Early Confirmation of Places Watch

freedo50
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hello everyone,
I'm posting here as a last resort, because I think I'm going mad! I am sure that I had received a letter saying that some universities were going to confirm acceptances the day before the a-level results come out, in an attempt to make the results morning less frantic. The problem now is that I can't find this letter and none of my friends can remember getting a similar letter, so I was just wondering if anyone on here can confirm that this is happening this year.
Thanks in advance,

Fred
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by freedo50)
Hello everyone,
I'm posting here as a last resort, because I think I'm going mad! I am sure that I had received a letter saying that some universities were going to confirm acceptances the day before the a-level results come out, in an attempt to make the results morning less frantic. The problem now is that I can't find this letter and none of my friends can remember getting a similar letter, so I was just wondering if anyone on here can confirm that this is happening this year.
Thanks in advance,

Fred
News to me - I understood that no-one was allowed to release results of any kind before Thursday 16 August. Unis get everyone's results a few days in advance so that they can check who has met their offers and who hasn't, and make decisions asap about people who haven't. What you may be thinking of is that unis try to get as many decisions as they can back to UCAS before Results Day so that Track can be updated and AS12 letters sent out to arrive on Thursday morning. So, although a uni may have confirmed a place and told UCAS this, the information cannot be released to you or anyone else until Thursday.
maucej
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's highly unlikely. If a Uni tells you before results day they are braking their contract with UCAS. I shouldn't think it's worth it.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You won't find out whether or not you've got into uni any earlier than Thursday morning, when Track should update at around 7 am and you might also get a letter from UCAS/the unis. UCAS get the results on Sunday 12th August and pass them on to the unis, so both will know whether or not you've met your offer and if you haven't, the uni can decide whether or not to take you, but they're not allowed to tell you. If they do, they break their contract with UCAS and will no longer be given results early, which would mean much more hassle for them on results day.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
You won't find out whether or not you've got into uni any earlier than Thursday morning, when Track should update at around 7 am and you might also get a letter from UCAS/the unis.
Given the current postal strikes it's unlikely that the letters UCAS (and some unis) send out on Wednesday afternoon will arrive with anyone on Results day. It's also likely that Clearing Passports will be delayed (most arrive on the Friday but it's more likely that they'll arrive on the Monday now)

UCAS get the results on Sunday 12th August and pass them on to the unis, so both will know whether or not you've met your offer and if you haven't
UCAS get the results on Friday the 10th - they match them up with applications on Friday/Saturday and then send them on to the unis on the Sunday.

UCAS can't confirm if you've met an offer or not until a university has confirmed it - even if they can see that you got ABB and your offer was BBB they aren't allowed to say anything until the uni transmits a UF status through to them - even AFTER results day has passed.
Doodahdoo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by UCAS website)
You can view decisions that have been made on your application and will be able to amend your application and/or reply to course offers from Wednesday 8 August.
... any help?
Hedies
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Does the 8th relate to Scottish students - don't they get results before the rest of the country?
Doodahdoo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think so. But I don't know, and it didn't specify.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
so if ur accepted - what will have changed? just firm to accepted or something
Lolly-88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Vazzyb)
so if ur accepted - what will have changed? just firm to accepted or something
Instead of conditional it will say unconditional.
Circa1892
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Given the current postal strikes it's unlikely that the letters UCAS (and some unis) send out on Wednesday afternoon will arrive with anyone on Results day. It's also likely that Clearing Passports will be delayed (most arrive on the Friday but it's more likely that they'll arrive on the Monday now).

The post isn't on strike in that week.
Dark and Lovely
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^ yes it is...they've extended it
Turdburger
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
*******s.
yellow96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Considering the uselessness of Royal Mail - having worked for them, I can tell you that a Hell of a lot of mail doesn't get sent at all if it's too much of a hassle - I'd be highly surprised if the exam boards or UCAS used them to ferry our results around this summer, of all times.
Lolly-88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Heartbreaker)
*******s.
LOL
Chiba_Revolution
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
People abroad have,
Kidders
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Are the PO on strike again?? Why?! Do they not realise that post was heavily distrupted due to the widespread flooding of areas and now they are just intensifying the problem by striking over such crucial times for so many young people... grrrrr!!! When is this proposed strike from - to? TBH i hardly receive that much post where i am and sometimes go days without any, so i don't always notice, but have thought we have seen a lot less mail than normal (mostly junk so not too bothered)

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...diaId=51600692
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?