Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Why did Christians create such awesome art?

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I think of the greatest artists I think of: Velasquez (Catholic), Raphael (Catholic), Frans Hals (likely Catholic) Rembrandt (likely Calvinist), Vermeer (likely Calvinist), etc. Not to mention of the great (and unknown) Christian architects of the medieval Gothic churches and buildings throughout Europe.

I'm an unrepentant atheist but the Christian Baroque, Gothic, Renaissance, and Romanesque architecture and art are unparalleled in majesty and beauty.

I can't think of any modern architect or painter (Loos or Dali maybe?) who could rival these geniuses. Why don't we have modern versions of those giants? does religion give such a huge artistic inspiration or was it merely a historical accident?

P.S. Picasso or van Gogh (especially the latter) have nothing on them btw. Even Cezanne was a Catholic.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of (old) architecture, I'd argue that some mosques can rival churches and cathedrals - the Blue Mosque is particularly lovely:

I think the grandeur and scale of religious art is pretty breathtaking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    In terms of (old) architecture, I'd argue that some mosques can rival churches and cathedrals - the Blue Mosque is particularly lovely:

It's just derivative Byzantine architecture and it doesn't actually go against what I said.

TBF just about everyone was religious in those days.
    Art was much more valued and patronised by the powerful.
    There were far fewer avenues to channel creative energy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    Whenever I think of the greatest artists I think of: Velasquez (Catholic), Raphael (Catholic), Frans Hals (likely Catholic) Rembrandt (likely Calvinist), Vermeer (likely Calvinist), etc. Not to mention of the great (and unknown) Christian architects of the medieval Gothic churches and buildings throughout Europe.

I'm an unrepentant atheist but the Christian Baroque, Gothic, Renaissance, and Romanesque architecture and art are unparalleled in majesty and beauty.

I can't think of any modern architect or painter (Loos or Dali maybe?) who could rival these geniuses. Why don't we have modern versions of those giants? does religion give such a huge artistic inspiration or was it merely a historical accident?

P.S. Picasso or van Gogh (especially the latter) have nothing on them btw. Even Cezanne was a Catholic.
    they wanted to impress common people with the grandeur of churches and make' em believe in God

ReputationRep:

Been there twice and I love it especially cool geometric designs!

ReputationRep:
    The answer is quite simple: a lot of people and developed economy that allowed people to live more easily than in less developed places

Good that Christianity was not strong enough to make a solid jam. The tritone for example "the devil's chord" was prohibited for some time, but without it Bach's music would not be what it is.

Couldn't come up with worst example, could you?

And yes, arabic nations used to have terrific and innovative architecture, but this...

ReputationRep:
    Historical accident. (I like that term.)

I say it was mostly correlation rather than causation. The times were different. Bigger class divide, more money could be put into large projects, more people could die in the construction, the people to build it were cheaper. Building something like the Taj Mahal today would be much harder for those reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    Bigger class divide, .
    I wouldn't be too sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTMalewski)
    I wouldn't be too sure.
    I'm sure that's been a factor in a-lot of cases. The rich and wonderful were able to have big things built cheaply because workers would be happy with a sandwich and somewhere to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    I'm sure that's been a factor in a-lot of cases. The rich and wonderful were able to have big things built cheaply because workers would be happy with a sandwich and somewhere to sleep.
    Your pension is less than a sandwich for 3% of modern society.
    And good engineers were always well payed. As well as good workers were usually treated well too. They needed strenght and they had to work accurately.

I agree that class differences may have been bigger but only If we compare it some particular periods and places in pre-christian era.

ReputationRep:
    Beauty is Truth and Truth Beauty...

Christianity is the repository of Spiritual Truth, so it is natural that so much Beauty has arisen therefrom

ReputationRep:
    Musical analysis of Bach's 1st prelude in C Major BWV 846 toghether with some knowledge about history of music, seem to debunk such thesis.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.