Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

What careers can i do with a history degree?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am in year 12 and taking History, Classical Civilisation, Business and Economics A- Levels. I think I want to do a history degree and possibly become a teacher, but I don't know for definite. There are many downsides. All of the other jobs I've found with history seem boring to me. What should I do? I don't think I can do work experience at a school because of the pressure of 4 A-Levels but I don't want to drop any of them as I wouldn't know which want to drop. Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Turn the question around slightly - what would you like to do career-wise irrespective of degree? Then work backwards and see what degree would help you get there. Just because you're doing your current subjects doesn't necessarily mean you should do history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Turn the question around slightly - what would you like to do career-wise irrespective of degree? Then work backwards and see what degree would help you get there. Just because you're doing your current subjects doesn't necessarily mean you should do history.
    Thanks, I suppose so. I just don't have an idea at all on what to do! At all! I think I
    constantly think of the downsides of careers. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyd_kate)
    Thanks, I suppose so. I just don't have an idea at all on what to do! At all! I think I constantly think of the downsides of careers. Any advice?
    I'm sure someone will be along shortly to post links to some careers-type websites to help you out. Do you have a careers advisor/teacher at school you could speak to? Have a think about the things you enjoy doing and see if there's a career based around that. Your subjects are split between history and business-type subjects. That keeps lots of options open to you - everything from archaeology to running a business and non-subject-specific jobs like the civil service or police.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, this really is something everyone needs to figure out for themselves. It's ok not to know what you want to do at this stage, just make sure that when you choose a uni degree you've thought seriously about it - it's a big commitment in time, money and effort.

All careers have downsides, you just need to try and make sure the positives outweigh the negatives. Very few people love everything about their jobs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyd_kate)
    Hi I am in year 12 and taking History, Classical Civilisation, Business and Economics A- Levels. I think I want to do a history degree and possibly become a teacher, but I don't know for definite. There are many downsides. All of the other jobs I've found with history seem boring to me. What should I do? I don't think I can do work experience at a school because of the pressure of 4 A-Levels but I don't want to drop any of them as I wouldn't know which want to drop. Thanks x
    Many people with a history degree don't go into a role that involves history, they may take a law conversion course, they may go into one of the many sectors where the degree subject doesn't matter such as in the civil service or working for an MP, many of the various roles within charities such as fundraising, marketing, events, they may go into communications, work for a business (roles vary hugely according to the business) go into HR, the list is pretty long. The key to getting the job is getting as much work experience as possible before graduation and then putting together a strong application.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.