The Learner driver progression thread Watch

kitty_koo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~cherrykisses~)
Dont let it get you down, it wasnt your fault that there was a problem with the engine. Next time will be much better
aww thanks :hugs: i know everyone has some crap lessons when they're learning to drive and they are part of what helps you learn but they still make me feel slightly down though :s: lol
sauce
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
i gotta STOP being hung up on details of the driving, I need to jsut show a competent drive and make my life as easy as possible nad make sure I keep an eye of other people on the road. I mean a three laned roundabout if I approached in the middle lane and went straight it might make my life a bit harder if someone was approaching on my left to cut through but as long as I do it safely I'll be alright. Gah three laned roundabouts going to two lanes and people who don't have indicators can be apain in the arse btu I can do this, I am ready.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have a dilema. I old instructor I used for 6 weeks was really nice, but he was Jamaican and I have hearing loss so I cannot always understand him as he as a very heavy accent. I am not sure if I should use him or find somebody else if so who?

I am buying one of these so I need to pass

Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
BTW, my sis in law has just purchased a car, she wanted power steering. What is that exactly?
Sephrenia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Had a good lesson today. Went over the importance of mirrors - we ended up talking about runaway prams and train crashes!!:rofl:] then I got to grips with steering..which invoved a fun game of seeing how many of my dogs paws were left when i went up and down big alleyway things for coach parking. We imagines the my dog was sitting at the end of each alley on the white line...if I clipped the line hen byebye paw! Once i got out of the crossing-over hands habit id got from my mum and dad it was good
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've just found an amazing driving instructor which after 5 others, makes a nice change!

I've had lessons before but always had to stop, but i'm gonna pass with this instructor now! Have had 6 lessons and she took me out onto a dual carriageway on wednesday which was great. Going at 70mph felt so scary but i loved it!

I actually look forwards to my lessons now rather than dreading them, and i feel like i could drive rather than just feeling like i should be able to but i can't.
sauce
(Original post by AT82)
I have a dilema. I old instructor I used for 6 weeks was really nice, but he was Jamaican and I have hearing loss so I cannot always understand him as he as a very heavy accent. I am not sure if I should use him or find somebody else if so who?

I am buying one of these so I need to pass

he may be nice but his teaching would be counterproductive if you can't hear properly. Go by ear and reccomendation.
Rogue275
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Aky786UK)
BTW, my sis in law has just purchased a car, she wanted power steering. What is that exactly?
I'm not sure on the technicalities of how it works so hopefully someone else can help you there, but basically it makes steering a lot easier. You don't have to turn the wheel as much so you don't have to be spinning it round in your hands really fast just to reverse round a corner or whatever.
I started learning to drive in a car with no power steering and it was awful. It would wear my arms out having to turn it ages before it would reach full lock in the three point turn manoeuvre. Then I got a car with power steering and it was amazing, I only have to turn the wheel about 2 or 3 times before it locks
Katie_J87
Report 11 years ago
So i did my first lesson in the dark It wasn't fun!
Nothing majorly went wrong though but we went into two town centres because the lesson was focusing mainly on traffic lights. Oh my good god the stress....
Does anybody else have the problem of getting in the wrong lanes with areas their not familiar with?? i think its also slightly to do with the fact my instuctor doesn't give clear instructions where to go.
Also a problem i'm still having (which is slowly getting better) is not giving enough gas after changing gears, anyone else have/had this problem i just can't seem to get the hang of it.
jenren22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Katie_J87)
So i did my first lesson in the dark It wasn't fun!
Nothing majorly went wrong though but we went into two town centres because the lesson was focusing mainly on traffic lights. Oh my good god the stress....
Does anybody else have the problem of getting in the wrong lanes with areas their not familiar with?? i think its also slightly to do with the fact my instuctor doesn't give clear instructions where to go.
Also a problem i'm still having (which is slowly getting better) is not giving enough gas after changing gears, anyone else have/had this problem i just can't seem to get the hang of it.
You mean you find once you've changed you've slowed down sort of? I do that sometimes, you just need to add more gas once your foot comes off the clutch.

Had a good lesson this morning, i passed my 3rd mock test, yay!
sauce
finally got round to getting some glasses(free on NHS so all good) today so ow I feel assured about the eye test #excited#
coolguy456
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Got my test on monday ahhhhhhhhh!! Got a lesson in 20 mins.. Emergency stop..should be fun
sauce
good old es
Katie_J87
Report 11 years ago
You mean you find once you've changed you've slowed down sort of? I do that sometimes, you just need to add more gas once your foot comes off the clutch.

Had a good lesson this morning, i passed my 3rd mock test, yay!
Yep thats what mean- i know but saying it and actually doing it is a totally different thing. Congrats on passing your 3rd mock test.
Rogue275
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Katie_J87)
Does anybody else have the problem of getting in the wrong lanes with areas their not familiar with??
All the time :p: I remember driving around Grantham in the dark not too long after passing my test and not having a clue which lane I was meant to be going in. My boyfriend would work it out then tell me too late so I didn't have time to move, then he got all stressed with me. In the end I just parked up and told him to drive. Irritatingly he actually worked it out and got where we needed to go straight away.
I'm a bit braver now and if I realise I'm in the wrong lane I'll just indicate and wait until someone lets me in the right one.
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I might be having a mock test with a different instructor next week, just to get used to having a different person in the car... scary!
MathematicalMind
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hey guys, just want to hear your thoughts on this.
Basically I've been having an hour lesson a week with my ADI for about 6 months, done all the manouveres and stuff and basically just working towards the test (not booked yet). I am now also insured on my Mum's car and I go out driving with my Dad everyday. My Mum's car has got really smooth steering and gears and I've become very confident driving in it. I was just wondering do you think I should maybe phase out lessons with my ADI and just keep practising in my Mum's car and even do the test in it? I'm not seriously considering it, it's just an idea that came into my head. Thanks for any feedback
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Personally, I would continue with your ADI until the test. I think you might pick up bad habits if you totally phase out your ADI lessons.
MathematicalMind
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
what about changing ADI? or is it too late. eventhough it's been 6 months im starting to realise how much i dont feel confident in my ADI's car and how i always make silly mistakes. i don't really look forward to lessons with him and im always happy when the lesson is over which isn't a good thing because learning to drive should be fun! when i go driving with my dad though im perfectly fine and i feel confident. i just really wanna book my test soon and pass it! as im sure all of us do
jenren22
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I dont think you should phase out your lessons, but you can do the test in your mums car if you wish. Although according to my ADI examiners tend to be tougher on you because they think you havent had proper lessons with an ADI, because they're not using your car. And also they like dual controls as well in the car.

Luckily my mums car is pretty much the same as my ADI's car but if i were you i would stick with the best teacher, your ADI, then the best car. It doesnt matter what car you're in for private practise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.64%
No (199)
72.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed