Is Economics still an option with these predicted grades

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    My sons predicted grades are A economics B history and C maths, has he blown his chances getting in anywhere half decent to do Economics with those type of grades? I've been looking at entry requirements all over the place and can't see he's good enough ? Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    best option, if he wants to do econ really badly, is to take a gap year and get his maths grade up to at least a B and then reapply with his A2 grades, that way a decent russell group uni will accept him

ReputationRep:
    fksociety makes an excellent point. Most RG unis prefer A*/A or B in maths as stated in entry requirement. C maths would be a dealbreaker and he may get only offers from econ programmes outside top20.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks both, he's never going to be the smartest lad , he can live with not being at the top 20 / Russell Group. What would be your suggestions further down the list....without having a terrible choice on university? I'm so struggling with the grades input on courses to see where he can get. It's parents evening next week so trying to look at possibilities that we can discus.

ReputationRep:
    Some unis have a standard BBB requirement for economics and might accept a ABC: Sussex, Uni of Kent, UEA, Goldsmiths, Bradford and Conventry.
    BBC: Keele, Hull
    ABB-BBB: Swansea, Aston. With some luck, your son may squeeze in
    Sometimes admissions would require ABB, but may accept a few candidates with actual ABC/BBB. I am sure some good Scottish uni accept BBB.

Have you considered the possibility of hiring a maths tutor? The cost benefit ratio is appealing, two great papers and your son might get a B in maths. This would open more doors. But he must want it and put in serious work.

Grade inflation has gone crazy. The new A* made it worse and most unis have raised entry criteria to make their course look competitive. 10 years ago, your son would have good top 20 options with ABC. Good luck, things will work out. It is commendable that you care about his grades and application.

(Original post by Mumofson)
    Thanks both, he's never going to be the smartest lad , he can live with not being at the top 20 / Russell Group. What would be your suggestions further down the list....without having a terrible choice on university? I'm so struggling with the grades input on courses to see where he can get. It's parents evening next week so trying to look at possibilities that we can discus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcannon)
    Some unis have a standard BBB requirement for economics and might accept a ABC: Sussex, Uni of Kent, UEA, Goldsmiths, Bradford and Conventry.
    BBC: Keele, Hull
    ABB-BBB: Swansea, Aston. With some luck, your son may squeeze in
    Sometimes admissions would require ABB, but may accept a few candidates with actual ABC/BBB. I am sure some good Scottish uni accept BBB.

Have you considered the possibility of hiring a maths tutor? The cost benefit ratio is appealing, two great papers and your son might get a B in maths. This would open more doors. But he must want it and put in serious work.

Grade inflation has gone crazy. The new A* made it worse and most unis have raised entry criteria to make their course look competitive. 10 years ago, your son would have good top 20 options with ABC. Good luck, things will work out. It is commendable that you care about his grades and application.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, I've got him a private Maths tutor now, and he's prepared to work hard. Scottish University places may be a bit far from home as we are in the West Country , I'm going to look with him at your suggestions. I really have very little clue at how the whole thing works, nobody in our family has ever gone to university before. Is it a complete wasted option to apply to Cardiff in the hope of some miracle when he takes this years exams and gets a decent a maths result, or should he just put Cardiff out of his head?

ReputationRep:
    @Mumofson: I sent you a pm, please check your inbox

ReputationRep:
    I got ABC this year (AS), in Accounting, Maths and economics respectively. I am retaking 2 of the maths modules to get it to an A, I am on track for an A* in accounting and the Economics is Linear... I'm also getting a private tutor for Economics. As well as this I'm completing the EPQ in an economics based question. What is the best option for me? I ideally would love to study Economics and Finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcannon)
    @Mumofson: I sent you a pm, please check your inbox
    .bo

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.