The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

if you are so afriad of dying young then live your life now! take every moment for granted and do thing uve always wanted to do!!

heres a famous quote...

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!" - Mavis Leyrer age 83."
Reply 61
well blame eve for eating he god damn apple :P

Okay back to serious matters, I used to fear death all the time but whenmy friend told me that it is inevitable and nothing can prevent it, I snapped out of it and just live lie to the full each day. No regrets because it could happen any day and what you gonna do if you do die. Nothing :smile:

You probably fear the immense pain that will come beforehand because death is just as quick as an eyelash, but tortue is another thing all together.
Just don't dwell on the subject too much :smile:
Reply 62
I don't have this problem purely because as a Christian death is just the next step in life for me.
I'm constantly affraid of other people dying. Friends and family etc.
Sometimes I vividly imagine people I know dying and it can sometimes shake me up a bit. I just can't help it.
Reply 64
I had my grandad's funeral just yesterday, and couldn't stop crying, like I said earlier, it made it all seem so real, so final - then I just had this horrible thought that I'll have to go through this for other family relatives as well... ok, I have to stop viewing this thread, it's getting me all upset :frown:
Reply 65
x_muso_x
I feel exactly the same, although I don't believe in God, and I worry that there is actually nothing after death, and that's it... I went to a funeral yesterday and just made the whole thing seem so much more real, it was horrible.

Yeah funerals really bring it home. In the end we all just become dirt in the ground... :frown:
I think about death alot. It fascinates me. I dont think im particularly scared of dying, I just dont want to know about it, eg. i dont want to be terminal for 8 months and then die. I would much rather die in my sleep. I also get alot of comfort out of knowing that everyone around me is in the same boat.
interllectuallity
i'm constantly afraid that i might die at a young age . Before i've properly lived my life. It's really getting to me and things like the bridge collapsing in america , taking with it all those. people, makes me frightened.

I used to fly reguarly but last month as i was comimg back frm China i was pettrified that i might not touch down. Im scared of catching a terminal illness or being murdered or being in a car crash.

And if its not that then i'm scared of sum1 close 2 me dying , a friend, family member or a child that i haven't yet had.

Am i losing it?

Grow up you loser, don't insult people who have lost their lives in those ways. We all risk dying as soon we set foot outside the door, your no special
Reply 68
It's natural to consider your own mortality, I think most people have moments when they get gripped by the reality. One way of dealing with it I suppose (if you don't believe in some afterlife), is to think what was it like before you were alive and born. The answer is it was nothing, you weren't suffering or trapped, it was harmless nothing, you did not exist and neither did your consciousness. Therefore the next time you don't exist (after your death) it will be the same harmless nothing.

I think the main psychological problem is what happens to your consciousness, it's hard to think that there will come a time in which you can't think or exist. But it's also a harmless time. Let's not forget change and death are necessary for the renewal of life, it's a cycle. Imagine a world in which no one died. Having religious beliefs is an very good for relieving the anxiety I guess, but it's not a good reason to beleive in God.

Personally I'm not afraid to die when I'm old, but I dread dying 'before my time'. But there's no point worrying because worrying will not affect the final outcome either way. Might aswell just live for now!
Reply 69
Firstly I would like to say your not alone when it comes to fear of death (Thanatophobia or Thantophobia- Fear of death or dying) There are many people with this phobia (www.*****.com)

When it starts to affect your life, that is when it becomes a phobia. Its rational to fear death but when you cant lead a normal life because of your worrying it then becomes irrational and can be called a phobia.

If it worrys you so much its best to speak to a psychologist maybe and find out the reasons why you have this fear so bad. You can ask questions to Dr Clay Tucker Ladd who wrote the online book psychological self help http://www.psychologicalselfhelp.org/ here http://*****.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=320

Hope you find help and can live a happy life like everybody deserves:smile:
Reply 70
daggy
It's natural to have phobias, for example checking no cars are coming before you cross the road is technically a phobia - your afraid of being run over. Just your phobia of death has gotten a little out of hand.

Now with cars, people look left and right before they cross the road, that manages the phobia.

It isnt natural to have phobias. Phobias are an irrational fear.

Its common sense to check left and right before you cross the road. If you start shaking profusely, sweating and breathing rapidly before crossing the road and then refuse to cross then you could say its a phobia but by looking left and right first thats far from being a phobia. So many people use the term phobia loosely. Being afraid of the dark when you was a child was a childhood fear not a phobia but if it continued into adulthood you can call it a phobia.

Hope that clears it up anyway:smile:
I havent read the rest of the thread but OP why be afraid of dieing when it is inevitable. The only thing certain in life is that you will die, so theres no need to be afraid of it. This fear should make you value life more and life everyday to the full. I used to be scared of dieing when i first started my job mind haha.
Reply 72
I know what you mean OP. I get very scared of death sometimes, both my own and that of my family/friends. It's not so much the suffering, but the prospect of eternity that terrifies me. All I can do is try to block it out though, and usually that works, but you know sometimes when you're trying to sleep at night at the fear suddenly hits you :frown:. Pointless but difficult to get over.
interllectuallity
i'm constantly afraid that i might die at a young age . Before i've properly lived my life. It's really getting to me and things like the bridge collapsing in america , taking with it all those. people, makes me frightened.

I used to fly reguarly but last month as i was comimg back frm China i was pettrified that i might not touch down. Im scared of catching a terminal illness or being murdered or being in a car crash.

And if its not that then i'm scared of sum1 close 2 me dying , a friend, family member or a child that i haven't yet had.

Am i losing it?

It's fine to have a phobia of death...sure as hell wish I did!
But no instead I think about dying and how and when, every second of the bloody day!!! :frown:
It's like I'm obsessed with death, it's evil.
blackswan
It's fine to have a phobia of death...sure as hell wish I did!
But no instead I think about dying and how and when, every second of the bloody day!!! :frown:
It's like I'm obsessed with death, it's evil.

Don't worry :hugs:, I'm exactly the same.

Latest

Trending

Trending