Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have been stuck on these Biology Questions for 3 days! The questions are:

Give one difference between the phospholipids found in a cell-surface membrane and the phospholipids found in the skin's lipid layer (1 mark).

AND...

Explain how the arrangement of the phospholipids in the skin's lipid layer makes it more permeable than a normal phospholipid bilayer (2 marks).

Can some please explain this to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dp00)
    I have been stuck on these Biology Questions for 3 days! The questions are:

Give one difference between the phospholipids found in a cell-surface membrane and the phospholipids found in the skin's lipid layer (1 mark).

AND...

Explain how the arrangement of the phospholipids in the skin's lipid layer makes it more permeable than a normal phospholipid bilayer (2 marks).

Can some please explain this to me?
    1. The lipids in the skin are triglycerides, so the difference would be that they have no phosphate group, or they have 3 fatty acid tails instead of 2.

2. The skin's bilayer must have the hydrophilic heads pointing outwards in order for it to be more permeable.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.