The Student Room Group

Is silence really the best response to an annoying/rude person?

Instead of stooping to their level is this the mature/adult way of responding and what are the benefits? I have a very quick, smart mouth and I regret the things I say imnediately so wanna stop this bad habit once and for all.

so im working on this (im 21 and after 3yrs of adulthood realised how immature i am but better than never ey? :wink: )
No replies? Ok
I'm ignoring u
Original post by Secretnerd123
No replies? Ok

I will bite my tongue and not point out the irony of this bump with respect to the thread topic... :erm: :hide:

But seriously :tongue: sometimes blocking someone who is really bad is probably the most stress free option. And you won't do something you regret i.e lashing out at them.
Original post by SeanFM
I will bite my tongue and not point out the irony of this bump with respect to the thread topic... :erm: :hide:

But seriously :tongue: sometimes blocking someone who is really bad is probably the most stress free option.

Looooool i didnt realise 😂

And im talking about real life. I dont involve myself in petty online arguments
Reply 5
No replies? Ok

You waited for 18 minutes, take a chill pill.

To answer your question, ignoring annoying people and carrying on with your life is the best response.
Original post by UWS
You waited for 18 minutes, take a chill pill.

To answer your question, ignoring annoying people and carrying on with your life is the best response.

Thats too long :tongue:

And do you practice that all the time?
it depends on the circumstances, how they are been rude and annoying etc. I mean I am autistic so I can actually be annoying or rude sometimes without realizing it or meaning to be. However if people explain it to me then I can usually understand and make efforts to improve whilst silently holding a grudge doesn't achieve much. Where as others may just genuinely be selfish then you would need to asses whether it was worth confronting them or not.

It also depends on exactly how they are been "rude and annoying" Some people may consider things rude and annoying that others don't. Maybe you are been unreasonable here. I am not saying you are or not but without knowing the facts its hard to know.
Looooool i didnt realise 😂

And im talking about real life. I dont involve myself in petty online arguments

Me too :wink: you can block their number etc... more difficult to do when you see someone regularly anyway but you can just have a business relationship with them and nothing else, if you can't avoid it. For example, I gave one of my uni flatmates the silent treatment for 5 months :smile:
Reply 9
Thats too long :tongue:

And do you practice that all the time?

Well I've always been introverted so ignoring and blocking out the haters/annoying people just comes naturally to me :yep:
Nope. Just try be polite and do your best to keep the peace.*
Original post by SeanFM
Me too :wink: you can block their number etc... more difficult to do when you see someone regularly anyway but you can just have a business relationship with them and nothing else, if you can't avoid it. For example, I gave one of my uni flatmates the silent treatment for 5 months :smile:

How about family members
Imo it depends- sometimes silence is less draining and creates less hassle.
In other situations then I might wish to point things out to someone who was rude and annoying necause then I know I havent let them get away with it.

Depends on context and how much I can be bothered. Pick your battles.
Original post by 999tigger
Imo it depends- sometimes silence is less draining and creates less hassle.
In other situations then I might wish to point things out to someone who was rude and annoying necause then I know I havent let them get away with it.

Depends on context and how much I can be bothered. Pick your battles.

Thanks for the response

Quick Reply

Latest