Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Is a bike necessary at Oxford?

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    My son starts at Worcester College next month, to read Physics. Does he need to take his bike? I ask because his sister found that it was impossible to get between (Engineering) lectures at Cambridge without one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newnham78)
    My son starts at Worcester College next month, to read Physics. Does he need to take his bike? I ask because his sister found that it was impossible to get between (Engineering) lectures at Cambridge without one.
    It's not necessary, it's useful though. The main physics buildings are perhaps a 10-15 minute walk from Worcester so it's perfectly doable, but a bike just gives you more freedom in a pretty bike-friendly town.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all impossible without. But bear in mind that, as a Physicist, he will have lectures most mornings, and a bike gets you 10 minutes more in bed.

ReputationRep:
    he could always see how it goes at the start without a bike then maybe a week or so in decide if he wants to buy one? there are plenty of secondhand bikes for sale there i'm sure (i bought my bike in cambridge a few days after i got there too)

ReputationRep:
    I spent 6 years in Oxford with a significantly longer commute than that and never felt the need to consider a bike.

It's the difference between a 15-20 minute walk and an 8-10 minute bike ride with a minute either side for unlocking etc.

It is off note that there is a huge amount of bike crime in Oxford. Be very careful with any bike of value!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I spent 6 years in Oxford with a significantly longer commute than that and never felt the need to consider a bike.

It's the difference between a 15-20 minute walk and an 8-10 minute bike ride with a minute either side for unlocking etc.

It is off note that there is a huge amount of bike crime in Oxford. Be very careful with any bike of value!
    Cycling is at least 4 times quicker than walking and it takes 10 seconds to lock and unlock it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)

True about the bike crime! Particular hot spots for theft at the station and one or two places around town.

Were you down the Cowley Rd somewhere? I spent two years about half way down, beyond Tesco, and still found it good to bike in. Maybe it's down to how much you like walking.

ReputationRep:
    He'll only be 10 minutes away from the department, so I'd only get one if he wants it for other things too (like getting to sports grounds).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    It's not necessary, it's useful though. The main physics buildings are perhaps a 10-15 minute walk from Worcester so it's perfectly doable, but a bike just gives you more freedom in a pretty bike-friendly town.
    How's your bike mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SalazarSlytherin)
    Cycling is at least 4 times quicker than walking and it takes 10 seconds to lock and unlock it.
    For the non-superman's amongst us, averaging 15mph in the area between worcester and the science area with rush hour traffic, pedestrians and traffic lights is not possible.

It's also impossible to walk what will probably be out of your way, unlock both the d and extension around your other wheel (highly recommended) and pack it safely, plus find a space to park on the other end (not always easy depending on when and where you're going) all in 10 seconds.

For the 6 minute walk from Holywell to Merton I'd arrive at the same time as my friends who took their bike.

But whatever.

ReputationRep:
    If he has a bike, then take it. It's definitely very useful to have one, but not essential if you have to splash out on a new one, but you don't have that problem.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.