Guys, I've messed up.... :(

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, hoping you lot can shed some light on my sad circumstances!!

So... I completely missed my A-Level prediction of AAA and got BBB. I'm 1 mark off Chem and 2 marks off Bio so it was close, but lets not talk about C3&C4 :/ I redid my UKCAT and got 697 which I'm not happy with (got 725 last year) but figure maybe I'm just average this year!!

I was planning on applying with these to a foundation course like UEA, etc but I've now discovered that lots of them seem to be means tested somehow. I went to highly disadvantaged state school from Y7-Y12 (2A*, 8A, 2B GCSE and top in school (for GCSE &AS) and AAACC at AS - resat AS Chem modules so AS is actually AAAAC now). I then moved to my local grammer school for Y13 because I would never have achieved AAA at my state school: I had no bio teacher for 3/4 of Y12 so self taught&had a tutor, had half the required chemistry tuition due to long term illness and completely self-taught stats as my teacher was worse than useless. The worry and stress of Y12 was ridiculous due to less than half of my teachers being present so I decided that I'd be better off moving to a school with excellent, reliable teaching and lots of experience of applying to high-flying medical courses (no-one from my state school had applied/got into medical school in living memory, perhaps ever!).

So, I am struggling a bit to know what to do I was all set and happy to apply for a Medicine Foundation course but when I've just gone back to plug the details into UCAS, I've suddenly seen some of the criteria...yes I live in a disadvantaged area and went to a highly disadvantaged school but my Mum's a vet and we've never been on benefits, etc or had free school meals.
    I don't really want to resit anything (and thought I would struggle due to having to have had extenuating circumstances, etc) but I am prepared to do so if this is the only way. My Mum is somewhat keen for resits as she thinks I'd qualify for extenuating/disadvantaging circumstances - due to having no teaching,having to self tutor, moving schools mid sixth form and having to settle/fit in with new teachers, make new friends, etc etc.

Any bright sparks with some advice or inspiration? All gladly accepted, I'm just so cross at myself for ending up in this dilemma...knew I'd messed up maths but thought it'd be AAB not BBB!! Thank you all :flower2: <3

ReputationRep:
    Firstly get those 2 remarked.

It sounds like you will need to contact these courses to confirm your eligibility or otherwise.

Generally resitting modules such that your a-levels take more than 2 years is a big no. Again, if you are gong down that route, you might have to contact unis to see if your circumstances would change things.

ReputationRep:
    As your Mum did a competitive course herself could she not have helped you/ arranged a tutor? When my dd chose sciences she knew she was on her own as I only just scraped O levels in them but if she had needed help with other subjects i could have helped her. I'm not sure your extenuating circumstances will hold water but if you dont try you wont know. Just to be clear, were you at the grammar when you got your 3 Bs?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, just read you did have a tutor!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebally)
    Hi all, hoping you lot can shed some light on my sad circumstances!!

So... I completely missed my A-Level prediction of AAA and got BBB. I'm 1 mark off Chem and 2 marks off Bio so it was close, but lets not talk about C3&C4 :/ I redid my UKCAT and got 697 which I'm not happy with (got 725 last year) but figure maybe I'm just average this year!!

I was planning on applying with these to a foundation course like UEA, etc but I've now discovered that lots of them seem to be means tested somehow. I went to highly disadvantaged state school from Y7-Y12 (2A*, 8A, 2B GCSE and top in school (for GCSE &AS) and AAACC at AS - resat AS Chem modules so AS is actually AAAAC now). I then moved to my local grammer school for Y13 because I would never have achieved AAA at my state school: I had no bio teacher for 3/4 of Y12 so self taught&had a tutor, had half the required chemistry tuition due to long term illness and completely self-taught stats as my teacher was worse than useless. The worry and stress of Y12 was ridiculous due to less than half of my teachers being present so I decided that I'd be better off moving to a school with excellent, reliable teaching and lots of experience of applying to high-flying medical courses (no-one from my state school had applied/got into medical school in living memory, perhaps ever!).

So, I am struggling a bit to know what to do I was all set and happy to apply for a Medicine Foundation course but when I've just gone back to plug the details into UCAS, I've suddenly seen some of the criteria...yes I live in a disadvantaged area and went to a highly disadvantaged school but my Mum's a vet and we've never been on benefits, etc or had free school meals.
    I don't really want to resit anything (and thought I would struggle due to having to have had extenuating circumstances, etc) but I am prepared to do so if this is the only way. My Mum is somewhat keen for resits as she thinks I'd qualify for extenuating/disadvantaging circumstances - due to having no teaching,having to self tutor, moving schools mid sixth form and having to settle/fit in with new teachers, make new friends, etc etc.

Any bright sparks with some advice or inspiration? All gladly accepted, I'm just so cross at myself for ending up in this dilemma...knew I'd messed up maths but thought it'd be AAB not BBB!! Thank you all :flower2: <3
    There are about 5-6 unis that do accept resits without extenuating circumstances outside of the normal 2 years if you are willing to give that a try. I'd say it's easier than going through the GEM route :P

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.