is he dragging me back for an extra lesson or what?

Thats it, thanks for the advice, it helps me alot.

:-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    -Just wanted some tips when it comes to traffic lights, we were in a large queue at traffic lights in terms of my pedals. From memory, I had my clutch down and I was finding my bite then gas to move up, clutch down then brake. Im confusing myself here now, lol. Basically, when you're a in a long queue, what do you do in terms of your pedals?
    What you're doing there is correct. The only thing I would add is that if it's a long queue and you're sitting there waiting with the red light on is to, once stopped (clutch down and brake down) then put the handbrake on so that you don't have to keep your foot down on the brake. Just keep your hand on the handbrake and ready to bring the clutch to the bite and foot on gas for when the lights turn green again.

If you feel quite confident and it's a REALLLY STUPIDLY LONG traffic light then you can also, once the handbrake is on, put the gears into neutral and take your foot off the clutch. It just gives your left foot a bit of a rest too, however only do this if you're happy that as soon as there is any sign of you moving off soon (i.e. if the cars at the other entrances to the junction have stopped, signalling that your lights will be going green in a second) that you will put the clutch down, get into first, and then ready with the bite again. Otherwise you will look stupid when you take the handbrake off and you're in neutral :p:

-Past 2/3 lessons my pedal controls have been much better which has been pleasing for me, prior to my last 2-3 lessons we did the odd 3 point turn which we havent done for the past 2-3 lessons, I found that weird, we havent done it once. Why's he not made me do the 3 point turn? Is he dragging me back for an extra lesson or what?

There are a number of reasons for this - have you been doing the other manouvres? If not then you should be doing one or two each lesson (more if you're doing 2hr lessons) If you're not doing any, just ask him if you can try them again, or why you're not doing them - he will give you a straight answer. Very few instructors out there actually try to drag people along for more lessons than they need as if the pupil realises this they tell their mates and very quickly that instructor gets a bad reputation in your area = not good!

It may be that he just wanted to concentrate on doing regular driving before going back to doing manouvres, so don't worry too much about it 13 lessons is just under half way to being at the average number of lessons needed to pass (i.e. around 30-35hrs), so you've still got plenty of time to perfect it!

ReputationRep:
    Had a 2hr lesson at half 7 last night, in the pitch black! We drove up to where my test centre is, about 40 minutes away (but no traffic etc), which was good. Did dual carriageways for the first time which was good, feel confident about using them and going at a higher speed. There are three near my test centre, a a 30mph, a 40mph and a 50mph, with a 70mph one a little further out, so I must try to remember that the dual carriageway right by the test centre (which is frequently used on test routes) is only a 30. He said that my confidence as a driver is really good and he's surprised I haven't had practice elsewhere as my confidence driving at speed and at night is good, and quite unusual. He did warn my that my speed was a little too high at times, despite me not going over the limit, so I drove home at 27-28mph which he said was much better and will demonstrate much more control to my examiner. we stopped at a petrol station and he bought "The sound of bread" cd/album as he thought I needed something mellow to help me slow down a bit! He gets more and more like my Dad by the mile!
    He showed me a few spots where other pupils have failed their tests, and before he said anything asked me what the correct procedure would be, and I got them right so that's good, as long as I can do the same on the day. of a big roundabout, and a no entrance at another exit, and a road where you have alternating priority over oncoming vehicles which is annoying. Got my next two doubles booked and then will cram as many as possible in the week before my test. Getting nervous now but hopefully if I just take my time and don't panic I'll be OK!

(Original post by prettyblueeyes)
    Had a 2hr lesson at half 7 last night, in the pitch black! We drove up to where my test centre is, about 40 minutes away (but no traffic etc), which was good. Did dual carriageways for the first time which was good, feel confident about using them and going at a higher speed. There are three near my test centre, a a 30mph, a 40mph and a 50mph, with a 70mph one a little further out, so I must try to remember that the dual carriageway right by the test centre (which is frequently used on test routes) is only a 30. He said that my confidence as a driver is really good and he's surprised I haven't had practice elsewhere as my confidence driving at speed and at night is good, and quite unusual. He did warn my that my speed was a little too high at times, despite me not going over the limit, so I drove home at 27-28mph which he said was much better and will demonstrate much more control to my examiner. we stopped at a petrol station and he bought "The sound of bread" cd/album as he thought I needed something mellow to help me slow down a bit! He gets more and more like my Dad by the mile!
    He showed me a few spots where other pupils have failed their tests, and before he said anything asked me what the correct procedure would be, and I got them right so that's good, as long as I can do the same on the day. of a big roundabout, and a no entrance at another exit, and a road where you have alternating priority over oncoming vehicles which is annoying. Got my next two doubles booked and then will cram as many as possible in the week before my test. Getting nervous now but hopefully if I just take my time and don't panic I'll be OK!
    sounds good :five: dont like overcram adn end up getting overly stressed through(not trying to be patronising sorry if it seems like it).

ReputationRep:
    No I'll do my best not to!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've had 10 hours of lessons. My general driving is coming together slowly now, feel confident stopping and starting in busy traffic etc. I've been doing turns in the road and reversing around a corner for the past 2 lessons. I had one almost perfect reverse around a corner, and then 2 after that I went on the curb which was disappointing. We'll be doing some more during the next lesson. My clutch control was good at least.

(Original post by hayley83)
    Hi, I've had 10 hours of lessons. My general driving is coming together slowly now, feel confident stopping and starting in busy traffic etc. I've been doing turns in the road and reversing around a corner for the past 2 lessons. I had one almost perfect reverse around a corner, and then 2 after that I went on the curb which was disappointing. We'll be doing some more during the next lesson. My clutch control was good at least.
    brill progress hayley :congrats:!

ReputationRep:
    I've just come back from my second lesson - two hours long, and my right ankle really hurts. Does anyone else find this if they drive for a while?
    Its going okay generally, but I can't believe that you guys are all driving in traffic and doing manoeuvres already, and you're only 10 or so hours ahead of me. You guys who are about to take your tests, how long have you been learning?

I'm still finding driving very scary, and I kind of panic a bit and just slam down on the break when stopping so my poor driving instructor gets thrown forwards, and I'm finding it hard to get my position on the road right, I get too far to the right or too close to parked cars. I'm just hoping that I get used to all these different pedals and start to know what to do rather than having to think about it so much.

Good luck to those taking their tests!

it will come, back in the day I was like you and I'd had about 10 hours! Now driving is second nature to me. braking -the key to it is harder and then when you're about to stop little or nopressure should be on the brake pedal. That makes a smooth stop and not harsh and bang.

****ing **** bollcoks ***** AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA H

ReputationRep:
    Whats happened hun?:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I hope so, because it is certainly hard right now. I'll try the harder then softer thing on the brake, but I'm basically emergency stopping each time, so I'll try to do it soft enough to try your technique! It's because I'm nervous and scared, which does not a good driver make.

What didn't help was my instructor answering a phone call when I was at a junction, and I was pulling out so I couldn't stop and wait so she could talk me through it, so I messed up with the clutch and she got a bit annoyed, but I needed her to tell me what I should be doing, which didn't really help me relax. Oh well, at least I didn't hit anything/cause anyone else to crash, which is something I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Whoa, whats the matter ♥♥♥?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rozaroo)
    I've just come back from my second lesson - two hours long, and my right ankle really hurts. Does anyone else find this if they drive for a while?
    Its going okay generally, but I can't believe that you guys are all driving in traffic and doing manoeuvres already, and you're only 10 or so hours ahead of me. You guys who are about to take your tests, how long have you been learning?
    If your ankle is hurting that might suggest that you are too close or too far away from the pedals, or that you're using the wrong part of your foot to press the pedals. You should be using your toes to press the accelerator, not the ball of your foot.

Check with your instructor that you're in the right position, because seat position can dramtically change your driving style. Sitting a bit further back sometimes gives you better control over the car, rather than hunched up around the steering wheel with compressed legs pushing on the pedals. Your body should be in a comfortable, relaxed position to allow your feet to move comfortably (thereby controlling the pedals nicely) and so that your arms aren't bent around to the steering wheel.

And you say "only 10hrs ahead" - those 10hrs are a lot in the world of driving, it's just like learning to ride a bike, at first it takes a long time to get used to it, but once you've grasped the basics all the rest comes a lot easier, so you are likely to pick up quite a lot in the next 10hrs

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.