Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    OMG! It was my driving instructor who crashed his car! Not a learner!

I had to drive a blue car with only 5 gears!

(Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    OMG! It was my driving instructor who crashed his car! Not a learner!

I had to drive a blue car with only 5 gears!
    :rofl: what did he do?
    what was the blue car(type?)
    awww :hugs: good to get used to others though, invaluable experience ;yes;
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It was still a skoda fabia, 1.9, but it had less horsepower, so took ages to get to 70!

Thats the 4th car i've ever driven.

He did something going round a corner at 60. It made the car 3 wheeled anyhow. (hes not letting me tell anyone on 2pass! :eek:) I was so tempted to do a ask the ADI thread - What would you do if your instructor crashed your usual car just before the test and you had to do the test in an unfamiliar car?

It was still a skoda fabia, 1.9, but it had less horsepower, so took ages to get to 70!

Thats the 4th car i've ever driven.

He did something going round a corner at 60. It made the car 3 wheeled anyhow. (hes not letting me tell anyone on 2pass! :eek:) I was so tempted to do a ask the ADI thread - What would you do if your instructor crashed your usual car just before the test and you had to do the test in an unfamiliar car?
    LOL so he knows its you on 2pass then does he haha?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    yeah, he told me in an email earlier in the week.

yeah, he told me in an email earlier in the week.
    lol hehe good times.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hence we had a discussion about how some of the instructors on there are a bit big-headed... Have you seen the topic about PDI's? hes obviously just employed one so hes all for them, but theres another instructor who is against them... They have to learn somewhere!

Hence we had a discussion about how some of the instructors on there are a bit big-headed... Have you seen the topic about PDI's? hes obviously just employed one so hes all for them, but theres another instructor who is against them... They have to learn somewhere!
    exactly it's like no companies employing graduates cus they have no experience :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Im often still in 4th when i hit 60mph, until my ADI kindly reminds me to change :p:.

Only only 5 gears for me im afraid. I've never driven 70mph...i keep thinking the national speed limit is 60mph...when its different on most dual carriageways.

you can't fail for not changing up into fifth as logn as you make progress right? well you're not putting anyone in danger/affectjng anyone else so i dont think it matters.some (older) cars dont even have fifth gear!

ReputationRep:
    No i dont think it does. I think the worst you'll get is a minor. Some people drive in 4th everywhere but its not necessarily dangerous. And like you say, older cars only had 4 gears, and i dont think they all drove slower then either (probably slower nowadays).

I do tend to change into 5th more now though, just to avoid a fault, as that one fault could fail you if you've already got over 10 faults, especially if you do it more than once. Plus it reduces fuel consumption if you drive in 5th.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I like travelling around in 4th... lalalala. Its only because i find it easier slowing down - to go 4th to 2nd anyhow. I always use 5th/6th on the dual, its just the national speed limit roads... since they are windy, and i go too fast on them.

ReputationRep:
    i can't afford to learn yet, how can people afford all this?

ReputationRep:
    I hate going from 5th the 3rd...i always have to go back to 4th first, because i end up going from 5th to 1st! I usually go round roundabouts in 3rd you see...thats if i dont stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marmitester)
    One word...parents :p: .
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    My 21st birthday present - so yes parents.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by jenren22)
    I hate going from 5th the 3rd...i always have to go back to 4th first, because i end up going from 5th to 1st! I usually go round roundabouts in 3rd you see...thats if i dont stop.
    I'm always consistent with roundabouts, always to 2nd.

(Original post by marmitester)
    I work and pay for my own car & insurance & mot & tax and my ADI lesson as well. Proud of it too!!!

I'm always consistent with roundabouts, always to 2nd.
    When it's straight:
    I go to 2nd if I'm going left or right, If I'm going straight ahead I often keep it in third of even fourth if it's large enough and straight enough!

ReputationRep:
    Parents for me too, my dad paid for everything. He's a mechanic though and was determined that all his children would be road legal as soon after they turned 17 as possible. A pride thing I think lol.
    Back to the ADI issue. My ADI actually wanted to sit in the back after I was failed on one test, where he reckoned that if he'd been in the car as well the examiner wouldn't have dared fail me over something so ridiculous. I preferred him in the back as well. I understand how people might find it even more pressure but I hated being in the car with just the examiner. My ADI has always had this unconditional faith in my driving even though I was a really slow learner and did very little to deserve it, so him sitting in the back gave me more confidence.
    Even after passing I was instantly more confident driving after he sat in the car again on a motorway lesson.
    In short, it just depends on how you think having your ADI in the car would affect you personally.

Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.