Tricky to work out my means test Watch

Spring_Ryder
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Ok, grants, loans and other such things are worked out by means tests, which in my case would be my parents income, as I'm not married.

I'm living with my boyfriend, and therefore the household owner is his mum. She gets my child benefit, but hasn't legally adopted me or anything like that. I thought I would put her income as my household income for the means tests, but I read on an NUS helpsheet that foster parents or guardians (which I guess is as near as she comes to) are 'non-assessable'.

What does this mean? Do I put my boyfriends income, or hers still, or my parents even though I don't live with them.

The thing is,. if I have to put down my parents income I don't qualify for the 25% bit on the grants or loans, but they won't pay it to me as I have had quite a rocky relationship with them.

If I put my bf's mums, I will be able to recieve the full caboodle.

What do I do? I've read a lot of stuff from NUS and other reliable sources, but they're a bit confusing and none of them answers my situation directly.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated thanks.
spark911
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd phone your LEA.
--
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you can prove that you've been financially independent of your parents for three years then you can do it on your income alone, otherwise you will need to put your parents down (depending on the legality of your boyfriends' mum's relationship to you, though if its not official it'll probably have no effect on the finance - your parents will be the ones who are assessed). As the above poster said, its probably best to talk to your LEA about it, they might be able to help.
Spring_Ryder
Rep:
?
Thansk a lot. I've been onto the hampshire website, but I can't find any contact details for an LEA. Could I maybe have help with that? Thankyou for your patience.
spark911
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Telephone: 01962876241 or 08081002484

Try that
--
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
HAMPSHIRE
Student Support
Hampshire County Council
The Castle
WINCHESTER
SO23 8UT
Student Support
Tel : 0196-284-7970
Tel : 0196-284-7980
Fax : 0196-287-7462
Email : [email protected]
Web : http://www3.hants.gov.uk/studentsupport.htm

http://www.studentsupportdirect.co.u...chema=PROTOCOL
Spring_Ryder
Rep:
?
Oh thanks a huwaj lot, I was looking for 'lea'. Cheers
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
if you're up for it - marry your boyfriend - that way only yours and his incomces are assessed regardless of where you live (in fact even if you live seperately)
Greenmile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It will go on your parent's income, unless you can prove Independent status.

It is very difficult to prove. If you have worked for 3 years then you can provide 3 years worth of P60's, but even then, that doesn't guarantee you would be granted Independent status by your LEA if any period involved you being at school or college.

If you are permanently estranged from your parent's, again it's possible that you could be awarded Independent status. However, estrangement is one of the most difficult things to prove, and involves you having had no contact with your parents for at least 1 year, and you need to prove it with letters from all parties involved including social workers etc.

Since you have not been legally adopted, and your boyfriend's mum does not have legal guardianship over you, then you can't be considered independent for that reason.

The only other way to be classed as Independent is to get married or have a baby, but I really wouldn't recommend that just to get funding.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.6%
No (737)
72.4%

Watched Threads