Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Dropping out of university

ReputationRep:
    I am currently only a week into university and don't like it. I feel I'm having a dramatic realisation that I'm 23 and just starting university. Nothing seems to click with me, nights out, people I meet, I can't seem to find a common ground with it all. I'm currently studying wildlife conservation so I don't know what I could do after this if I was to drop out. Anyone have any idea or advice? I've been told by many people that if it doesn't make me happy, I shouldn't pursue it, life's too short. I love wildlife but can't come to terms with having a career when I'm 26. I want to start now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xonestepawayx)
    I am currently only a week into university and don't like it. I feel I'm having a dramatic realisation that I'm 23 and just starting university. Nothing seems to click with me, nights out, people I meet, I can't seem to find a common ground with it all. I'm currently studying wildlife conservation so I don't know what I could do after this if I was to drop out. Anyone have any idea or advice? I've been told by many people that if it doesn't make me happy, I shouldn't pursue it, life's too short. I love wildlife but can't come to terms with having a career when I'm 26. I want to start now.
    The first week isn't an accurate picture on what your next 3 weeks is going to be like, stick it out for at least another month.

I'm turning 31 in October and just started, I'm tee-total when it comes to alcohol, has it affected me? No!

ReputationRep:
    Don't drop out too soon. Just enjoy learning course, make new friends, join societies/clubs, etc. Dont be ashamed of your age. Any mature age (+18) can join at uni. Nothing's wrong with that. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people panic during freshers week - it's a big transition. It's ok for things to feel confusing, overwhelming, or out of place. Relax. Everything will settle down soon and you'll be able to get some clarity and perspective on things. You say you love wildlife so you're doing a good degree, and there will be opportunities along the way so that by the time you've finished the degree your career will have a solid foundation. Stick with it for now, and if you still don't like it by Christmas then you'll have given it a good shot. If you drop out now you'll probably regret doing so later. Good luck :-)

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is saying the same thing but hearing it from multiple people might help you out a bit.

I felt like this in my first week, it's extremely over whelming the whole process. At least give it until Christmas and really try hard as then you can't blame yourself if you decide to leave for not trying hard enough!

Don't be so hard on yourself either, freshers week, alcohol, meeting loads of new people aren't what every student likes to do in the beginning. Find your feet first, if you don't feel like blending in right now then that's ok too. You clearly love the idea of the course so give it a moment to love you back. Keep going and good luck

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.