?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Well do they?
recneps
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not unless they ask (which they shouldnt) and you tell them.

UCAS dont reveal choices to them.
Master Polhem
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Ahh very good indeed, thanks for reply. I heard though that they get to know your first and second choice?
recneps
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They will know whether you've put them as firm or as insuranec, and if its insurance they MIGHT get told who your firm is. But when u put 6 down on UCAS, thats in no particular order, and none of them get told to your unis.
Paeony
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They used to - I first applied for uni back in 1997 and it was when the UCAS forms changed so that you put your choices in the order of the UCAS codes rather than in order of preference. There was a rumour that before that you had no chance at Oxbridge if you didn't put them first, although I don't know how true that was. It's all changed now though, the forms are copied so that each uni only sees it's own name on the form, all of the others are blanked out, apparently.
recneps
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The forms now are submitted by computer. Dont know if they are emailed out to unis or posted still, but each uni now just gets one with its own name.
Paeony
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was just going to edit to mention that lol - I applied (three years ago) by paper form and I forgot it's all gone computerised now. I'd imagine that makes it even easier for UCAS to ensure that each uni only sees itself.
bluenoxid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Master Polhem)
Ahh very good indeed, thanks for reply. I heard though that they get to know your first and second choice?
I believe after the application cycle finishes, they get to see the Firm and Insurance choices of all the students. I guess they use this for statistical and comparitive purposes.
mtbab
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
the unis see if ou apply to the same uni for more than one degree, so if you are stick between two subjects and applying for polar opps or something unrelated (eg Law and CHemistry at Manchester) the law school will see you also applied for Chem at Manchester, so be wary of that.

if you go to interview the unis are meant to be allowed to ask you where else you applied which i didn't know until after my last interview, when i'd happily told the unis where else i had applied lol when they asked me.

its not just your FIrm and INsurance who get to see, once youve replied all of your unis have the chance to see where else you applied, what youve put as your firm and the offers given, of course later in the year they wont have time to look at everyones apps so they wont careif you declined them.
recneps
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
mtbab - you mean "aren't" allowed to ask i presume?
mtbab
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by recneps)
mtbab - you mean "aren't" allowed to ask i presume?
haah yes sorry, bit distracted also watching tv and eating dinner, multitasker me lol!
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No. Unis knew your choices in the past, but this was changed in case there was any prejudice, ie Durham/Bristol rejecting you because you'd also applied to Oxbridge. Now unis only know where else you applied once you've had all your replies and made your choices, ie chosen your firm and insurance.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (140)
18.4%
No (461)
60.58%
Not really bothered about them (160)
21.02%

Watched Threads