Turn on thread page Beta

Hitch hiking! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone out there besides myself still do it?!

Where have you been on your adventures?

Any amazing (or horror) stories to share?

Whats furthest you've been from home?

Whats the longest hitch you've done time wise?

ReputationRep:
    Never done it. Don't think I ever will. I've seen too many horror movies :p:

ReputationRep:
    Someone on this forum (Carl) hitchhiked to Morocco - there is a thread on it somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    david gilmour and syd barrett from Pink Floyd went hitchiking through Europe in the 60s and they ended up malnourished and extremely exhausted and abandoned their trip.

that kind of put me off lol

ReputationRep:
    im quite intrigued about hitch hiking

if im a driver
    why pick them up? you could get carjacked, killed, etc

if im a hitcher
    what if i get raped? robbed? etc

and how do hitchers get picked up? arent drivers too scared?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    im quite intrigued about hitch hiking

if im a driver
    why pick them up? you could get carjacked, killed, etc

if im a hitcher
    what if i get raped? robbed? etc

and how do hitchers get picked up? aren't drivers too scared?
    Drivers tend to pick people up because they want the company, alot of truck drivers and sales reps for example do silly amounts of miles per week so it's nice to yack to someone new. Sometimes they pick up hitchers purely because they feel sorry for them! More often than not however, they where hitchers themselves and it's good to return the 'road karma'!

I always put my rucksack in clear view and smile to show i'm a traveller and not going to kill you. Alot of people have stopped for me and said they dont usually stop but that i looked friendly. Presentation is everything for a hitcher!

As for being a hitcher, the only dangers come from abusive chavvy types giving you the finger. I've had over 40 rides and done around 700 miles, never had a problem with drivers. One even brought me lunch:p:

Yes it pays to be aware and you have to size up a driver in a second but if your street wise you can hitch.

Rant over:p:

ReputationRep:
    Id never do it, and I wouldnt ever pick a hitch hiker up either.

I remember once when I was on a driving lesson years ago, my instructor saw someone hitch hiking on the way back home and he made me stop to pick him up, even though I was still on my lesson!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to do it My nan and granddad used to hitch hike when they were young. Sounds like fun.

ReputationRep:
    I havent done it, and I very highly doubt that I ever will.

Id never pick someone up either.

Too many weirdos out there.

ReputationRep:
    I do love the choice of icon you've used with this thread OP :yy:

ReputationRep:
    i did the uni charity hitch to morocco this easter. never hitched before so had same concerns as anyone who's watched horror films but was pleasantly surprised!

it only took me and two of my mates 5 days to get all the way from newcastle to tangiers. we thought we could use lorries the whole way cus they drive alone for long periods so assumed they'd be well up for picking up some random uni kids. unfort cus there was 3 of us none picked us up cus there was simply no room to fit us. that meant we had to car it all the way down - and was surprisngly easy! our 'target hitch' quickly became men driving decent cars (mercs, 4x4's etc) and they were defo the easiest to convince us into giving us lifts.

was so much fun and we're gonna do the same again next year - thoroughly recomend it as a road trip with mates, and we made loadsa cash for charity at the same time!!

ReputationRep:
    oh wow, i am plesently suprised that hitching has worked
    i might actually have to try it sometime

ReputationRep:
    After a night camping in the middle of nowhere, me and some friends decided to walk to the nearest bus stop, which was apparently 5 mins away. however we were walking in the opposite direction we were told (baring in mind we were extremely hung-over and de hydrated this wasn’t good). walked for a few miles trying to hitch hike; got some bloody funny responses from people. But got one lift from a woman who said she was a teacher (so we trusted her) she gave us a lift to the nearest bus stop about 10 miles away, we waited for a bus, got on it and found the rest of our friends, who decided not to walk with us! What a futile journey!

ReputationRep:
    i'd love to do it, but am too scared by all the stories you hear about people getting raped/murdered etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billyboy)
    i did the uni charity hitch to morocco this easter. never hitched before so had same concerns as anyone who's watched horror films but was pleasantly surprised!

it only took me and two of my mates 5 days to get all the way from newcastle to tangiers. we thought we could use lorries the whole way cus they drive alone for long periods so assumed they'd be well up for picking up some random uni kids. unfort cus there was 3 of us none picked us up cus there was simply no room to fit us. that meant we had to car it all the way down - and was surprisngly easy! our 'target hitch' quickly became men driving decent cars (mercs, 4x4's etc) and they were defo the easiest to convince us into giving us lifts.

was so much fun and we're gonna do the same again next year - thoroughly recomend it as a road trip with mates, and we made loadsa cash for charity at the same time!!
    Sounds Fantastic!!!!:cool:
    I'm dead impressed! Your more of a pro than me!
    I've been from Peterborough to Newcastle to Whitley Bay and back to Peterborough over 2 days but nothing as far as your epic voyage!

How much did you raise for charity if you don't mind my asking...?

ReputationRep:
    lol no i dont mind u asking - the three of us in our group raised over a grand. everyone who does the hitch raises a minimum of £300. this year i think about 750 students did the hitch (altho some would have hitched to prague instead of morocco)

Have a look on http://www.lcd.org.uk/events/hitch/ for more info

you should get involved next year!!

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely do it.
    ;yes;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by space_aura)
    david gilmour and syd barrett from Pink Floyd went hitchiking through Europe in the 60s and they ended up malnourished and extremely exhausted and abandoned their trip.
    They should probably have tried sleeping and eating occasionally.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds exciting, but I always assumed British drivers were too reserved to pick up hitch hikers. I've only seen maybe two in my life at the side of the road, only one when I was driving myself. Felt a bit guilty for not stopping considering we were probably headed to the same place. I'd have gone back, but it wasn't really an option.

ReputationRep:
    I've always liked the idea of it, but in reality I'd be scared of encountering a psycho

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.