Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Need help with course pathways towards medicine Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 13 and would have liked to apply to a medicine course in September of 2017 however there is an exam, the UKMAT, which I didn't know about that must be carried out on the summer prior to applying (Summer of 2016).

Now that the registration for the UKMAT has closed I can't apply to any a100, a104 or a108 courses and was wondering if anybody knew of any course at uni that eventually could lead to a job as a doctor.

I've been looking at the UCAS website with it's search tool but can't find any specific course that could let you join a medicine course with it's qualification.

Any and all help is appreciated, thank you.

Edit - I've just looked at a course called Biomedical Science (B990) and apparently there's some sort of path there, further information on it would also be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is the only course that will lead to you becoming a doctor. There is also Medicine with a foundation year (for people who don't have the right A-level combination for Medicine A100) and graduate-entry programmes (slightly shorter courses for people who already have degrees).*

All Biomedical Science would enable you to do would be to apply for one of those graduate-entry degrees. However, there aren't that many places on those courses and they're extremely competitive, so it doesn't make a huge amount of sense to do BMS with a view to applying for GEM further down the line.

If I were you, and if I was determined to study Medicine, I'd take a gap year and reapply for the next cycle (2018 entry).*

ReputationRep:
    You could apply to Bristol as it doesn't use UKCAT. You could also apply to BMAT unis as then you could have a chance. Otherwise you would have to take a gap year and reapply

Poll
Do you enjoy your job?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.