The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

yeah - and don't forget your more likely to get minor faults than majors.I know on my manouvre's especially, its only if i do something horrific like mount the kerb will i get a major - and touching the kerb will be only a minor.

I'm not sure i'm going to pass, and it'll be a silly error if i don't :frown:
Reply 1201
~Kirsty~
yeah - and don't forget your more likely to get minor faults than majors.I know on my manouvre's especially, its only if i do something horrific like mount the kerb will i get a major - and touching the kerb will be only a minor.

I'm not sure i'm going to pass, and it'll be a silly error if i don't :frown:

but i doubt you'd do something like that! if speed is under control you'd notice too quickly even if you tapped the kerb!

my friend failed her test the other day! she got 8 minors(which is really good!) but 2 serious, one cus she mucked up her RRC, and once you know you've messed it up the observations go out of the widnow so. And also cus she kept not checking her mirros when changing lanes at a roundabout. Such silly things just cus of nerves I think...she's not too upset though cus it's only her first test!

Kirsty don't worry about your test, just think it'sm gonna be a normal driving lesson. It's only 30 mins! Gotta remember that. That's like going into town and then back from my house driving. Hardly a trip at all! :biggrin: lalala.
Got a 2 hour driving lesson today (and I've woken up with my shoulder killing) and my theory test this afternoon!! AAAAAAAAAAGH!
Ah you'll be fine. Theory test is easy if you've done the work. Just get your head in the highway code on the way there. I got full marks on the multiple choice, and im not one to get full marks for anything! Half of the questions are common sense. As for the hazard perception, just imagine you're on the road, look everywhere, and well ahead of you. And click straight away when you see a potential hazard.

You'll be fine!
Finally managed to change instructor.
Been thinking about it for a while now, sorted it today so hopefully can start to enjoy learning. Fingers crossed!
Reply 1205
Original post by &#9829
but i doubt you'd do something like that! if speed is under control you'd notice too quickly even if you tapped the kerb!

my friend failed her test the other day! she got 8 minors(which is really good!) but 2 serious, one cus she mucked up her RRC, and once you know you've messed it up the observations go out of the widnow so. And also cus she kept not checking her mirros when changing lanes at a roundabout. Such silly things just cus of nerves I think...she's not too upset though cus it's only her first test!

Kirsty don't worry about your test, just think it'sm gonna be a normal driving lesson. It's only 30 mins! Gotta remember that. That's like going into town and then back from my house driving. Hardly a trip at all! :biggrin: lalala.

As I've mentioned, I touched the curb in my test and didn't even get a minor for it. In fact he didn't even note it down - I think the fact that I said "Whoops" before I touched the curb and began to steer away (but not quick enough and then hit it) showed him that at least I knew what was coming, rather than hitting the curb then being like "Oh crap didn't realise I was that close!"

JUST BE CALM. You haven't told us when your test is but it's clearly very soon, you know you can do it, but don't go in thinking "I've got to pass my test" - go in thinking "I've got to drive around for a bit", don't think of it as a test, think of it as just taking your grandma for a drive - you want to make it a smooth, clean drive, and nothing that would make her think "These young'uns, tsk tsk".

And most important = ENJOY IT. Crazy, but yes, enjoy your test. I can say that I actually enjoyed my test. It was a nice day, I had a pleasant examiner, and I knew I could pass. Whilst waiting at traffic lights I tapped the steering wheel and hummed to myself, don't sit there stiffly waiting and sweating! :p:

You can do it Lil :smile:
I think you'll find on the day you'll be much more alert because of the thought you are doing your final test. My instructor says most of his drivers have never passed their mock tests and then pass first time on the real day.

I've already passed 2 mock tests, but then again, i have done hundreds...
Reply 1207
miaow.
Hi everyone!

This is such a great thread. I'm learning at the moment. I have had about 20 hours so far and my test is booked for the end of january. At the moment I have just finished my left reverse round a corner! Going on to parking next week! =] I love driving!!

Hope its going well for everyone!

xxx
Reply 1209
nancyg022
Hi everyone!

This is such a great thread. I'm learning at the moment. I have had about 20 hours so far and my test is booked for the end of january. At the moment I have just finished my left reverse round a corner! Going on to parking next week! =] I love driving!!

Hope its going well for everyone!

xxx

welcome to our humble thread friend :hugs:.
Reply 1210
I have a lesson later and I'm really scared it's going to chuck it down with rain! It's gonna be in the dark anyway and so rain will make it worse. I still get a little nervous before lessons even though I've had quite a few.

Good luck to all those with tests soon!
~Laura~
I have a lesson later and I'm really scared it's going to chuck it down with rain! It's gonna be in the dark anyway and so rain will make it worse. I still get a little nervous before lessons even though I've had quite a few.

Yeah, I'm gonna need it! I got mine next week :eek:
~Laura~

I've driven in the worst of rain ever. Best thing to do is just to slow down a bit if it rains, especially if its in the dark. I hate driving in the dark, but then again it does make you look more, so its quite good for you.
Reply 1213
I've driven in the REALLY bad rain and the dark but never together properly. Though obv in heavy rain it's always quite dull conditions...
Yeh i've got my first lesson in the dark thursday :unsure: Very nervous; how bad is it?
How was everybody else's instructor when they first drove in the dark, are they more understanding and allow for mistakes or do they expect you to just drive like you do in daylight??
Reply 1215
Katie_J87
Yeh i've got my first lesson in the dark thursday :unsure: Very nervous; how bad is it?
How was everybody else's instructor when they first drove in the dark, are they more understanding and allow for mistakes or do they expect you to just drive like you do in daylight??

dont be nervous! just be more alert and that will come naturally and just make sure your reactions are that little bit more speedy :smile: your adi should be understanding :hugs:
Reply 1216
Katie_J87

Don't worry about it, that's all I can say. Just as the person abover says, you just need to pay a bit more attention. Your'll be fine. :driver:

My instructor wasn't that worried about my driving in the dark, mainly because I drive in the dark a lot with my parents. My last 4 or 5 lessons it has been dark when my instructor picked me up, i'm glad my last lesson before my test is going to be in day light though.
Reply 1217
Hehe, I don't remember having any lessons in the dark. I think the first time I drove at night was with my dad...
You'll be fine! Nothing to be nervous about - Remember to turn your headlights on, lol, and perhaps pay a little more attention than normal.
Reply 1218
Well the lesson wasn't actually too bad. It did start raining but not too much like it was forecast! I made a couple of mistakes during the lesson but nothing major and I'm slowly building up my confidence.

coolguy456 I'm sure you will do really well!
I passed my theory! But I was so wound up about my theory that I couldn't concentrate and was scared of the gas pedal! lol So that resulted in a few stalls, and at really horrible times! But you know what, who cares! I was worried so I'm allowed to make more mistakes than usual :smile: (At least, while I'm learning...) The rain also really put me off, but I'll need to get used to it, as that's when I'll want to drive!

Quick Reply

Latest