Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, last night I was cooking a burger after a night out and when I opened the oven, loads of smoke started pouring out so I covered the heat alarm with a sock while I cleared the smoke and some of the security team noticed and entered my flat. I'm just wondering what the mot likely course of action is going to be. It was only covered for around 5 mins and I think I have a fairly legitimate reason (or at least as legitimate as it can be). thanks

ReputationRep:
    Nothing will happen, you accidentally burned something.

"Sorry, it won't happen again."

Sorted.
    • Very Important Poster

Probably nothing. Why did the security team visit? If they think it was there for longer than the immediate burned food, they might repor it and you would be fined. If you explained to them during the visit, then likely nothing will happen. Read your accommodation agreememnt to see what the fine tariffs are for covering a smoke alarm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Probably nothing. Why did the security team visit? If they think it was there for longer than the immediate burned food, they might repor it and you would be fined. If you explained to them during the visit, then likely nothing will happen. Read your accommodation agreememnt to see what the fine tariffs are for covering a smoke alarm.
    my flat is on the ground floor and they were doing a patrol and noticed it through the window apparently. pretty unlucky considering it was only up there for around 5 mins. they seemed pretty chill and the kitchen was fairly smokey when they came in so that might help

ReputationRep:
    Next time just buy a kebab on the way home. Yes, you'll have to clear it up the next morning but there's no faffing around with fire and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    The smoke will have come from hot fat spitting onto the heating element in the grill, - so next time,
    -cook on a lower heat
    -or increase the distance between the grill and the grill pan
    - or clean the grill pan if it's full of fat
    - or buy burgers with less fat in them.

All you had to do was waft a tea towel around underneath the smoke alarm, and ventilate the room. Because there'll now be fat that has spattered onto the heating grill, it'll probably do the same thing whenever the grill is switched on again.

Sounds like you'll get a warning at worst.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  grill dirty.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  18.3 KB

They can have some pretty stupid policies about interfering with their fire safety equipment so best not to get caught covering it up - try wafting air at it it instead as others have suggested.

ReputationRep:
    If they said nothing and did nothing, most likely nothing will happen. Security are normally a lot safer than people think

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.