Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Can you change your name in UK? Watch

    • Thread Starter

    Can an international student on a tier4 visa change his or her name in the UK?
    • Very Important Poster

    The normal rules for changing names is that there are no formalities and you cna change your name to whatever you like as long as its no for fraudulent purposes.

    The normal more official methods are deed poll or swearing an oath via a notary. That would give you proof and connection to your past by making it official.

    Things I am unsure of- I cnat see how it makes any difference you are an international student although different law might appl;y when you return to your home country.

    Changing your name has practial implications in respect of id docs and in your case your visa. You should chek with the authoryies there isnt a ban or at least you should update them with your change of name. No idea if they would need to resissue the visa in your new name.

    Other things like bank and uni are more adminsitrative.

    Yes, you can do.
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.