Hitler comparisons make you look ignorant

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Not everything can be compared to the Nazis and bringing up Hitler does not make you a history scholar. I've noticed this start to happen with Trump now, not only is he compared to Hitler, he's replaced him for spurious comparisons.

There should be a law where you are prohibited to have an opinion on important topics when you do this.

http://thesatedire.com/news/world-ne...isons-forever/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien96)
    I've noticed this start to happen with Trump now
    Start to happen ? It's been a year now..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crijjkal)
    Start to happen ? It's been a year now..
    The comparisons yes but I've noticed he is the thing being compared to with increasing frequency. It's not that he isn't worthy of criticism, he's a scary bufoon, but we can surely do better.

ReputationRep:
    Not everything can be compared to the Nazis and bringing up Hitler does not make you a history scholar. I've noticed this start to happen with Trump now, not only is he compared to Hitler, he's replaced him for spurious comparisons.

There should be a law where you are prohibited to have an opinion on important topics when you do this.

Don't tell me what analogies I can draw, or support laws banning freedom of expression.

That's the sort of thing Hitler would have done.

ReputationRep:
    Godwin's law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Don't tell me what analogies I can draw, or support laws banning freedom of expression.

That's the sort of thing Hitler would have done.
    Don't tell me what I can't tell you, that's just like Trump.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIr0nDuke)
    Godwin's law.
    Exactly. I'm promoting Damien's law.

ReputationRep:

Mr T reminds me more of Reichsmarshall Göring

ReputationRep:
    Carbs are literally hitler

ReputationRep:
    Trump's not Hitler but he's clearly an ill-informed opportunistic *******. I do not think he believes the nonsense he spouts because he clearly believes in nothing but self-promotion and self-enrichment. He knows American prejudices, he plays them well merely to advance his own career. He's the ultimate power-hungry amoral *******.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny because Hillary's policies align with Hitler's far more than do Trump's. Not that comparing anyone with Hitler is remotely useful

ReputationRep:
    I have never compared Trump to Hitler, but some of the same Trump supporters who are against this have compared Muslims to Nazis.

So they are hypocrites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Mr T reminds me more of Reichsmarshall Göring
    That's better, some lateral thinking in a spurious comparison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    Trump's not Hitler but he's clearly an ill-informed opportunistic *******. I do not think he believes the nonsense he spouts because he clearly believes in nothing but self-promotion and self-enrichment. He knows American prejudices, he plays them well merely to advance his own career. He's the ultimate power-hungry amoral *******.
    Not on topic but I agree entirely. I would add orange and thin skinned, nauseatingly smug and unworthy of a platform, let alone power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotalerReinfall)
    It's funny because Hillary's policies align with Hitler's far more than do Trump's. Not that comparing anyone with Hitler is remotely useful
    Exactly and I'm refusing to follow you down that particualr rabbit hole on this thread

ReputationRep:
    Most of the time Hitler comparisons do make you look ignorant, but you have to admit that Trump is a charismatic right-wing ideologue who blames many of the nation's problems on certain minority groups and claims to be able to make the country great again by taking action against those groups - just as Hitler was and did. They do genuinely have things in common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    I have never compared Trump to Hitler, but some of the same Trump supporters who are against this have compared Muslims to Nazis.

So they are hypocrites.
    Yeah it's an equal opportunity idiocy and the sign of a feeble mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Most of the time Hitler comparisons do make you look ignorant, but you have to admit that Trump is a charismatic right-wing ideologue who blames many of the nation's problems on certain minority groups and claims to be able to make the country great again by taking action against those groups - just as Hitler was and did. They do genuinely have things in common.
    I would argue with charismatic in the same way Corbyn isn't inspiring. They are just figureheads for the like minded to dance around.

Hitler also believed in full employment, hated the excesses of Capitalism and was a Vegetarian. Such comparisons are always selective and rarely even accurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Yes, he's the modern form of fascism. It's similar to Berlusconi in Italy, Farage in the UK, Wilders in the Netherlands, Le Pen in France or the AFD in Germany - they are all basically blaming migrant groups for the economic crash and winning reactionary votes, plus the votes of the part of the working class for whom social democracy has visibly failed.

The scale of the effects of the financial crash of 2008 on the western economies has been huge and it is the stagnating incomes, high unemployment and limited opportunities that are scaring voters into supporting these apparent clowns.

Behind the jovial pretences of these hard right people lies a menacing future - they will base our societies on hate, not progress and on blame and victimisation, not rational evaluation of what can be done to bring us out of the economic malaise we are in.

It isn't exactly the same as the 1930s, but there are a lot of similarities.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine comparing something or someone to the Nazis or Hitler, when the comparison is relevant and you know about the subject.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.