Help: Proof that square root of 2 is irrational

Watch
This discussion is closed.
FudgeMonkey
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hello
As part of my AS Maths Summer work, i have been asked to 'Search either books or the internet to find a proof ( a clear explanation that would convince a critical reader) that the square root of 2 is an irrational number' - I really cannot find anything, i tried to make one up but they're not really solid enough.......does anyone have any ideas? Thanx in advance, Shane
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The classic one goes:

Any rational number can be expressed in the form p/q where p and q are integers and the fraction can be reduced no more.

So assume rt2 is rational

Let rt2 = p/q

2 = p^2/q^2

p^2 = 2q^2

implies that p^2 is even, implies that p is even, since an even x even is even, and odd x odd is odd for all integers.

so p is even, let p = 2m where m is also an integer (since p is even)

4m^2 = 2q^2 implies that 2m^2 = q^2, which implies that q^2 is even and so q is even.

so let q = 2n

implies that rt2 = 2m/2n, but this cancels to m/n

our original premise said that the fraction shouldn't cancel any further, but it has done, so our original premise must be wrong and rt2 must be irrational.
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
proof by contradiction my fellow mathematician!

Assume that root 2 is rational. If it is rational, it can be represetented as p/q where p and q are integers and have no common factors (Simplest ratio). So 2 = p^2/q^2. So 2q^2 = p^2

So the square of p is even, so p itself must be even (Because all odd numbers squared are odd, so p is even).

So lets say p=2r (since p is even)
then p^2 = 4r^2
so 2q^2 = 4r^2
so q^2 = 2r^2

so q^2 must also be even, so q must be even

BUT HOLD ON. That means that both p and q are even, and so p/q is not in it's simplest form (since you can divide by 2) so Root 2 can not be rational!
beauford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Alas, even easier

2p^2 = q^2. Consider factors of 2 on both sides, the LHS must have an even factor of two, whilst the right must be even. Contradiction.
FudgeMonkey
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hey thanx, you all helped me loads - i didnt have a clue! Wow, people always reply so quickly for maths - the mathematicians must be the kindest lot on the board. Thanx again, x
tomcoolinguk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The classic proof- and actually conception of the irrational number concept- is the triangle, with sides 1, 1 and hypotenuse square root 2.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by tomcoolinguk)
The classic proof- and actually conception of the irrational number concept- is the triangle, with sides 1, 1 and hypotenuse square root 2.
How does that show that rt2 is irrational?
tomcoolinguk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Right you have your right angled triangle with sides a, b and h.

a= 1
b=1

therefore by pythagoras

h2= a2+ b2
h2= 2
therefore h= sq. root 2
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How does that show that h is irrational?
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
How does that show that h is irrational?
Square root 2 = 1.4142...

When I click the Fraction button on my calculator, the calculator fails to convert the decimal number into a fraction, which it can do if the decimal number is rational.

e.g.) 4.5 ---> Click Fraction Button -----> Shows 4.5 in Fraction form.

Hence: Square root 2 is irrational.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by tomcoolinguk)
Right you have your right angled triangle with sides a, b and h.

a= 1
b=1

therefore by pythagoras

h2= a2+ b2
h2= 2
therefore h= sq. root 2
What's that got to do with the question?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Invisible)
Square root 2 = 1.4142...

When I click the Fraction button on my calculator, the calculator fails to convert the decimal number into a fraction, which it can do if the decimal number is rational.

e.g.) 4.5 ---> Click Fraction Button -----> Shows 4.5 in Fraction form.

Hence: Square root 2 is irrational.
lmao. Nice. The best kind of argument.

[random observations] I think if you get an ugly enough rational number, it won't convert it, if the period of the digits is longer than the capacity of the calculator. And also your calculator uses a rational approximation to rt2 anyway. Probably from the binomial expansions.
jpowell
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Haha, great, now we can add to Proof by Induction, Proof by Contradiction a brand new proof, "Proof by my calculator says so, nyah!".

Add to that several proofs my lecturers like such as "Proof because I say so" and "Proof by vigourous hand-waving".
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (98)
53.85%
Yes, but I want to swap them (14)
7.69%
No, but I know who I want to choose (18)
9.89%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (45)
24.73%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (7)
3.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed