Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What should I so about my door?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am creating an outdoor summer room with recycled material but I'm having an issue with my door. It doesn't shut properly on its own, so at the moment my solution is that I have a stopper lock on the inside which I reach in through the window to lock and unlock in order to shut the door from the outside.

The door itself is too thin to put a standard lock in, like one you would use in a bathroom, because like I said it's recycled and so my door isn't actually a typical old door, it's from a shed.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? I basically need a way of wedging the door shut from the outside, but in a way that if you are inside you can just push it open, without having to reach through the window etc.

Any ideas would be useful guys. Let me know if you have any more questions/comments!

X

ReputationRep:
    P.s how do I correct the spelling in my title. Stupid phone...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrinceHarrys)
    That idea was not as well received as it was with me

ReputationRep:
    You need something called a "Suffolk Gate Latch"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)

This.

Or you could use magnetic door catches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    This.

Or you could use magnetic door catches.
    A magnetic door catch might not work because the door isn't flush against the frame...all part of the "character" of what we're building.

I'll have a look for those Suffolk gate latches thanks!

I'm actually doing this in Peru lol so not sure if the DIY store will have it but I'll deformation take a look, thanks!

If anyone else has any other ideas it'd be great to know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)
    A magnetic door catch might not work because the door isn't flush against the frame...all part of the "character" of what we're building.

I'll have a look for those Suffolk gate latches thanks!

I'm actually doing this in Peru lol so not sure if the DIY store will have it but I'll deformation take a look, thanks!

If anyone else has any other ideas it'd be great to know!
    Then a suffolk latch would definitely be my first choice if it's not going to be flush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)

I'm actually doing this in Peru
    Whereabouts?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.