Turn on thread page Beta

Let Me Quit School for Biz watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm 19, and recently got funding for a video game company I co-founded.
    This sounds childish because I'm an adult, but my parents will freak out from me not continuing college.
    It can go back to school, however, I make it clear that I really don't have the intent to.
    Heck, running a biz is much hard than college and by conventional definition, s less "fun" so if I were lazy I'd pick college. Also, I love learning: I read over 300 pages of business books a day, and I have a crystal clear vision of what I want to do in the next years to come; and that does not require a piece of paper called the degree. I've already learned all the skills I need to get a good business started, I've sat through upper year classes in college by sneaking in.
    I'm not sure how to convince anyone but I certainly think I did the right thing. I've thought over this matter for months, and I really feel in my gut that I've done the correct thing.
    I don't want to wait another 3 years, I've learned nothing applicable in college (and I've done research on upper year classes) and I hated every moment of it.
    This isn't just something I dreamed up recently, I've always been working hard. nothing groundbreaking, but including:
    I started my first real business at 16 years old selling collectible cards online and later went to start a inspirational magazine for young budding entrepreneurs. I was the youngest magazine owner in my town and it grew to about 7 columnists. Also started another business that grew to 10 people.

ReputationRep:
    If you feel that the business has a future and will work, go for it. Theres no point wasting years of your life and a lot of money on a degree that you wont ever need.

The only risk is if the business fails then you'll have no business and no degree - but i guess then you could go to uni as a mature student.

Your parents should be proud of you if you've made a success of the business. Not everyone needs/wants a degree.

ReputationRep:
    All your parents want is for you to make something of yourself, so if you think your business will be a success, that's great. Uni's not for everyone and there are obviously some great examples of famous businessmen who didn't go to uni but are still doing far better in life than lots of people who did. If you already know what you want to do and you're already well on your way to achieving it, what's the point of spending years doing a degree and getting into lots of debt for something you don't need or want? And as recneps said, there'd be nothing stopping you from going to uni and getting a degree later on if you wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    All your parents want is for you to make something of yourself, so if you think your business will be a success, that's great. Uni's not for everyone and there are obviously some great examples of famous businessmen who didn't go to uni but are still doing far better in life than lots of people who did. If you already know what you want to do and you're already well on your way to achieving it, what's the point of spending years doing a degree and getting into lots of debt for something you don't need or want? And as recneps said, there'd be nothing stopping you from going to uni and getting a degree later on if you wanted to.
    Good examples iirc are Alan Sugar and Richard Branson (correct me if i'm wrong)

ReputationRep:
    Im no expert.

From what i understand commercial game dev isnt a small job, your going to have to hire a a lot of people. designers,programmers(general,ai ,graphics,networking) ,sound,graphics artists(3d) and concept, pr etc.

Which will require seriouse funding.
    and ive read the success rate is very low.

Then again if your developing 'indie games' it might be possible to do it alongside college.

What kind of games will you be developing ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by recneps)
    Good examples iirc are Alan Sugar and Richard Branson (correct me if i'm wrong)
    Yep, they're the most famous examples.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.