What a world without God means

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    It struck me today just what a world without theism really and truly means. It means, simply, that what anyone does in life is intrinsically devoid of all purpose. Whether I die this very second, or live another 80 years, becoming the most successful person in the history of mankind, the net outcome is the same. I will forget everything I ever did; I will be unaware of having ever done anything; “I” won’t even remember having ever existed, and it will be as if I never did. Everyone who I ever saw or spoke to will also rot away into the soil, and when the universe grows cold or the sun expands, so will all humanity. No one will remember anything, because ‘we’ won’t even be capable of thought, let alone memory – everything any human ever did will be completely gone.

You might think that since you only get one shot at life you have to make the most of it, or else you’ll regret all those things you never did. But once you die, you’re not capable of regret. You will feel exactly the same regardless of what you do in life. Now you might think that even if you don’t remember, you still want to be remembered by everyone else. Surely that’s worth striving for. But again, these people will all rot away into the earth, and forget about their own existence, let alone yours. Ultimately your contribution makes no difference (this extends even to the great figures of history, when humanity dies out, their achievements do too). You may also say that life is simply what you make of it: if you want your offspring to be your purpose in life, then they are. This, however, is no more than a delusion – essentially conning yourself into thinking you have a purpose. Your offspring will rot away, and so will theirs, and so will theirs, and so on, until all humanity is gone, and it’s exactly the same as if no offspring had ever existed.That’s not a purpose, that’s utterly pointless.

Not only, then, is life purposeless if you’re unhappy or in pain (simply, why bother going on?), but equally purposeless if you’re having a great time, as, once you’re dead, you won’t ever remember that you had a great time, or even what a ‘great time’ is. Some people don’t worry about this though – they’re perfectly happy in their self-made fabrications of purpose in life. If this works for you, then fine. But I know it’s a lie, and so do you. There is only one possible escape. I can’t know for sure if there is any truth in theism, but even if there were the faintest chance, it would be worth taking a million times.

Please post your thoughts below!

ReputationRep:
    I'd post my thoughts on this topic but why should I bother? It won't really make a difference anyway.

ReputationRep:
    A world of peace, love and harmony.

ReputationRep:
    People finding other excuses to justify their actions

The world will be the same I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    I'd post my thoughts on this topic but why should I bother? It won't really make a difference anyway.
    No, objectively I suppose that's very true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defraction)
    People finding other excuses to justify their actions

The world will be the reason I guess.
    Surely God, as an overseer of all bad deeds, does more to prevent people doing bad things - even when no one is looking, God can still see you do wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)
    Surely God, as an overseer of all bad deeds, does more to prevent people doing bad things - even when no one is looking, God can still see you do wrong.
    Yeah alongside with everyone else in the world. If the belief of a divine being is eradicated, nothing will really change. Perhaps more chaos but I'm sure everything will be the same. Dw hun I know the attributes of God that is what Philosophy&Ethics taught me

ReputationRep:
    It struck me today just what a world without theism really and truly means. It means, simply, that what anyone does in life is intrinsically devoid of all purpose. Whether I die this very second, or live another 80 years, becoming the most successful person in the history of mankind, the net outcome is the same. I will forget everything I ever did; I will be unaware of having ever done anything; “I” won’t even remember having ever existed, and it will be as if I never did. Everyone who I ever saw or spoke to will also rot away into the soil, and when the universe grows cold or the sun expands, so will all humanity. No one will remember anything, because ‘we’ won’t even be capable of thought, let alone memory – everything any human ever did will be completely gone.

You might think that since you only get one shot at life you have to make the most of it, or else you’ll regret all those things you never did. But once you die, you’re not capable of regret. You will feel exactly the same regardless of what you do in life. Now you might think that even if you don’t remember, you still want to be remembered by everyone else. Surely that’s worth striving for. But again, these people will all rot away into the earth, and forget about their own existence, let alone yours. Ultimately your contribution makes no difference (this extends even to the great figures of history, when humanity dies out, their achievements do too). You may also say that life is simply what you make of it: if you want your offspring to be your purpose in life, then they are. This, however, is no more than a delusion – essentially conning yourself into thinking you have a purpose. Your offspring will rot away, and so will theirs, and so will theirs, and so on, until all humanity is gone, and it’s exactly the same as if no offspring had ever existed.That’s not a purpose, that’s utterly pointless.

Not only, then, is life purposeless if you’re unhappy or in pain (simply, why bother going on?), but equally purposeless if you’re having a great time, as, once you’re dead, you won’t ever remember that you had a great time, or even what a ‘great time’ is. Some people don’t worry about this though – they’re perfectly happy in their self-made fabrications of purpose in life. If this works for you, then fine. But I know it’s a lie, and so do you. There is only one possible escape. I can’t know for sure if there is any truth in theism, but even if there were the faintest chance, it would be worth taking a million times.

None of this constitutes an argument for gods existence.You are just saying I'd like it to be true so it is true.Just because we'd like it to be true doesnt mean it is true.Indeed its one of the ways you can tell religion is a fabrication.When you die you dont really die,you go to heaven and live forever with eveyone you have ever loved in paradise with you.Oh and all bad people will be punished forever.Real life is not like that.That is a fairytale with a nice happy ending.It is a childlike way of thinking.Sure we'd all love to believe that but that doesnt mean its true.Personally I think we are just parts of the universe becoming briefly aware of itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defraction)
    Yeah alongside with everyone else in the world. If the belief of a divine being is eradicated, nothing will really change. Perhaps more chaos but I'm sure everything will be the same. Dw hun I know the attributes of God that is what Philosophy&Ethics taught me
    But the point is that humans aren't perceiving each other all of the time. Without God, it becomes acceptable to do bad things if no one is looking - who would ever find out?

Don't be surprised if the state responds with CCTV and surveillance - replacing the role of God, but in humans' hands, not God's omnibenevolent ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    None of this constitutes an argument for gods existence.You are just saying I'd like it to be true so it is true.Just because we'd like it to be true doesnt mean it is true.Indeed its one of the ways you can tell religion is a fabrication.When you die you dont really die,you go to heaven and live forever with eveyone you have ever loved in paradise with you.Oh and all bad people will be punished forever.Real life is not like that.That is a fairytale with a nice happy ending.It is a childlike way of thinking.Sure we'd all love to believe that but that doesnt mean its true.Personally I think we are just parts of the universe becoming briefly aware of itself.
    This absolutely is not designed as a proof of God's existence. I even said that 'I can't know for sure if there is any truth in theism'!

I'm merely drawing to people's attention the fact that atheism leads to a colder, harsher, less fulfilling, more unjust, purposeless reality, and that we are offered a credible chance out of this, that we would be insane not to take.

ReputationRep:
    well...that was interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    A world of peace, love and harmony.
    I think you'll find Christianity has been, in theory, striving for those things for 2000 years:

Peace:

Hebrews 12:14: 'Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.'

Proverbs 12:20: 'Deceit is in the hearts of those who plot evil, but those who promote peace have joy.'

Love:

Mark 12:31:'The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’There is no commandment greater than these.”

'Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

Harmony:

Matthew 6:14-15: 'For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you'

Philippians 2:2 - Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, [being] of one accord, of one mind.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find Christianity has been, in theory, striving for those things for 2000 years:

Peace:

Hebrews 12:14: 'Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.'

Proverbs 12:20: 'Deceit is in the hearts of those who plot evil, but those who promote peace have joy.'

Love:

Mark 12:31:'The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’There is no commandment greater than these.”

'Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

Harmony:

Matthew 6:14-15: 'For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you'

Philippians 2:2 - Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, [being] of one accord, of one mind.

floods, apocalypse, killing of peopleschildren, sacrificing his own kid, squashing sampson, plagues i can go on and on..

ReputationRep:
    >2016
    >believing in god

When will this meme die?
    How long will it take, 100 years? 200?

ReputationRep:
    This absolutely is not designed as a proof of God's existence. I even said that 'I can't know for sure if there is any truth in theism'!

I'm merely drawing to people's attention the fact that atheism leads to a colder, harsher, less fulfilling, more unjust, purposeless reality, and that we are offered a credible chance out of this, that we would be insane not to take.
    Except that it is not a credible chance.It is lies designed to fool the weak-minded.There is not a scrap of evidence for gods existence.The only evidence is an ancient book written by an uneducated tribe in the middle east who didnt even know that the earth went around the sun.It is far better to just appreciate life for what it is instead of making stuff up.Sure one day we'll all be dust but that is why you have to enjoy life now while you still can.The chances of anyone actually existing is so improbable that we should be grateful for every breath we take.But people take life for granted.Say any of the five mass extinctions in earths history had gone differently.We wouldnt be alive to argue about this.Or maybe our grandparents married different people.Our parents wouldnt exist.It could have gone very differently.Life is like a great film or a theme park.Its fun while it lasts but it has to end sometime.That doesnt mean that there was no point in watching the film does it?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

Why does life need a purpose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Why does life need a purpose?
    It doesn't. But, when life is so hard for so many, I would consider it imperative that it does at least seem to, otherwise why should these people bother? why not going on a murder spree and end it all right now?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't. But, when life is so hard for so many, I would consider it imperative that it does at least seem to, otherwise why should these people bother? why not going on a murder spree and end it all right now?
    They are the only person that can answer that question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    Except that it is not a credible chance.It is lies designed to fool the weak-minded.There is not a scrap of evidence for gods existence.The only evidence is an ancient book written by an uneducated tribe in the middle east who didnt even know that the earth went around the sun.It is far better to just appreciate life for what it is instead of making stuff up.Sure one day we'll all be dust but that is why you have to enjoy life now while you still can.The chances of anyone actually existing is so improbable that we should be grateful for every breath we take.But people take life for granted.Say any of the five mass extinctions in earths history had gone differently.We wouldnt be alive to argue about this.Or maybe our grandparents married different people.Our parents wouldnt exist.It could have gone very differently.Life is like a great film or a theme park.Its fun while it lasts but it has to end sometime.That doesnt mean that there was no point in watching the film does it?
    Why enjoy life 'now while you still can'? The point I was making is that enjoyment now is futile since neither you nor anyone else will benefit or remember, under atheism. Please explain what objective reasons I have for trying to get enjoyment out of life if I end up the same regardless - without any recollection of joy?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.