The Student Room Group

Student Finance Problem

Hey guys,I have just received a statement of my student finance for this academic year 2016/2017 based on the fact, that I am studying in London and living away from parents, my statement says that I have qualified for £8,200 maintenance loan, but given the fact that my household income is £22,000 and I am studying in London and living away from home, I am pretty sure I should be eligible for me. I have used the student finance calculator yesterday and it showed me that I am eligible for way more- £10,700 maintenance loan and I have also checked with the gov.co.uk website regarding the house hold income threshold and I have realised that they got the wrong amount. I have contacted them earlier today and the advisors kept insisting that the maximum I could claim is £8,200 for everyone studying in London and living away from parents on £25,000 below household. However, the websites tell me otherwise and I really don't know what to do... Any advice? How much should I be entitled to?
Original post by mbozhkova93
Hey guys,I have just received a statement of my student finance for this academic year 2016/2017 based on the fact, that I am studying in London and living away from parents, my statement says that I have qualified for £8,200 maintenance loan, but given the fact that my household income is £22,000 and I am studying in London and living away from home, I am pretty sure I should be eligible for me. I have used the student finance calculator yesterday and it showed me that I am eligible for way more- £10,700 maintenance loan and I have also checked with the gov.co.uk website regarding the house hold income threshold and I have realised that they got the wrong amount. I have contacted them earlier today and the advisors kept insisting that the maximum I could claim is £8,200 for everyone studying in London and living away from parents on £25,000 below household. However, the websites tell me otherwise and I really don't know what to do... Any advice? How much should I be entitled to?

The advisors I imagine know better, I wouldn't argue. See how it goes and if you need more money and have a strong case why I'm sure they'll be able to give you more. I really don't know much about it but I'm going to uni next year and might apply for finance also. Also I imagine those websites tell you the max amount you could earn probably not a guarantee you'll get that much. Also I would advise if you haven't already get a part time job, I imagine accommodation and living expenses in London is significantly dearer so extra money would make it more comfortable for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by mbozhkova93

Which uni do you attend and which campus? There are some where you may be on the margin of what is considered inside/outside London. You're correct that £8200 is the maximum for outside London with that household income, not inside.

You could also check with your uni's Finance Department, who should be able to tell you what your campus is classed as for other students.*
Original post by RossB1702
The advisors I imagine know better, I wouldn't argue. See how it goes and if you need more money and have a strong case why I'm sure they'll be able to give you more. I really don't know much about it but I'm going to uni next year and might apply for finance also. Also I imagine those websites tell you the max amount you could earn probably not a guarantee you'll get that much. Also I would advise if you haven't already get a part time job, I imagine accommodation and living expenses in London is significantly dearer so extra money would make it more comfortable for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Afraid you are being so naive assuming student finance always get things right.
Original post by jelly1000
Afraid you are being so naive assuming student finance always get things right.

Possibly, I even said I didn't know much about it in my post. I just think that it is their job so they should be getting it right, no ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending