Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolguy456)
    I failed. I really thought I has passed though! Oh there is always next time!
    Sorry to hear that you failed. Although as all my friends that failed first time said, the best drivers pass second time and have more experience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenren22)
    I feel really down. I had a rubbish lesson this afternoon. Lets just say i lost my confidence, and when i lose my confidence i lose everything. I requested last week to do some really complicated situations, as these tend to be what i need more confidence in. Anyway, i dont even know quite what happened, but shortly into the lesson i just lost everything, my mind went blank, i forgot stupid things like changing gear, putting my handbrake on and was very very hesitant. My ADI had to help me a few times, it was awful. It got slightly better towards the end, but i still feel rubbish. I've gone from passing a mock test last week to being a beginner again.

Its taken me too long to learn, it really has. We only did one stupid roundabout, thats it. I feel like a beginner again. My ADI was very sympathetic and didnt even think i did rubbish at all.

I feel like cancelling my test. Im gonna go down to the same place tonight and do it again, but i just cant remember why i lost my nerve in the first place. I remember doing something wrong from confusion and i think that just gradually built up on me, and everything just slipped away, all my experience and confidence. My test is in 4 weeks.

Don't be down about it; I know what you mean. When I go into the city centre during rush hour, I get stressed to because you're putting into practise everything you know...starting/stopping quickly and smoothly, good observations, knowing which lane you need to be in etc, it's all just part of the learning curve that is driving. You can know all the theory behind driving and have done it all in isolated situations, but bringing it together in one cohesive package is where the real skill is. Stick at it

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, i do feel alot better now, id only just finished my lesson at that point so i was upset! Im going back tonight with my mum to do the same roundabout. I bet you anything i do it all perfectly...

ReputationRep:
    I find in some lessons there is a chain of events which occurs and everything goes wrong! For example, instructor tells me I did one small thing wrong or reminds me to signal/move over, then I'm so caught up thinking about or correcting that, something else goes wrong. It can happen five or six times in a row where everything goes wrong and you'd think it was the first time I'd been in a car! If needs be, pull over somewhere and get out of the car for a minute to breathe and collect yourself, and then calmly go back to it like nothing happened. I just need to remember not to let the downward slope of events happen during my test!

ReputationRep:
    Yea, as my ADI says, i just need to 'keep it together' .

ReputationRep:
    Failed twice, been learning for 2 years, 3rd text 2moro i am so nervous it is unbelievable, it is also costing me so much money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leedsunited)
    Failed twice, been learning for 2 years, 3rd text 2moro i am so nervous it is unbelievable, it is also costing me so much money.
    I learned to drive when I was 17, I failed four times and gave up, I am 22 now.

However, what you must remember, DSA employees are among the highest number that throw the most 'sickie' days, so what does that tell you?
    It proves that they have quotas to fill and have a guilty conscious.

Don't feel suicidal if they fail you; it is not your fault, punch them in the mouth, you will feel much better!

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedsNotDead)

However, what you must remember, DSA employees are among the highest number that throw the most 'sickie' days, so what does that tell you?
    It proves that they have quotas to fill and have a guilty conscious.
    I hope you're taking the piss because it doesn't prove that at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    I hope you're taking the piss because it doesn't prove that at all.
    Are you employed by the driving standards agency?
    They are horrible people, they are the driving world equivalent to police and traffic wardens.

You are naive if you believe different.
    May I also inform you.. POLICE employees, have quotas, if they arrest and thus convict enough civvies, they get promoted.
    Scum they are.

ReputationRep:
    Just want to say good luck to everyone taking their test soon! Just treat it as a normal drive (ok, easier said than done) and you should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    They are horrible people, they are the driving world equivalent to police and traffic wardens.

May I also inform you.. POLICE employees, have quotas, if they arrest and thus convict enough civvies, they get promoted.
    Scum they are.
    If you say so ...

ReputationRep:

Scum they are.
    Yea but DSA employees dont get promoted for the amount of passes they get do they?

ReputationRep:
    Had my 15th lesson today, a mixed lesson.

The positives were at the end of the lesson, my speed was emerging from junction was alot better, we drove on dual carriageaways and my highest speed was 60, Im hesitant to drive quick but I'll admit, it felt good burning some rubber, :-)

The bad points were, when on hills. We stopped at traffic lights, it was on a slight hill. So, I was ready to go, I lifted the clutch up a pound width but for some reason, got confused and didnt apply much gas, dont know why that happened. The second time we were in a similiar situation, I stalled again, think it was because my mind was thinking about the previous error. Anyone offer any tips? :-)

I still feel sometimes in situations like the above, that I panic abit. Maybe dont show it, but inside, can feel my heart pumping a tad quicker.

Thanks!

:-)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    mmm - i had a mock test with another instructor, petrol not diesel car, but she wasn't fully qualified yet, she was good, but i felt she gave me minors when i know my other instructor would have given me a major error, so despite the fact i 'passed' her test in a new car, i feel i may have failed normally... i'm not sure what to think.

(Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    mmm - i had a mock test with another instructor, petrol not diesel car, but she wasn't fully qualified yet, she was good, but i felt she gave me minors when i know my other instructor would have given me a major error, so despite the fact i 'passed' her test in a new car, i feel i may have failed normally... i'm not sure what to think.
    Kirsty :hmmm: be proud of yourself deary! you did it! you passed your mock test :bunny:. What did you think you shoulda got a major for then ?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ♥♥♥)
    Kirsty :hmmm: be proud of yourself deary! you did it! you passed your mock test :bunny:. What did you think you shoulda got a major for then ?
    well i signalled at a roundabout, not on the approach, i changed a gear down as i was turning into a road at a junction cos i forgot were 2 of them. I didn't think i was speeding up quick enough.

It didn't help that she didn't really know in her head where she was wanting to go, there was a lot of left, no right going on, so i was changing direction at the last minute.

And she was getting annoyed at all the annoying drivers who were driving all wrong.

well i signalled at a roundabout, not on the approach, i changed a gear down as i was turning into a road at a junction cos i forgot were 2 of them. I didn't think i was speeding up quick enough.

It didn't help that she didn't really know in her head where she was wanting to go, there was a lot of left, no right going on, so i was changing direction at the last minute.

And she was getting annoyed at all the annoying drivers who were driving all wrong.
    their silly little things though. my adi's been teaching for so long and in my mock I did stuff like that and I didnt even get a minoir!!!! :hugs: you did it
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    its those type of silly things which will fail my test. Now i'm not sure if the examiner will be like her, or like my usual instructor.

I'm glad i did it in a petrol car, when i usually drive a diesel!

its those type of silly things which will fail my test. Now i'm not sure if the examiner will be like her, or like my usual instructor.

I'm glad i did it in a petrol car, when i usually drive a diesel!
    as I said in my edited post, I ddi that and my very experienced ADI(like yours normally) didn't give me a minor and I was convinced they were the worst things!

YOU'RE NOT GONNA FAIL YOUR TEST :hugs:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    we'll see. I'll fail - but i'll cope with a fail. And resit in january. hehe! Its annoying cos i'm a really good driver except for little things like not speeding up to the limit quick enough (she didn't think it was a problem, my ADI does), and setting off faster (which i do in my ADI's car).

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.