Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Umm...parallel park?? Does anyone elses instructor say you have to wait until the car looks like 10 past twelve with the other car. That seems a little vague to me!? I would prefer to be given an angle. I am talking about after you have done one full left turn of the wheel and before you put full right lock on.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Mine says when your wing mirror is pointing at the other cars wheel, i can't remember the angle!

Have you tried looking at the 2pass website? It has lots of hints tips and videos which might help.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, started learning on Friday, had a one hour lesson and then had my second hour today! I went on the dual carriageway and did roundabouts, scaryyyyyy! My instructor is well funny though I love him, every time Im going too slow he's like "we don't do slow, we live dangerously" and if I veer towards the hedge which I do quite a lot because I get nervous cars from the other side are going to hit me even though I'm nowhere near them, he's just like I'd rather NOT die! But yayyy liking driving so far!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kayz_X)
    Ohh I so want to pass, it's really annoying when you see your pretty little car gathering dust in the garage (my little 03' clio billabong)

Booked my test though, 10th Jan, nervous as hell
    Lucky for some...some of us dont have a nice little car waiting for us...*sniff*.

(just my mums corsa i drive now and i plan to nick often )
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I have to share my bro's megane - which is old! And i can onyl drive it in the holidays when i'm home! I'll be buying my own car once this uni year is over! yay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitty_koo)
    good luck! :hugs: hope it goes well
    I PASSED!!

Yay!!
    Except i'm not as happy as I thought i'd be, probably coz I know I no longer have a car I can just go out and drive, have to borrow mums.

Oh well, I did it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlitteryFairy)
    Hey guys, started learning on Friday, had a one hour lesson and then had my second hour today! I went on the dual carriageway and did roundabouts, scaryyyyyy! My instructor is well funny though I love him, every time Im going too slow he's like "we don't do slow, we live dangerously" and if I veer towards the hedge which I do quite a lot because I get nervous cars from the other side are going to hit me even though I'm nowhere near them, he's just like I'd rather NOT die! But yayyy liking driving so far!
    You did dual carriageways and roundabouts on your 2nd lesson!? wtf? lol im on my 9th lesson and havnt even come close to that yet, only done basic road driving and parking. I hope my instructors not taking me for a ride (literally)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chana)
    I PASSED!!

Yay!!
    Except i'm not as happy as I thought i'd be, probably coz I know I no longer have a car I can just go out and drive, have to borrow mums.

Oh well, I did it!!
    Congrats!!!

ReputationRep:
    Had a great lesson today - did 2 lessons in the space of one! And random bits that I wouldnt normally be taught for quite a while yet! Only got one more lesson till I go home for Xmas..so then Ill be in my dads car :eek3:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ~cherrykisses~)
    You did dual carriageways and roundabouts on your 2nd lesson!? wtf? lol im on my 9th lesson and havnt even come close to that yet, only done basic road driving and parking. I hope my instructors not taking me for a ride (literally)
    Don't worry he won't be - i was well past 20 hours before i went near the dual carriageway (but to be honest there isn't one where i started my lessons), and roundabouts would have been further along once i was doing roads confidently.

Your instructor isn't taking you for a ride. I did 2 hour lessons, and i would have been around your level after 4/5 lessons.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: Except Im on my 6th lesson...I owuld be petrified to be on dual carriges at the moment! Have you had previous dirivng experience though?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I actually really enjoy the dual carriageways now, especially considering the one i go on is the non-motorway entrance to edinburgh from the south - since no motorway exists! In the beginning they are terrifying, but as your confidence builds you won't worry about them. We were on one lesson once, and it wasn't till we got to the roundabout he was like how do you fancy going on the dual carriageway, i was like 'What!?', and we just went for it. Thrown in the deep end.

ReputationRep:
    I also did pulling out from behind a parked car today :proud: This bloody idiot of a car came and parked right in front of me - who thinks that parking right in front of a learner is a good idea?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Thats not nice - I hate pulling away after parallel park for that precise reason!

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking that - Instructor going over what I would be doing on this run up the hill, car pulls in infront of me does a reversing thing, not a clue what the hell they were doing - almsot striaghtening up..but failing miserably - just ended up closer to me, and got out of the car. I was like 'Cheers mate', Ian was 'Looks like we're doing pulling out from behind a parked car today then!'
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It reminds me of a few instances on my mock with a different instructor yesterday, where she taught me road rage - she kept shouting at all the cars acting like idiots!

On my parallel park i'm going to purposely reverse back a bit further, providing no car can physically park in front of me safely i should be ok!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe - sounds like a plan
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'll probably get a fault for reversing back too far. oh dear!

ReputationRep:
    Really? Thats silly!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    yeah, you need to do it within reasonable distance of the car you parked behind or something daft.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.