Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    is anyone planning to study this next year?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I applied yesterday, just before the deadline so I haven't heard anything yet.
    Have you had any response?
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have been given a conditional offer and will be starting in september

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    That is awesome, congratulations!
    When did you apply?
    I hope you manage to meet your conditions

ReputationRep:
    I applied on 11th Jan. They were quick replying. I'm on target for their conditions so looking good. Will u be starting in sept as wel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthyds)
    I applied on 11th Jan. They were quick replying. I'm on target for their conditions so looking good. Will u be starting in sept as wel?
    Hiya, sorry for the delay. That is great news, congratulations!
    I am really excited about the course, it couldn't be any better for me. I finished studying a while ago so I'm good to go.

Are you thinking of attending one of the open days? ^^
    I'm yet to track down any other potential classmates apart from OP.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm going to try and get along to the open day this Saturday.
    Ruth

ReputationRep:
    Hey Ruth,
    Fabulous! I hope you enjoy the open day. I had a flick through and saw there is a taster session for the course which sounds really exciting. I am coming over from Sweden for the open day in March, I am really looking forward.
    The university managed accommodation applications open tomorrow too for those that have firmed ^^
    Sarah

ReputationRep:
    Hiya all,
    I went to the open day at Winchester on Saturday and absolutely loved the course and campus. I spoke to a current student who told me that there are only 4 students on the BA course currently and coordinator promised no more than 15 for 2017 intake!
    I have firmed my place on the course and if anybody has please send me a message so we can connect on fb or chat before September.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guysss, also have applied for BA Animal Welfare and Society Absolutely loved the course on the open day and I can't wait to start!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,
    There is now a closed facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1219659994800035/ for this years intake for Animal Welfare and Society at Winchester. Feel free to join!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!! so glad to finally see some other people who want to do this course! I've got an unconditional and am 99% sure i'll accept but the small class size and the fact it seems kind of a useless course are really putting me off... It sounds super interesting and I LOVE the university but I don't know if doing a more practical animal welfare / animal conservation course would be better in the long run..... What made you guys choose this course?
    Sorry, I'm sure this is a really annoying, innapropiate post but I'm just super stuck.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    It is great to hear from another potential student
    A couple of years back I studied a semester of zoology and conservation which I absolutely detested. Not just for the course content which had no animal welfare based modules but because the course was comprised solely of lectures with 100+ other students.
    None of the lecturers knew my name, feedback on even short tests took over a month and I honestly just felt as though I could have studied just as well on my own from books. The small class size means I will get more teacher time and support, faster feedback and a chance to be involved in seminars (as opposed to just listening all the time!).

I had been seeking an animal welfare based course as I hope to work for an animal rights or animal welfare charity in campaigns or as an academic with the end goal of starting my own animal charity one day. This course couldn't be better suited for that. I had considered the animal welfare and behaviour courses that are available elsewhere but the focus seems to be on behaviour with the welfare being a bit of an after thought.

I also think that lecturers are super knowledgeable (https://youtu.be/YwxG9zUCM1I Andrew Knight's talk, the first half is about his career and background) with many coming from veterinary science backgrounds. The degree is a step into most animal based careers unless say, your particularly wanted to be an animal behaviourist where there are dedicated degrees.
    Do you have any ideas of the sort of career you would like to have afterwards? ^^ Thanks for joining the group btw, I will post this in the group too I hope you manage to make your decision soon!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.