The Student Room Group

URGENT - Law at Oxford BA or another uni for Law LLB

So I'm considering applying to Oxford to study Law. I know having an Oxbridge university on future job applications can be a real boost, and the connections you make there are second to none, HOWEVER, I am aware that Oxford only offers a BA in Law, not a LLB. Would this hinder my ability to become a barrister? Should I apply for the BA at Oxford, or should I look elsewhere to a Russell and gain the LLB?
Reply 1
Original post by Harvey'sLaw
So I'm considering applying to Oxford to study Law. I know having an Oxbridge university on future job applications can be a real boost, and the connections you make there are second to none, HOWEVER, I am aware that Oxford only offers a BA in Law, not a LLB. Would this hinder my ability to become a barrister? Should I apply for the BA at Oxford, or should I look elsewhere to a Russell and gain the LLB?

Nope, it doesn't hinder you at all! I, too, hope to become a barrister and am also applying to Oxford; at the law faculty open day they clarified that it is a qualifying law degree, just like any LLB and that they simply use the BA title for the sake of tradition!
Both are qualifying law degrees.

Oxford only offers BAs, even in science subjects.

Be careful with other universities though, because if they are BAs they may not be qualifying.
Oxford might be the wrong place of you are looking for connections.

Quick Reply

Latest