Have I been caught by a hand held speed gun? Help please

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! I was driving earlier today on a 30mph road doing roughly 31-32 mph and as I turned a bend there was a police officer standing there pointing a speed gun at every car that went past. I was thinking whether you would receive a NIP or would they allow the speed that I was doing and only fine others doing higher speeds?
    Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Probably fine but there's only one way to find out...

ReputationRep:
    To my knowledge (I may be wrong) there is some leeway like 10% + 2MPH so 30 would be 35 but I don't know if that extends to a speed gun. Also car speedos are generally always out by a few miles an hour over so I'm sure you was doing roughly the speed limit and most likely under the maximum for the police officer to clock you. But you will have to wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarkey500)
    To my knowledge (I may be wrong) there is some leeway like 10% + 2MPH so 30 would be 35 but I don't know if that extends to a speed gun. Also car speedos are generally always out by a few miles an hour over so I'm sure you was doing roughly the speed limit and most likely under the maximum for the police officer to clock you. But you will have to wait and see.
    That's exactly what I was thinking, guess I'll have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    Your speedo only legally has to be accurte to within ten percent, so you should be able to get up to about thirty five before getting a ticket.

However, given that your speedo could have been that inaccurate, you could actually have been doing slightly more without realising it.

The only certain way of finding out is to wait and see if you get a ticket, I'm afraid :/

ReputationRep:
    it sounds very unlikely that you will be in trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sek510i)
    Your speedo only legally has to be accurte to within ten percent, so you should be able to get up to about thirty five before getting a ticket.

However, given that your speedo could have been that inaccurate, you could actually have been doing slightly more without realising it.

The only certain way of finding out is to wait and see if you get a ticket, I'm afraid :/
    The thing is as I was driving he quickly pulled out the camera from behind his back for literally a second then put it back and when I passed him I looked in my mirror and it looked like a small white speed camera/gun. He also did this to other cars but quickly hid the camera behind his back. I have dash cam footage of what happened but you can't see that police office well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarkey500)
    To my knowledge (I may be wrong) there is some leeway like 10% + 2MPH
    Only for certain forces; it's a recommendation by the ACPO - not all forces use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebnagy22)
    The thing is as I was driving he quickly pulled out the camera from behind his back for literally a second then put it back and when I passed him I looked in my mirror and it looked like a small white speed camera/gun. He also did this to other cars but quickly hid the camera behind his back. I have dash cam footage of what happened but you can't see that police office well.
    It's entirely possible that he did catch you speeding, but there's no way of knowing for sure based on that. If he was only pointing it at you briefly, it's possible that he didn't get a lock with the radar, but if they did record you traveling over the speed limit, and it was far enough over the limit for that police force to give you a ticket, then you'll usually find out by post pretty quickly.I know it's not nice to have to wait, but only that police force can tell you for sure what's going to happen :/

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.