Heels on tall girls?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'10 and have been told all my life by my family that I'm too tall to wear heels so have always worn flats. Now I'm at uni, there are plenty of girls my height who wear heels and look amazing. I want to try, but am unstable on stiletto-style heels as I haven't had the practice on small heels through my teens.

Are block-heels old-ladyish? I'm looking at these - http://www.boohoo.com/high-heels/loi.../invt/dzz84375 as they look more balance friendly than stiletto styes. Opinions please? I feel like I've missed out on the whole experimenting thing, but want to hop straight in because heels really do change how an outfit looks (think ball dresses and other formal things).

Any opinions r.e. heel styles and heels on tall girls would be much appreciated. (also maybe some tip on how the hell to walk in heels pls!)

ReputationRep:
    You should wear whatever you want. Those heels look fine. You could try wedges too

ReputationRep:
    Block heels can be really nice! Sometimes they can be 'old' looking but that really varies from shoe to shoe. I have a pair of 'dot' heels by Jeffrey Campbell and they're a block heel but definitely a youthful looking shoe.

I'd also suggest wedge heels, they can look great in summer and are pretty in right now. You can also get platform ankle boots in just about every clothes shop right now (New Look does some gorgeous ones).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zacaroniandcheese)
    I'm 5'10 and have been told all my life by my family that I'm too tall to wear heels so have always worn flats.
    my life story! I'm 5'9 and everytime I used to buy myself 4 inch heels my dad always said 'are you crazy? i don't understand why she keeps buying such ridiculously high heels, shes tall enough as it is!' ppffft men, they are so damn clueless!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'9" and a half. I've never been told by anyone that I can't or shouldn't wear heels. However, I don't wear them myself because the two or three times that I have, my feet hurt so much. They give me blisters. So, I stopped wearing them.

ReputationRep:
    Wear what you like. I'm 5'6ish and I get told the same rubbish. :indiff:

Keep in mind that thicker heels would make you appear not as tall as pencil heels would. Block heels are quite stylish imo, also they're sooo comfy.

BASICALLY JUST WEAR IT YOLO.

Oh and tips for walking in heels would be to start by wearing 2inch heels and once you're comfortable get 3inch ones. Thicker heels are easier to walk in and comfortable to thinner ones. So maybe stick to block heeled shoes and wedges are great too.

ReputationRep:

Never let anyone tell you your body is the wrong body....

ReputationRep:
    You can wear whatever you want. If short girls can wear flats, why can't tall women wear high-heels? Be confident and rock whatever fashion piece you want. Block heels are IN. In fact, I'm wearing one right at this moment. I would take a picture but my phone's dead (hence I'm lounging in front of my computer). It's how you work it sweetie. You're a beautiful woman no matter what you put on, and you shouldn't let other people tell you otherwise. Remember that.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it! I think block heels are a great way to get started too, far less painful than stiletto heels, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'10" and I love my heels! I feel like wearing heels gives me more shoe options and I love the way heels look with some shoes, like Chelsea boots with heels. I love to feel taller than everyone, so I like wearing heels, haha! It doesn't matter how tall you are - heels are cool and always an option. Also, those block heels look fine! I don't think I could wear stilettos at all. They just seem like they'd be awful to walk in anywhere, even just at a party...

ReputationRep:
    You guys are fab, thank you! I've bought some 3 inch heeled sandals which were in the sale and so pretty! I'm training myself on them in the house, so here's hoping I can strut my stuff soon!

ReputationRep:
    Block heels are actually pretty on trend now, I think they can look just as nice as stilettos if not nicer!

And plus, it's awful that your family used to tell you you're too tall for heels. My mum who's 5 ft 8 used to get the same when she was younger, and now she regrets paying any attention to that nonsense. Tall people are made for heels!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.