The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

MSc Entry Requirements

Hi,
The entry requirements for an MSc in advanced chem eng at is a min of 2:1 but they expect a high 2:1/First class. I achieved 76.8 in my first year and 69.88 in my second year of chem eng at surrey which rounds to a first class overall (hopefully!!). Do they still consider first year grades despite it not counting towards my overall grade?
Also i know i meet the academic requirements but do i have a realistic chance of getting in? I know grades are just one part of the application but still.

thanks,
will really appreciate any advice
Reply 1
Typically the entry requirement was/is a first and a minimum of a 2:1 is needed to get on the course with each department setting there own criteria for each course,and its for your degree, hence you will need to get a first overall to get in. Having experience and showing a willingness in the area you which to study, placements, internships, activities outside of your course.hence having a good personal statement and 2 good references will go a long way.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Mclaren96
Hi,
The entry requirements for an MSc in advanced chem eng at is a min of 2:1 but they expect a high 2:1/First class. I achieved 76.8 in my first year and 69.88 in my second year of chem eng at surrey which rounds to a first class overall (hopefully!!). Do they still consider first year grades despite it not counting towards my overall grade?
Also i know i meet the academic requirements but do i have a realistic chance of getting in? I know grades are just one part of the application but still.

thanks,

The poster above has made a good, comprehensive post about what you need. I'll just add that Surrey will probably round you up to first class if you're really that close to a first(it happens at so many universities, including Oxford and Cambridge).
Reply 3
Original post by PetersAng
Typically the entry requirement was/is a first and a minimum of a 2:1 is needed to get on the course with each department setting there own criteria for each course,and its for your degree, hence you will need to get a first overall to get in. Having experience and showing a willingness in the area you which to study, placements, internships, activities outside of your course.hence having a good personal statement and 2 good references will go a long way.

Thanks for the reply :smile: I should be able to get 2 good references from my head of department and one of my lecturers who both lectured at imperial. i haven't been able to get any relevant work experience but in my PS i've definitely made sure it looks like I'm passionate about the subject. thanks again for the advice :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
The poster above has made a good, comprehensive post about what you need. I'll just add that Surrey will probably round you up to first class if you're really that close to a first(it happens at so many universities, including Oxford and Cambridge).

Thanks for the reply :smile: I've confirmed it rounds to 70 so i've met imperials min requirement just!
Reply 5
Thanks for the reply :smile: I should be able to get 2 good references from my head of department and one of my lectures who both lectured at imperial. i haven't been able to get any relevant work experience but in my PS i've definitely made sure it looks like I'm passionate about the subject. thanks again for the advice :smile:

That should be good then! i too went/ just graduated from Surrey and my lectures set up the course at Imperial so it looks to get a reference from them.
Reply 6
Hi,

thanks,

No they don't consider the first year at all. Plus the year year work and intensity really steps up a notch, so be prepared to put the work in!

JR
Reply 7
Original post by john2054
No they don't consider the first year at all. Plus the year year work and intensity really steps up a notch, so be prepared to put the work in!

JR

Hey, :smile:
i phoned their admissions and they said they only consider performance at uni. They don't even look at gcse's or a level's. Even though first year doesn't count, seems quite weird they don't consider it
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Hey, :smile:
i phoned their admissions and they said they only consider performance at uni. They don't even look at gcse's or a level's. Even though first year doesn't count, seems quite weird they don't consider it

Thanks Mclaren, i think ignoring the first year is standard practice. Also don't worry about getting a first. As long as you finish with a 'good' degree, a two one or above, and get a good couple of references and an excellent personal statement, that should get you a place. Worry about your final year now okay? thanks.
Reply 9
Original post by john2054
Thanks Mclaren, i think ignoring the first year is standard practice. Also don't worry about getting a first. As long as you finish with a 'good' degree, a two one or above, and get a good couple of references and an excellent personal statement, that should get you a place. Worry about your final year now okay? thanks.

Haha thanks!
I recently completed my degree, and it has been three months before i have been able to get my first possible job entrys, and even these are for voluntary work, but still it's better than nothing hey. I am hoping to have my first interview on tuesday. If i get up in time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending