Turn on thread page Beta

Compulsory Organ Donation? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Would/Do you want to leave your organs for donation?
    Yes, Once Passed Away
    35.42%
    Yes, Already on Donor Register
    35.42%
    No
    29.17%

ReputationRep:
    It was in the news a while back now..

Article Here...

Just wondering what your opinions about it were?

Bringing in some kind of "Presumed Consent" or Compulsory organ donation once someone has passed away?

Personally, at this moment in time, i don't think i would want my organs donating (i don't know who would want them tbh!!) but there is a slight twitch in the back of my mind that it is the right thing to do really.. as it will be helping someone who can most probably benefit from the things that i wont need again.. Not once im buried and gone!

ReputationRep:
    I would happily donate my organs if people wanted them. I think its your right too. They're only going to rot anyway.

As for forced, im not entirely sure. Its pretty harsh to cut someone up if the family doesnt want them harvested. Personally I dont have a problem with it, but I can see some people would. I think everyone should be asked about it, it should be made a bigger issue, then maybe Presumed Concent wouldnt be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good idea, but people would need to be given ample opportunity to opt out and would have to be aware of what would happen if they didn't - but then again, at what age should one be able to decide to opt out? I'm not on the register (since I want to be able to change my mind easily, although I doubt I will) but had a donor card by the age of about 12 which I picked up from my GP surgery but have since lost it and it seems they can't be ordered online, only by phone - surely little things like that should be dealt with when more donors are so desperately needed...

ReputationRep:
    Provided one can easily be excepted (ie. by filling in a form or whatever), so that one does not have to donate if one's religion is against that sort of thing (or for any other reason), I'm all in favour of this.

ReputationRep:
    I think the law should be changed so there's an assumption that a person who has passed away has given his/her consent for his/her organs to be donated, unless the individual explicitly states before death that they do not want their organs to be donated.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't personally object to anybody having any of my leftovers but I think a "presumption of consent" is taking it a bit far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I wouldn't personally object to anybody having any of my leftovers but I think a "presumption of consent" is taking it a bit far.
    Why? What rights does a corpse have?

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the donor register myself, and personally don't object to my organs being put to use when I've died, I certainly won't need them anymore.

However, there are reasons why someone would object to it, even if they just don't like the idea. The organs were theirs originally, I think people should have the right to decide what happens to their body after they've died.

I agree with above, 'presumption of consent' is going across the line a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Why does it take it "a bit far", Howard? This change in the law would save many lives.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good system because it would save many more lives - I'm already on the register. When you sign up you have to choose which organs you'd be willing to donate, so I think if this system was put in place the government would have to give the public some way of opting out of giving certain parts of the body (such as the corneas, which I can understand some people might not like the idea of donating) as well as opting out altogether. And there'd have to be a very big publicity campaign about it first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1.9.8.4.)
    Why? What rights does a corpse have?
    So presumably you won't object to grave robbing or if I indulge in a spot of necrophilia with your aunt then?

ReputationRep:
    Don't do all this AGAIN...

ReputationRep:
    Not saying this is my view, just throwing it out there...

some people I know will object because they think a line has to be drawn somewhere with medical science. the argument is that we all have to die at sometime, and if we keep putting it off, we end up with more people than the world can cope with.

(And I suppose this would lead into things like housing... less people = less houses needed and so on)

ReputationRep:
    Interesting..

I know some people i know feel abit concious that their body belongs to them and they don't really want to donate. I don't know if i'd want to donate organs whilst im still alive.. its like a big part of you being given away!

As for heart transplants, what would you do? If there was a close relative/family in need for a new heart, and you had a perfect match, would you give up your heart and in a way, die for them??

ReputationRep:
    its a great idea. If it started years ago thousands of lives could have been saved

ReputationRep:
    Why is it so outrageous? I stand behind the proposal, simply because it will save so many lives. As long as it is easy to opt out, then I don't see a problem, given that apathy among the populace is the reason for such a shortage of organs.

ReputationRep:
    How about compulsory abortion?

As I'm sure everyone will agree, that's ridiculous. Why? Because of the principle of rights over one's own body, usually expressed as "my body; my choice". How is compulsory organ donation any less a violation of that principle?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good idea - I think that your family should be able to opt you out for you too though, if you didn't get around to opting out yourself and your family knew you were planning to.

ReputationRep:
    They are not implying compulsory donation. Its presumed consent. There is a difference.

Face it, most people are fine with donating their organs, but few have time to get on the donation list, or are to lazy (myself included).

If you have a moral obligation, you opt out, if your 2lazy to bother, than you obviously don't have that strong an opinion/conviction on the subject.

Hell if my heart can help little Timmy when im dead, so be it.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.