The Student Room Group

Driving experts Read This!

I just had a driving lesson after 2 weeks from the last one, it was my 24th lesson, but it went so bad. I nearly crashed the car and killed us. I want to know who was in the right?

I was driving up to a busy junction, and as it was an open junction I slow down and changed down to secong gear, cos I thought I was gonna carry on. As in the past, shes told me on open junctions to carry on in second gear. She told me that we were gonna turn left at this junction. So thats what I did, I slowed down to about 10mph, then checked mirrors and signalled left and when I was changing my gear I didnt notice that the car was still moving ahead and it went over the Giveway line. This doubledecker bus had to do an emergency stop and was only an inch away from hitting the car. We both were in shock, and then the bus driver swore at my instructor and said she should have used her dual pedals, and she said she was trusting me to do it myself. She was then quiet all the way back home, I feel so bad now, I know it was my fault. But should she have used her pedals, or is it really me to blame?
Awww blueangel thats not good. Well to celebrate the fact your alive you come onto UKL :biggrin: . I'm the same. I am not a good driver. My brother teaches me tho and i went into a tree :eek: and now he won't teach me anymore :frown:
Whats_The_411?
Awww blueangel thats not good. Well to celebrate the fact your alive you come onto UKL :biggrin: . I'm the same. I am not a good driver. My brother teaches me tho and i went into a tree :eek: and now he won't teach me anymore :frown:

Tree :eek:
She should have used her pedals - it's her insurance that has to pay out in the event of an accident and she's supposed to ensure you don't cause any accidents.

The bus was probably speeding though (or driving to fast considering the conditions) which would explain why the driver got all uppity about having to stop and tried immediately to force the blame onto you and your instructor - if he got reported for speeding and it contributed towards an accident he could lose his job.
BlueAngel
Tree :eek:

Yep :frown: . Don't worry tho its still standing :tongue:
Reply 5
BlueAngel
I just had a driving lesson after 2 weeks from the last one, it was my 24th lesson, but it went so bad. I nearly crashed the car and killed us. I want to know who was in the right?

I was driving up to a busy junction, and as it was an open junction I slow down and changed down to secong gear, cos I thought I was gonna carry on. As in the past, shes told me on open junctions to carry on in second gear. She told me that we were gonna turn left at this junction. So thats what I did, I slowed down to about 10mph, then checked mirrors and signalled left and when I was changing my gear I didnt notice that the car was still moving ahead and it went over the Giveway line. This doubledecker bus had to do an emergency stop and was only an inch away from hitting the car. We both were in shock, and then the bus driver swore at my instructor and said she should have used her dual pedals, and she said she was trusting me to do it myself. She was then quiet all the way back home, I feel so bad now, I know it was my fault. But should she have used her pedals, or is it really me to blame?

she should have used the pedeals ofcourse :confused:
If you came that close she should have been on the brake. Generally your driving instructor gets to know how much they can trust you before they have to step in. Try not to worry about it, she should have been watching as well and should have seen that bus.
Reply 7
If you didn't notice how far over you were, maybe the instructor didn't either.

While it was your mistake, I don't think you can be blamed for it, as it sounds like a mistake anyone could have made.
Pencil Queen
She should have used her pedals - it's her insurance that has to pay out in the event of an accident and she's supposed to ensure you don't cause any accidents.

The bus was probably speeding though (or driving to fast considering the conditions) which would explain why the driver got all uppity about having to stop and tried immediately to force the blame onto you and your instructor - if he got reported for speeding and it contributed towards an accident he could lose his job.

I dont think he was speeding, as the major road that he was on was a 30mph limit, and the one I was on was 20mph. Cos I was so slow, when I came onto the major road, it caused everyone to break suddenly, oh my god I could have caused a pile up. :eek:
Reply 9
Well I would say that what's the point in the instructor having dual pedals if she doesn't use them?!! The whole point of being a learner is that you're still learning about situations on the road and need someone else there to make sure nothing goes wrong! So I'd say the instructor was mainly to blame. And don't worry about it, things like this happen, and you can just learn from it! Don't give yourself a hard time, and don't let it put you off driving!
Whats_The_411?
Yep :frown: . Don't worry tho its still standing :tongue:

Yeah, good I was worried about that tree :tongue:
Do you think that the driving instructor may have wanted to die :rolleyes:
theoffender
Well I would say that what's the point in the instructor having dual pedals if she doesn't use them?!! The whole point of being a learner is that you're still learning about situations on the road and need someone else there to make sure nothing goes wrong! So I'd say the instructor was mainly to blame. And don't worry about it, things like this happen, and you can just learn from it! Don't give yourself a hard time, and don't let it put you off driving!

I think she should have used them, but what could she have done, she only had a break and clutch and pressing the break down I still might have gone over the giveway line.
What I should have done is I think, quickly pressed the gas down when going on that road., oops
Whats_The_411?
Do you think that the driving instructor may have wanted to die :rolleyes:

ooo dont say that, Imagine she wanted to and kill me with her :eek: :eek:
BlueAngel
ooo dont say that, Imagine she wanted to and kill me with her :eek: :eek:

Well you never know :wink:

UKL would never be the same again :tongue:
BlueAngel
I dont think he was speeding, as the major road that he was on was a 30mph limit, and the one I was on was 20mph. Cos I was so slow, when I came onto the major road, it caused everyone to break suddenly, oh my god I could have caused a pile up. :eek:

You can still be driving too fast and be below the speed limit - you're supposed to drive at a speed that allows you to safely get out of situation where someone pulls out/runs out in front of you...if he had to do an emergency stop (and you hadn't noticed him when coming up to the junction so he must have been quite a way back from it as you approached) and couldn't simply slow down to a nice controlled stop then he was going to fast.

If I noticed a learner coming up to a junction ahead of me I'd be slowing down immediately and getting ready to brake...learner drivers are hazards (this isn't a dig it's a fact - that's why L plates are a legal requirement) and you have to drive ready to deal with hazards.
Whats_The_411?
Well you never know :wink:

UKL would never be the same again :tongue:

awww thanx Whats_The_411?, Im loving u. :smile:
Pencil Queen
You can still be driving too fast and be below the speed limit - you're supposed to drive at a speed that allows you to safely get out of situation where someone pulls out/runs out in front of you...if he had to do an emergency stop (and you hadn't noticed him when coming up to the junction so he must have been quite a way back from it as you approached) and couldn't simply slow down to a nice controlled stop then he was going to fast.

If I noticed a learner coming up to a junction ahead of me I'd be slowing down immediately and getting ready to brake...learner drivers are hazards (this isn't a dig it's a fact - that's why L plates are a legal requirement) and you have to drive ready to deal with hazards.

Youre right, so I blame the bus driver :biggrin:
Thanx for your advice.

Latest

Trending

Trending