The Learner driver progression thread Watch

Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Katie_J87)
Yeh i've got my first lesson in the dark thursday :unsure: Very nervous; how bad is it?
How was everybody else's instructor when they first drove in the dark, are they more understanding and allow for mistakes or do they expect you to just drive like you do in daylight??
I had my first dark lesson recently, and it was one of my best lessons yet! An advantage also is that its abit quieter so it proved helpful to me, like everyones said, just keep an extra eye out and Im sure you'll be fine. I was worried about my pedals, if they'd be any different in dark but they were fine aswell.

Im sure you'll be OK.

Aky786UK
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Had my 14th lesson today, general drive. It was a good lesson, stalled it once and had a gear changing problems, Im trying to get out of the habit of looking down when changing, hopefully I'll get there.

Just some areas I need some advice on:

1. We did three 3 point turns today. The first one was awful, took me about 5 steps to do it then the rest two were better. Pedal wise, is it only the clutch and brake I need to have my foot on? When I was reversing back, I had my foot on the gas and the car speeded up. So can someone just offer some tips there. :-)

I spoke to my instructor after, he said I was doing well but I needed to improve my confidence more, that also I needed to speed up after turning into junctions, especially on busier junctions. I feel Im doing that better, but on quieter roads, does it matter if you dont speed up ASAP?

Thanks for the advice, it REALLY does help me!

:-)
sauce
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Aky786UK)
Had my 14th lesson today, general drive. It was a good lesson, stalled it once and had a gear changing problems, Im trying to get out of the habit of looking down when changing, hopefully I'll get there.

Just some areas I need some advice on:

1. We did three 3 point turns today. The first one was awful, took me about 5 steps to do it then the rest two were better. Pedal wise, is it only the clutch and brake I need to have my foot on? When I was reversing back, I had my foot on the gas and the car speeded up. So can someone just offer some tips there. :-)

I spoke to my instructor after, he said I was doing well but I needed to improve my confidence more, that also I needed to speed up after turning into junctions, especially on busier junctions. I feel Im doing that better, but on quieter roads, does it matter if you dont speed up ASAP?

Thanks for the advice, it REALLY does help me!

:-)
petrol or diesel car sorry? some diesels will require no gas even on a camber, but it really depends!
depends on the camber as well, downhill only needs to balance the4 clutch then brake when it speeds up too much but when it's a hill you have to use some gas and balance the clutch carefully to control speed and then only brake when you need to stop at the other side of the road.
The trick is wehn going forward/back to steer as fast as possible with a very slow car, it works everytime!
good luck
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^Its a petrol car.
Rogue275
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It doesn't matter as such, but if it's a road with a 50/60mph speed limit then you want to get up to an appropriate speed as soon as you can. As long as you're not dawdling along at 30/40 for no reason and the examiner can see you're accelerating away and changing up gears you should be okay.
One of the things I used to work on was accelerating away faster from traffic lights and junctions, and it came pretty easily with practice
As for driving in the dark, I didn't do this until I'd passed and then I did it on my own. I didn't find it particularly more difficult, just have to keep your eyes open for people or cyclists on the road wearing black :mad:
sauce
^Its a petrol car.
yeah so disregard my first sentence about diesel and that should work! don't worry stalling in a manouvere only constitutes a minor unless it's in a really dodgy situation.
sauce
i has a queschen :wavey: when I went over this bridge today it was very narrow and this van was over his lines so I had to clip the curb to get through. I mean clip not literally mount. I had no other choice if I stopped then it would be WAY too soon after the junction so. DO you think that would warrant failure? I'm not sure...I think it would be a minor.
brokenangel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ♥♥♥)
i has a queschen :wavey: when I went over this bridge today it was very narrow and this van was over his lines so I had to clip the curb to get through. I mean clip not literally mount. I had no other choice if I stopped then it would be WAY too soon after the junction so. DO you think that would warrant failure? I'm not sure...I think it would be a minor.
should u have not waited and allowed the van to pass
sauce
(Original post by brokenangel)
should u have not waited and allowed the van to pass
as I said ti was straight after a junction so...no not really suddenly stop when theirs zero vision for other cars who would be totally unexpecting this and rear ended my beast.this van was not huge, it was just a lazy driver who was hoggin the other lane which is tight enough as it is :rolleyes:
brokenangel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ♥♥♥)
as I said ti was straight after a junction so...no not really suddenly stop when theirs zero vision for other cars who would be totally unexpecting this and rear ended my beast.this van was not huge, it was just a lazy driver who was hoggin the other lane which is tight enough as it is :rolleyes:
ahh right thought u ment it was one of them wide load things i wouldhave done the same as u in that situation and hoped he got the hint to move his arse over
sauce
ahh right thought u ment it was one of them wide load things i wouldhave done the same as u in that situation and hoped he got the hint to move his arse over
yeah and I have a thin car as well! silly people :hmpf:
how long you been learning chick?
brokenangel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ♥♥♥)
yeah and I have a thin car as well! silly people :hmpf:
how long you been learning chick?
since augest had 11hours with instructor and alot with step dad. you
sauce
since augest had 11hours with instructor and alot with step dad. you
oh right that sounds good private practice is great.
I been learning from April had about....40-50 hours with ADI and about 20-30 hours with Mum at least
brokenangel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ive just had a driving lesson and argh i dont think ill ever get roundabouts down why does it have to be so hard i just cant judge the gaps at all
~Laura~
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
brokenangel - I've just spent my last 2 lessons on roundabouts and I hate having to judge where everyone is going and whether I have time to pull out. It probably doesn't help I'm quite slow at pulling away so wait for AGES!
brokenangel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Laura~)
brokenangel - I've just spent my last 2 lessons on roundabouts and I hate having to judge where everyone is going and whether I have time to pull out. It probably doesn't help I'm quite slow at pulling away so wait for AGES!
lol ive got the floor it part down so can get out it just judging the gap argh why everyone cant just indecate i dont no
tinkerbellejess
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
lol ive got the floor it part down so can get out it just judging the gap argh why everyone cant just indecate i dont no
And why can't have people have the sense not to cut up learners....have they not realised that I might not know where my breaks are when i'm panicked!
brokenangel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tinkerbellejess)
And why can't have people have the sense not to cut up learners....have they not realised that I might not know where my breaks are when i'm panicked!
yup just scared the carp out of a little old lady that pulled out in front of me a land rover baring down on her little car. Feel evil for sayin that now.
dobbs
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
So I did my first Pass Plus lesson today - 2hrs with a new instructor who I'm going through because he teaches both of my sisters.

Anyway, not so bad, did some very fast rural driving and lots of dual carriageway stuff.

HOWEVER oh my god, how annoying can an instructor possibly be - resting his feet on the clutch and brake (dual controls) and literally doing all the clutch and brake stuff instead of me. It pissed me off to NO end

Fortunately I only have to spend another 4hrs with him and that's my Pass Plus done. It just annoys me that I've passed my test and he's treating me like I'm a completely new driver. It's awful too, I was coming along a dual carriageway and approaching a roundabout. There was a car right behind me, so I slowly start slowing down for the roundabout (am in 4th gear) and suddenly I feel the brake pedal disappear from under my foot and the car suddenly brakes really hard - because HE braked!! And this car behind me had to slam his brakes on to stop from going into the back of me, I was about 100 metres from the bloody roundabout!!!!

God I could rant quite a bit about this. Never realised how good my other instructor was!!
~Kirsty~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
thats silly! Neither of my other instructors stole the pedals from me except in real emergencies!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (123)
18.41%
No (404)
60.48%
Not really bothered about them (141)
21.11%

Watched Threads